steering rack shaft bush

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _maz327_

_maz327_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

Help! I'm putting my LH torana rack back together and thought I had better replace the outer bush in the rack which I assume is the original steel bush. Bought a kit which includes a nolathane bush. This bush looks way different to the original and I have no idea whether it will actually fit or not, so I'm a bit dubious about pulling out the old one. Is this new bush OK? (see photo below) If so, how is it held into the rack body? The old one has a pin through the housing as shown on the photo. Hope the photos below show what I'm talking about.

Any help would be great!!!! Cheers, Matt

Attached Files

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

The blue bush looks like a Commodore one.
The 3 lugs around one end clip into an annular grove in the Commodore racks.
I'm not sure about Torana.

#3 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

Thia is what a Torana LH LX one should look like.
Posted Image
The clear one on the left is possibly a original GMH one (i have seen these in different colours too).
The blue one one on the right is Noltec replacement.

They look very different but fit just the same.
At the time I did mine, the clear one felt it was made of tougher material and had 3 high spots(friction pints) in the inner
circular hole that the shaft rubs and is guided. The outer is is more hex shaped and allows the gear oil to flow to the boot side.
The Noltec one felt slightly softer but has a hexagonal inner hole allowing 6 frictions points to rub on shaft
and allows oil to pass throught the inner hole . The outer diameter is cirular and was a tight fit.
Dont really know the long term effects of this design change in the bush.

Edited by fuzzypumper, 07 February 2009 - 11:42 PM.

#4 _maz327_

_maz327_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

Thia is what a Torana LH LX one should look like.
Posted Image
The clear one on the left is possibly a original GMH one (i have seen these in different colours too).
The blue one one on the right is Noltec replacement.

They look very different but fit just the same.
At the time I did mine, the clear one felt it was made of tougher material and had 3 high spots(friction pints) in the inner
circular hole that the shaft rubs and is guided. The outer is is more hex shaped and allows the gear oil to flow to the boot side.
The Noltec one felt slightly softer but has a hexagonal inner hole allowing 6 frictions points to rub on shaft
and allows oil to pass throught the inner hole . The outer diameter is cirular and was a tight fit.
Dont really know the long term effects of this design change in the bush.

THANKS FOR THE INFO. AFTER REMOVING THE OLD BUSH I HAVE DISCOVERED THERE ARE NO GROOVES IN THE HOUSING FOR THE LUGS ON THE NEW BUSH TO FIT INTO. ANY IDEAS WHERE TO FROM HERE? CHEERS, MATT

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Wrong kit ?

MacKay does a kit part # Kit31K for Torana LH-UC rack

#6 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

From what I remember those six lugs on the blue bush fit into the groove shown in the picture below just like the 3 lugs on the original bush. Of course the rack needs to be removed from housing.

DATTOMAN, which one are you saying is the wrong kit?

The noltec number for the kit I got was N11049.
Good luck finding a Kit31K and that part number is also same as Nolathane but they simply dont make it anymore or they didnt when I was looking.

Posted Image

Edited by fuzzypumper, 09 February 2009 - 09:27 PM.

#7 _maz327_

_maz327_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hi again guys, it is actually kit31k that I've got (old stock that rarespares had). Anyway after taking the old steel bush out it does not have any 'lugs' at all, and the housing has no groove to allow the new plastic bush lugs to slot into.

#8 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

Is this rack actually off your car or did you buy it?

#9 _maz327_

_maz327_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

No not off my car, bought steering rack from rarespares who told me it was straight off an LH front end they were wrecking. Cheers, Matt

#10 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

Maybe that is the problem?
Maybe it's not LH?

#11 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

You will find some part numbers in these threads.

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=30566

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=18974

#12 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

Dont know how much this will help you but I just went out and had a look at a LX rack which came off a sunbird with the
first generation RTS(pre UC RTS) with part number 9942632 and date stamped 24-11-77 and it takes the same bushes I pictured
in the earlier reply which has the groove in the housing and are also the same as the UC rack.

I also have an LH rack part 9932244 but unfortunately that one is still mounted on subrame, in working condition, full of oil and sorta
cant get to because how its stored. It may very well be different as you are suggesting.

Edited by fuzzypumper, 11 February 2009 - 11:36 AM.

#13 _maz327_

_maz327_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys - I can't read the serial number on the rack unfortunately. I'm stuck with this rack so I'll have a groove machined in it. Hopefully this info is helpfull for someone else in the future. Cheers, Matt

Edited by maz327, 11 February 2009 - 05:05 PM.

#14 notna

notna

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Name:Reverse of username
  • Car:1976 LX L32 SL/R

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Apologies for the thread revival. A Google search is great for bringing things back from the dead ;)

I'm looking at my own steering rack, trying to work out if I need to replace the outer bush, as discussed in this thread. How much play, if any, should be in this bush, before you need to replace it? Mine seems to have a noticeable amount of side movement, which I'm sure probably shouldn't be there.

Given that it's now 2014, 5 years on from the last post in this thread, what's the "best" replacement for this bush these days?

Cheers.

#15 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

The bush should have minimal to no play at all (oil clearance),it is on the long side of rack and on the off road side and cops a hiding if driven on our roads.

Just been looking at this thread again and it has been said that the casting #s may not indicate ratio but just looked at the junk laying around and 

on all 3 UC's the # is 277 (last 3 #'s),the LH/X racks are 244,froks me what the 632 came off but if the ratio/cast #s are right seems like a good one for the UC.

Had to replace that bush not long ago and thought they were all the same,turns out that the ones i got made up for the LH about 10yrs ago would not push in to

the UC rack,reason being that the housing and the rack end shaft on the 277(UC) are different sizes compared to the 244,dont remember the ID of the 244 but the rack end shaft on the 244 is 25.4mm aprox compared to 25 on the 277...probably .4mm smaller on the ID of UC rack to keep things even.

nothing wrong with digging up old threads,you never know what will come up.

Better off to get some made as per original shape with the 3 grooves for oil flow,tried some of them other ones,they just don't last,cheaper to get 3 or 4 made at once,can't remember the material but it was something like "lubron' or some oil resistant pre-lubricated nylon stuff. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users