Bathurst Motor Racing Museum

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

Lots of you have probably been here but I took a trip up there yesterday and took a few photos of the current display.

28C is a replica.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

BEST LOOKING RACE CAR EVER!!! :clap:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

Aww man you got some that weren't there when I went like the Repco Commodore, mate that car is a friggin legend.

Heres a couple that were there when I visited a few years back...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

The Goss Ford number 1 is actually owned by a Broken Hill guy i am friends with.I did a lot of the signs on the vehicle when he was restoring it.Its sounds awsome when he gives it a bit of stick........even for a FORD

ROODOG

#4 _Pallbag_

_Pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

Were you there alone, no-one in the background of any of the piccies ...

#5 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

Two hours and nobody else there. Very enjoyable time without any interference.

I've got a walk around video that I'll post soon.

#6 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

Video is up on Youtube.

Bathurst Motor Museum Feb 2009

The red EH shown towards the end looks a little out of place until you find out that its an extremely rare and genuine 'S4' model.

Only 150 made and very few left.

Edited by CraigA, 01 March 2009 - 09:21 PM.

#7 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

Hmmm... just talking to the missus, saying I gotta do a road trip with the oldest (6 1/2).

She says "Why don't ya? You've got enough A/L up your sleeve!"

I think "Yeah!!! Leave him at home and smoke 'em up down the street screamin "Laaaateeer!!!"... then it hits me... You're a Father, take him with you... you idiot!!!"

So I might just do it! :huh:
The last time I went through the museum was 2002... there wasn't anything of that quality there then!!!
Thanks for the pics CraigA!!!! (it's all your fault!!!!!! :stirpot: :spoton: )

Road trip!!!!!!

Edited by knoath, 01 March 2009 - 09:30 PM.

#8 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

Looks like you have started a domestic Craig....

Wayne

#9 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:48 AM

The thing that I most like is the "as driven" state of many of the cars... Its like a you are in a time warp and looking at them just after they finished racing.

I bought some origianal left over stickers for my collection, just a shame i never got any ot the origianal Hardie Ferado 500 stickers as they only had the later Hardie Ferado 1000.

I have also visited Fred Gibson workshop many years ago and Dick Johnsons workshop a few years back as well. Maybe I am crazy but if someone could list some other workshops in Sydney/Brisbane areas so next time I am over that way I make time to visit.

#10 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

2 road trips in two years for both boys.

Both Perth Sydney

Christmas 07 took the older lad to Bathurst for the 'Drive Bathurst' event with the torry. I remember we had the museum to ourselves for hours, and when we were thrown out there were only a couple of other's in there.

Christmas just gone took the young bloke to Sydney to bring a race car and trailer back.

Both times i had my old man with me so it was a 3 gen thing as well.

Good times, id say Do It !

#11 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

I need to visit one day looks like a great place to lose an hour or three those cars are the reason im addicted to 70s muscle cars thanks for sharing pics awsome. :clap:

#12 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hi Craig,

Nice photo's of all the cars,

John.

#13 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

Great photos

Me and Barry went there on the way back from toranafest we too were the only ones there a great place.
Spewing the Brock rally car not there then

#14 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

One question I have as I never saw the Repco commy, how big is the dent/crease in the roof that brocky told someone an angry ford driver did but it was when it nearly end for ended? :)

Can I use the pics of on my website?

#15 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

Use the pics anywhere you want but post a link here so we can see the rest of your site.

Not sure about the dent in the roof but thought it was great how this car has never been cleaned since the rally. Even has bird crap on the roof and mud spray under the guards.

#16 _Mop_

_Mop_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

What models the black jag in the 19th pic? And what model car is in the 10th and 11th pics?

Cheers
mop.

#17 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

The Jag is British Racing green and is a '84/85 V12 XJS.

The car is a replica built by John Goss of the car that won at Bathurst in 1985 under the Group A rules.

The 10/11th pics are of a VB Commondoor used in the '79 Repco Round Australia reliability event. The car is genuine and is basically untouched since the event.

Edited by CraigA, 04 March 2009 - 12:44 PM.

#18 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

Use the pics anywhere you want but post a link here so we can see the rest of your site.

Not sure about the dent in the roof but thought it was great how this car has never been cleaned since the rally. Even has bird crap on the roof and mud spray under the guards.

My apologies for not updating the site much over the years but I have been too busy with other things in my life :)
http://holden.itgo.com

#19 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for that post Craig.... :spoton:

I have never been there...but one day. Those pictures were awesome and will hold me over until I get there.

#20 _purpleLC_

_purpleLC_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Great pics Craig, thanks.

Those ford hardtops still look good, dont they.

The Brocky rally car, just curious to what the engine number
prefix is. I know they had an XU1 spec motor in them.

#21 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

The Goss Ford number 1 is actually owned by a Broken Hill guy i am friends with.I did a lot of the signs on the vehicle when he was restoring it.Its sounds awsome when he gives it a bit of stick........even for a FORD

ROODOG

The other two Goss cars were redone here in Canberra, and owned by Goss. Got to meet him a couple of times while they were doing them. He still has his original mechanic in toe.

#22 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

The Goss Jag is actually the one that broke the clutch in 84 on the start line, but Goss has made it into the 85 car.
Isn't it a shame someone else claims to own the 84 Brock VK. For anyone in any doubt, look at the car carefully, then look at the big picture of it on the wall in the 84 race then make your own mind up....

#23 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

Mick

I have to ask, what makes you think that the one at Bathurst is the 05 car? I have seen both, the champion on ethis year and I beg to differ..

cheers
Mick

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:38 AM

A few reasons. One of the major ones was Brock was the only person to say Champion has the 05 car, the rest of the team says no. When the car was donated to the museum in the first place back in the mid 80's, it came without an engine. It was returned to HDT to have the engine fitted. The woman who worked there at the time told me when the car came back, it was like it was a different car. The original car they had was fresh, the car they got back looked like it has just finished racing. The rumor floating at the time was the guy who wanted the car in WA stuffed Brock around, so Brock swapped the cars back around so he didn't get 05. Someone I know also has photographic proof, however the shitfight it would cause is not worth his showing it. If you are in the museum, look at the drivers side of the car, then look at the massive picture they have of the car on the wall on pit straight during the 84 race, you will see every little mark on the car matches up. You'll also see doors and guards are easy to change, the roof however is the original 05. Peter Brock was a very vain person and to see his 05 car in the museum for all time would have suited his ego to a T. Of course, CAMS could clear this up if the copies of the log books hadn't all disappeared....strange that.

#25 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

I am still not convinced, either way. If this car is as it finished the race, then neither match pictures I have of both crossing the finish line in '84 (Bathurst 1984 by Chevron). In that picture, neither car has the "battle damage" to the front bar, as the one at the Bathurst Museum has. :blink: how is that so??

One thing that confuses the whole issue is that the PC car in QLD has the correct external mirror..

I suppose we will never really know the truth. That went to the grave back in 2006..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users