Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

Luckily my Optima is circa 1996 so quality not an issue.

#27 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hmm, I won't go right into the customer service thing. I will just leave it at their products will never go in my vehicle again. People can PM me if they want to know more.

I do not like the idea of having to keep my vehicle on a charger all the time so I am ruling out Odyssey. I do not see the point in spending that amount of money on a battery, then keeping it on a charger constantly, Seems to defeat the purpose in my opinion.

Maybe my best option at the moment is to go with a good quality sealed battery, with an external vent tube. Then charging it whenever I am going to use the car. At the moment I am still trying to work out what direction to take.

#28 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:20 AM

hi torry308,

i rarly drive my lc and the optima battery i brought from advise in this thread has yet to fail. but i do remove the battery from the car when not in use and somtimes i put it on charge. but i hope mine doesnt fail.

Cheers Hayden

#29 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

I usually pulled the terminals from mine when it sat, It didn't stop it failing.

According to the charming distributor I spoke to, you need a good CITEC charger hooked up to the battery otherwise it will sulfate and fail. You need something that charges and maintains the charge. I think the CITEC ones were in the Repco catalouge the other day for around $80 bucks.

#30 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

ar ok i have a ctek charger might hook it up more often.

Cheers Hayden

#31 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

ANY battery will self-discharge over time, some of the better Gel batteries have low self-discharge of around 3%/month, cheaper batteries as high as 15%/month.
So even if you do have the best battery money can buy, you still need to keep it charged or as said by others it will sulphate and die sooner than one that has been maintained correctly. This applies to cars that are driven on the odd occasion and stored for often a few months at a time. More-so if you have an alarm or something fitted, even the memory on your radio or a clock as that drains the battery as well.
A good trickle battery charger like the CTEK ones are very cheap insurance, you only need to save one battery and its paid for itself.

#32 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:11 PM

i've got one in my calais for the torana and its only really small starts the calais no problem.

#33 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:34 AM

We (jaycar) used to sell the battery fighters and yea they worked well, we have now 5 stage chargers which I hear work really well. Clip it on and thats it, leave your car for 3 months if you want. that's exactpy what their designed for. Short and polarity proof so u can't even blow it up.

If youve got a ctek maybe try using that more often but its definitely worth keeping those topped up imho.

Edit: oh I just saw how old this thread is....well they still are a good charger

Edited by Brad1979UC, 16 December 2009 - 04:45 AM.

#34 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

I'm with Torana3008. Odyssey batteries will never be in one of my cars ever again. I had two, one in the daily and one in the Hatch. The daily was driven daily and the Hach every forghtnight at least. They both died around the same time after about 2 and half years. I paid too much for them origonally. When I went shopping for a replacemnt I was asked what I had and the guy at the battery place just laughed and filled me in on the horror storries they had a battery retailer due to the amount of customer failures with the Odyssey product. The ended up dropping Odyssey products as they couldn't get decent service as a retailer so what chance does does a customer have.

#35 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

I'm with Torana3008. Odyssey batteries will never be in one of my cars ever again. I had two, one in the daily and one in the Hatch. The daily was driven daily and the Hach every forghtnight at least. They both died around the same time after about 2 and half years. I paid too much for them origonally. When I went shopping for a replacemnt I was asked what I had and the guy at the battery place just laughed and filled me in on the horror storries they had a battery retailer due to the amount of customer failures with the Odyssey product. The ended up dropping Odyssey products as they couldn't get decent service as a retailer so what chance does does a customer have.

Same thing happened with me. I bought one back in 2001 and just before the warranty ran out it died, I was able to take it back to the place where I bought it from (autobarn) and they said they would send it back to odyssey. I had to pay $30 to cover postage. They sent me a brand new battery. Anyway same thing happened again but this time the warranty period had just run out so there was nothing I could do.

I've still got the battery sitting around, not sure what to do with it? $400 door stop maybe?

Is there any chance of getting batterys rebuilt? I'm a bit pissed off as when I bought it I was hoping I would get near 10 years out of it.

I'll be in need of another battery in a few weeks time, thinking of going with a $100-$150 lead acid battery, but will this be legal in a battery box in the boot?

#36 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

I'll be in need of another battery in a few weeks time, thinking of going with a $100-$150 lead acid battery, but will this be legal in a battery box in the boot?

You should have a sealed battery or a sealed battery box vented to the outside. The gases given off by a lead acid battery are corrosive and explosive. I would be more worried about the boot rusting out or an explosion than a defect.

#37 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

Yeah it would definatly be vented if I went that way, safety is most important. I just don't think I could justify $400 a second time.

You should have a sealed battery or a sealed battery box vented to the outside. The gases given off by a lead acid battery are corrosive and explosive. I would be more worried about the boot rusting out or an explosion than a defect.

#38 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:09 PM

Hi Hayden

I am an Electrican rather then a Auto Electrican, however at work I am responsible for looking after a few hundred batteries and Airservices work on a what is best for the job rather then what is cheapest. (can have planes falling of of the sky, bad for business) We use Centery Dry cell Batteries and Eaton chargers, this is a deep cycle setup not auto motive however if work uses it it must be good.

One bit of advice I do feel qualified to give, heat is an issue that kills battieries in Central / Northern QLD some brands which might be concidered good else where die up here, DeWatt batteries from their battery tool range for example and my advice is talk to the people you buy the battery off as to what to get to maintain, not charge the battery, DO NOT use a charger with a boost feature for quick charging with a dry cell. Unlike a wetcell which will heatup and bubble and survive such punishment in a Dry the cell the Gell will suffate and that will be the end of your battery.

I like the suggestion of dry cell in a competition car

cheers

Michael

#39 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

After researching what battery to buy next I have come across alot of people recommending the Deka Intimidator. I have one ordered and will get it next monday. I got quoted anywhere from $440 to $275 for the 9A34.

Deka Intimidator Brochure

Apparently these are made in the old Optima factory in the USA. I haven't come across many failure stories with them either. They have also been recommended to me by guys who use them in Street/Drag cars.

My car will now have a Cetek charger wired into it to keep the battery at full charge. Hopefully this one lives a bit longer. Only thing that is going to be a pain is now I have to modify the battery tray I originally built, but oh well, the price of a battery that works.

Maybe it is worth us creating a sticky thread with our battery and charger setups for future reference, If the mods are OK with it.

#40 TUF 308

TUF 308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

Deka's are good, had a fella bring a intimadator in the other day was 3 years old and still doing 700cca so plenty of life left in it. deka's motobike batterys are aewsome, harley davidson uses them as OEM on alot of there bikes ie(hard tails) so they cop a flogging.

#41 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

Topic Pinned and i Updated the topic name to include charger info!

Cheers guys, Great information ( Especially about the DEKA battery!)

Thanks!

#42 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

Ok, Time to update here as my Torana now has new battery ETC on board.

The Deka was about the size of a standard Commodore battery, meaning my battery tray had to be reworked slightly and the battery clamp replaced.

The CITEC charger (I am using a CITEC 7000) comes with a quick connect that can be hard wired, so this is now wired direct to the battery with the quick connect plug coming out the back of the battery box at the base. Pop the boot, hook up the quick connect for the charger and close the boot, flick the charger on as you walk out of the shed. You can hear the charger cutting in and out to maintain the battery and prevent sulfation as well.

The DEKA Intimidator turned out to be great value. I picked it up for $275, but got quotes of up to $440 for the same battery ( I rang and gave them the part number, so it was the same battery they were quoting on). To compare the only quote I got on the PC925 Oddysey was $360.

I now have no fear of the car not starting, If anything it starts better than it ever has, leaving the thermo running for half an hour after a run has no effect on it, Seems to be a really really good thing.

I would happily use a DEKA again over anything else. The customer service I got this time was great as well.

Edited by Torana308, 14 March 2010 - 03:24 PM.

#43 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

That is really good information.

I Love nothing more than to hear a positive outcome, and i'm sure the electrical system you have set up will provide a long and happy service life!

Thanks for the update!

#44 TUF 308

TUF 308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

hi guys just for your info, if you are after ctek charges racq online are doing them pretty cheap if you have membership https://secure.racq....p_categoryno=58 listed at $139 cheaper is you have mebership even at that price the xs3600 is the go we sell them at our shop for S147 so its a good deal. ctek 3600 and a yellow top d34 optima and you cant go wrong :)

#45 turbotrana

turbotrana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

I have run a few Optima batteries and what alot of people dont know is that to get an Optima (and maybe other dry-cell batteries) to work you need to increase the charge output of the alternator regulator by 0.5 volts so that the regulator charges at 15volts instead of the standard 14.5.
The way I do this is by placing a diode in the regulator. I have a Commodore that could barely turn over with standard output charging and with this mod it was good. You should be able to find this mod on the net.
But I dont use dry-cells anymore. I use lithium batteries for my starter batteries. Check out my youtube videos and you can see that a small lithium battery will outcrank a standard lead acid no problem

Lithium Battey Vs Lead Acid

#46 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hello All

What would be the best battery to use with a fairly decent stereo?

#47 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Here's a new link to the Deca battery:

http://www.dekabatte...timidator.shtml

Also, here's a Lithium Ion battery:

http://lithiumpros.com/

#48 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Lithium-ion, take out a 2nd mortgage for one these, up to $2k!!!!

#49 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

And lithium ion batteries are VERY dangerous, can catch fire and explode if incorrectly charged!
Not something I would like in my car!

#50 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

LiFePo4 batteries as fitted as optional extra to the Porsche GT3 : http://www.ebay.com....=item35be947805

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users