Restoring a TA torana

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 _BruiserBrad_

_BruiserBrad_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

Ive got a TA torana and im looking at restoring it, its got minimal rust and is still all completely original, interior, exterior, and mechanically. i dont want to butcher its originality but i want to know if anyone knows will i get my money back? like any original mint condition classic car i would get a decent offer but am i digging a hole for myself because im restoring a TA instead of an LJ?? any insight is greatly apreciated as im looking to get started asap!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Just a few pics of my pride and joy

#2 muzzta

muzzta

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

G'day BruiserBrad,
Mate I don't think you will make money on her, but the satisfaction of your work may be enough for you to do it.
Looks like you won't have to do too much but price wise they aren't worth much.
I have a nice TA 2 door and I don't think i could get more than 2 grand for it.
Any offers over that PM me, seriously!!
Best part of the TAS to most torrie owners would be from the firewall back is a beautiful lj shell!!
Plus dash , interior etc. but would hate to see her chopped up.
You will have fun in a nice little torrie , they do the speed limit, and get there a lot
slower than the rest, but it's a torrie and that's a great thing in itself.
Mine will cruise on the speed limit all day and sux bugger all fuel and looks ok, it's the power bit
thats missing bigtime. If it wasn't original I'd throw some motor in it that got it going but
can't take out an original 15,000km motor to do it.
Cheers
Muz
PS
My opinion, I don't think restoring an lj will make you money either unless it'a an xu1/ a9x L34 etc.
It's more about the passion for the cars and keeping them on the road.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by muzzta, 04 February 2009 - 09:05 PM.

#3 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

thats the cutest thing in the world. ever. its like a car but little. :D na id have it i got a soft spot for little slow 4s but its tru they arent really sought after... if i had 2 id buy that.

#4 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

brad, i have a set of hotwires that would look great on that car,,, or i have a set of kidneys if intrested give me a pm.

cheers john

#5 _BruiserBrad_

_BruiserBrad_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

Ok thanks alot muzzta well im still at school and dont really have the knowledge or expertese to do it myself but i got it quoted and its only gunna be around 3-4 and it'll be in near mint condition i only picked it up for 2 i rekon ill have to think about it but id hate to se something so original to be butchered so ill prob fix her up thanks for the advice tho mate, and hey down the track i might get an offer for it or sumthing because its in great contidion and hey its a torana :D :D haha
p.s. sweet ride hopefully i can get mine lookin half as good as yours!

nd john i have a set of kidneys on there that i picked up my mate for free there a bit scratched up with a few dints in there but after a polish there shiny and when ya movin u cant see the scratches haha, thanks for the offer anyway tho.

ill be startin work on it soon nd ill post pics and updates if anyone wants to follow my project
cheers everyone,
Brad

#6 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

3-4, i assume thousand... to do what ??

#7 _BruiserBrad_

_BruiserBrad_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:25 PM

3-4 grand for engine rebuild and rust taken out nd resprayed then id have a fully original interior is 99% good

#8 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

hey mate I doubt you would recover a quarter of that when you sell it... but if its your pride and joy, then that shouldnt really matter..

#9 _BruiserBrad_

_BruiserBrad_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

ok then fellas cheers for everyone's input to the cause, if im not gunna make it back by being original ill prob think about hotting it up a bit then anyone know what i can do engine-wise about making it better? like should i just customize it? or would it be better to see a knew engine go in? i know a straight six wouldnt fit in there without the firewall being modified but what about a v6? or would a four with slightly more grunt suit it better? what do you guys think? im completely open to any ideas once again input greatly apreciated!

#10 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

I've thought bout this with my Hb. Just do something with the 4 banger.

But its very original so I'm undecided.

#11 _BruiserBrad_

_BruiserBrad_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

thats what makes me undecided slr V8 i have myself a completly original torana that only has minor body work to the body and interior to make in near mint condition and i know it aint a XUI / SL/R or a a9x so it dont have that colectors vantage but its still a 35 year old car thats in mint condition and thats got to be worth something no matter what the car is? idk what do people think?

#12 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

Mate, it's a 4 door TA. That car will NEVER be worth anything financially. That's the plain and simple of it.

If it was mine, I wouldn't bother... Sell it for as much as I could and buy an LC/LJ/LH/LX... But if you want to keep it, find a Starfire and work that a bit :D

Tim

#13 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

problem is, once you start modifying the engine etc etc, you end up with a car that doesnt handle or stop real well....

If it was me, id be going RWD 4AGE conversion, or SR20 for a four pot,

other then that, Id be going for a holden V6. (there is one getting around with a S/C V6 in it)

#14 _BruiserBrad_

_BruiserBrad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

ok everyone cheers for the imput,
i think everyones made it clear that upgradings the way to go,
now does anyone have ideas on how i can work the engine up?
id prefer to keep it in there for now but maybe later upgrade to
a v6 but does any one have links or have knowledge of blocks,
carbys, cams or anything that i could do? honestly open to any ideas at all!

Cheers all Brad

#15 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

Have a good read of this thread. I don't think you can put a V6 Commodore in it.

http://www.gmh-toran...amp;hl=starfire

#16 _alex.james_

_alex.james_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

Ive got a TA torana and im looking at restoring it, its got minimal rust and is still all completely original, interior, exterior, and mechanically. i dont want to butcher its originality but i want to know if anyone knows will i get my money back? like any original mint condition classic car i would get a decent offer but am i digging a hole for myself because im restoring a TA instead of an LJ?? any insight is greatly apreciated as im looking to get started asap!

Posted ImagePosted Image
Just a few pics of my pride and joy

I almost bought this car. It was for sale by someone down south at Huntfield Heights a good 18 months ago for a real good price. I lost my nerve though because at the time the motor was stuffed and it wasn't driveable. I wasn't sure how much was wrong with it. Also it had a big dent in the passenger side front back then. I was still interested though because of how little rust it had and the nice state of the interior. After that it appeared on ebay some time later with the problems fixed. I bid on it to then and came second(I guess to you). I've always had a soft spot for TA's. The grill and lights are more ugly than the LC-LJ, but in my opinion the fact that they are so uncommon makes them quite special and a pleasant surprise when you see one. I'd personally love to have a TA like this one done up in nice condition.

#17 _BruiserBrad_

_BruiserBrad_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

I almost bought this car. It was for sale by someone down south at Huntfield Heights a good 18 months ago for a real good price. I lost my nerve though because at the time the motor was stuffed and it wasn't driveable. I wasn't sure how much was wrong with it. Also it had a big dent in the passenger side front back then. I was still interested though because of how little rust it had and the nice state of the interior. After that it appeared on ebay some time later with the problems fixed. I bid on it to then and came second(I guess to you). I've always had a soft spot for TA's. The grill and lights are more ugly than the LC-LJ, but in my opinion the fact that they are so uncommon makes them quite special and a pleasant surprise when you see one. I'd personally love to have a TA like this one done up in nice condition.

haha yeah man i got real lucky ebay screwed up on the last day of biding so he had to relist it and i won it being the only bid saved myself a quid or two coz of that u prob must not have seen it ohwel it in my front yard now haha.

yeah as u said the griil isnt as nice as the lc or lj but hey its a torana and a rare one at that so i love it haha!

#18 _luv the uc_

_luv the uc_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

Does the 4 cyl LJ grill and headlight surrounds fit? If so I have a really good set in chrome. Can email pics if you like.

#19 mranarot

mranarot

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:turbo lj

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

put a gemini motor in it cost F.All and go well

#20 _BruiserBrad_

_BruiserBrad_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

ok so im really considering doing a gemmi engine conversion, i thought about it and now im prety keen, does anyone know of this swap before? will the engine fit in there? any pics or links will be greatly apreciated! will i need to upgrade anything else? brakes? gearbox? any help please as i want to start looking for parts!

cheers again everyone
Brad

#21 _luv the uc_

_luv the uc_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

I have a LJ 4 cyl delux with disc front if your interesed in a quick bolt on upgrade. Assuming the HB is drum front that is.

#22 _BruiserBrad_

_BruiserBrad_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

I have a LJ 4 cyl delux with disc front if your interesed in a quick bolt on upgrade. Assuming the HB is drum front that is.

nah mate i already got disc brakes on the front, not sure when they were put on but they were on wen i got the car nd they work a dream best stopping in all the cars we got at home.

cheers for the reply anyway mate

brad

#23 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

nah mate i already got disc brakes on the front, not sure when they were put on but they were on wen i got the car nd they work a dream best stopping in all the cars we got at home.

cheers for the reply anyway mate

brad

Front disc brakes were a common option on HB from 'Day 1' & standard on the Brabham versions.

The drums were that bad that many were converted to discs in the 70s, as the parts were plentiful at wreckers.

Dr Terry

#24 _alex.james_

_alex.james_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

ok so im really considering doing a gemmi engine conversion, i thought about it and now im prety keen, does anyone know of this swap before? will the engine fit in there? any pics or links will be greatly apreciated! will i need to upgrade anything else? brakes? gearbox? any help please as i want to start looking for parts!

cheers again everyone
Brad

Are you talking about the Isuzu Piazza Turbo that people put in their Gemini's these days or the standard Isuzu 1600 motor that the Gemmi's have? I have an RB & a TD Gemmi and I seriously doubt they have much more power than a 4 banger Torana. A bit, but doesn't seem worth the effort to me unless you are going to go for a 2 litre or the turbo.

#25 torana?

torana?

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

a few years ago i talked to a guy from Milton performance and he said that Castlemaine Rod Shop sold a conversion kit to put a gemini engine in a 4 cyl torana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users