#1 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Does this number stamped in to the back of this head identify it as a true yella terra?
Looks like a date code? 05B92

Are there any other markings to be found besides valves etc?

The other head is stock 202 for comparison.

Posted Image

#2 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

Dunno about red 9-port heads but the 12-port I have doesn't have 'HOLDEN' in raised letters as Yella Terra cast there own 12-port head and the finish is better.

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

Yep 12 ports were a completely different story, and they are rare as Hens teeth unfortunately. YT just used Holden red heads incase anyone reading didn't know already, I think for sixes and eights.

Rob, could you get a few photos of the rocker setup on this head for me? Even if you just e-mail it, I would appreciate it greatly :) I want to confirm what the rockers are from, in addition to a few other things

#4 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

Rocker pics here:
http://www.gmh-toran.......=34071&st=0

#5 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

Thanks mate. Ripper

#6 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:20 AM

Rodomo
you might be onto somthing here i am not interested in y/t heads but have come in contact with a few over the years and i have 2 what look to be genuine y/t 9 port type the classic unforgetable "stage 3" style with y/t valves they both have a stamping in the same area one has 12 82 and the other 7 82 and i have another one that has had vey simalar treatment but did not have y/t valves in it it did not have any code in that area.

Thanks Hayden

#7 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

yet i have one that doesn't seem to have a stamping,,,but I have to check my other one out....good find.

#8 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

pretty sure mine has similar stampings to yours rob, will look

#9 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

here is a pic of the heads i have
Posted Image

Thanks Hayden

#10 Ferg

Ferg

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Car:72 LJ XU1 rep

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

Heres a couple :blink:

Posted Image
Posted Image

what does it all mean :fool:

#11 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

I reckon they're all reco dates, similar to Holden cast dates.
Mine reads 05 B 92 (though hard to see in pic) which might interpret as 5/2/92?
(B being February like Holden?)

It would appear going by others pics that perhaps, somewhere in time, they decided to unify their stamping methods?

Your second pic might be the reason for unification? :blink:

#12 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:30 AM

Heres a couple :blink:

Posted Image
Posted Image

what does it all mean :fool:

It looks like you have 2 totally different number stamps...
One says 2/80
One says 1/767 (maybe he got the year wrong as was is the first month of 77)

#13 _clubspClubsportr8ortr8_

_clubspClubsportr8ortr8_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hi all,929 head is definately a high comp 173 head as i still have the motor from my LJ in the shed and 930 is from a low comp 202 motor around the 72 vintage and hayden can confirm as he has this now.Y/T heads are funny as some have date codes and some don't as the 4 here i have only 3 have date codes and one just has a V.Those heads you have hayden look familar lol.I also have one done with chev valves which was done alot of years ago and has 9415 stamped near where the front exhaust head bolt goes and one done by betta built there roadrunner stg3 and it has SW stamped on the back.Thanks hayden at least i will get some use from the head now.Interesting reading will get some pics posted shortly.

Jeff

#14 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

Jeff
what he said^^^^they were chev valves hey not 308 ones. yeah i thought you might have seen them before hehe. so you have some y/t ones that have the simalar stampins on them.we are running a 930 head on our lc and it is open chamber.

Thanks Hayden

#15 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

Hey Ferg, got 1 with exact same date as yours.

Whats a 9937263, 4J9, Hi comp head off?
Were they graded in stages by the amount of work
done & the equipment fitted?
If so then whats this one.

Cheers Jono

Attached Files

• Attached File  YTerra.jpg   338.91K   26 downloads
  • Attached File  YT2.jpg   358.13K   30 downloads
  • Attached File  YT3.jpg   290.28K   24 downloads
  • Attached File  YT4.jpg   398.69K   21 downloads

#16 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

Were they graded in stages by the amount of work
done & the equipment fitted?

I'm begining to think that.
And i'm also thinking (from memory) that early YT valves didn't have YT on them.

Stage 1 ?
Stage 2 ?
Stage 3 ? in the early days?

This is coming from buying a YT head for my HK Monaro back in 1977ish?

#17 _HQ SS_

_HQ SS_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

Jono.
I have a 9937263 head listed has a 173/2850 ADR27A head
4J9 means it was cast on the 4th of September 1979 so off a VB commodore I would think ( HR's and HQ are more my thing ).

If you can all bare with me on this I have been trying to sort a head ID guide out for red heads and we appreciate any comments and corrections
on what I have so far.
On the stage 1, 2 and 3 thing.
There is always a lot of different views to that one but if you have a look at this picture

http://gallery.oldho...ageViewsIndex=1

and this one

http://gallery.oldho...ageViewsIndex=1

That is what perfectune (Y/T) called a stage three back then.
Interesting to note in this advert stage 1, 2 and 3 heads which are listed as hand finished items and Yella Terra as a separate item and is listed as machine modified.
Rodomo I was also told that the early Y/T heads did not have Y/T on the valves and looking at that picture those valves do not have the Y/T on them.

I was told years ago a stage one had slighty over size valves and it had been throated to suit those valves. With basically minor port work done.
stage two was std inlet post removed and a insert post fitted with both inlet and exhaust ports were ported and match ported to the inlet gasket with slight larger than stage 1 valves fitted.
Stage 3 I always thought looked like this.

Posted Image

Where the inlet posts had been removed totally and a Hex head bolt was used instead of a std head bolt.
they also had duel springs, larger that stage 2 valves and had been decked.

But after looking back through my old magazines and finding the adverts in the links above I know that is not right.

But to add to that I have now been told that they tried the removal of the post altogether as in the picture and they had problems with the heads cracking so then they went to the insert post design instead.
Like in Jono's no 3 picture.
If you have a look here
http://gallery.oldho...ines/red heads/
I have a selection of pictures which now have to be renamed showing a std head, a slightly modified head (stage 1)and a more modified head (Stage 2 which is actually possibly really a stage 3 head)
Since doing these pictures I have been doing a pictorial record of casting numbers verse chamber designs which is here.
http://gallery.oldho...yl Casting ids/

The only problem is that I have came across one casting number with two designs.
Both of these heads are modified with larger valves and the second picture is a possible Y/T head where as I am not so sure if the first one is a Y/T or not.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both are 7429477 casting number heads one with a B97 9 2 67 date code and the other with a B237 23 2 67 date code but as you can see totally different chamber designs.
Any ideas on this anyone

So from this I am interested in any pictures I can come across of any other chamber/casting pictures that I do not have.
Cheers Paul.

#18 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

Posted Image

Thanks Paul, links saved. :spoton:

VitcLJ has a head like this one and might be able to shed some light on it's origin?

Edited by rodomo, 26 March 2009 - 09:35 PM.

#19 _HQ SS_

_HQ SS_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

Something else about all this is that there were and still are a lot of people modifying these types of heads.
So to come up with a stage rating will be hard to do I think.
I myself have had heads that have had far more work done to them than any I have now and any I have seen pictures of lately.
Some of the speed way and racing heads I have had were right on the limit of what you could do to a red head and would possible
rate up to the mythical stage 5 etc.
Something interesting with the date codes on these heads so far is that they are all from the early eighties which I would have thought would have been the real peak of when the red heads were being modified on a regular basis.
It may end up being that this was something they did on later heads maybe at the same sort of time they started using valves with Y/T on them.
In the colour ad of the red head (in with the other pictures in my shed) which is from the late 70's early 80's it still shows flat un embossed valves.
Cheers Paul.

#20 Ferg

Ferg

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Car:72 LJ XU1 rep

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

Same chamber shape here......were they machined like this by YT or is this shape standard
Its in between high and lo comp
Cast # 7420109 possibly 149 EH

Posted Image

:<_<:

#21 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

Some of the speed way and racing heads I have had were right on the limit of what you could do to a red head and would possible rate up to the mythical stage 5 etc.

VitcLJ's head is like an egg shell in places :blink:

#22 _TRRANA_

_TRRANA_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:30 AM

Heres some pics of my YT head im selling on ebay at the moment, with the stampings on the side... not so sure what all this means...

first is the number "7" then theres stamped "?87 8" with "YT" stamped on the valves
Attached File  yt_stamp7.JPG   35.65K   14 downloads Attached File  yt_stamp.JPG   24.65K   11 downloads Attached File  yt_valve.JPG   48.82K   18 downloads Attached File  ports_yt.JPG   46.94K   15 downloads

7420105 H244
Attached File  yt_top.JPG   59.74K   16 downloads

#23 _HQ SS_

_HQ SS_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:53 PM

Ok so Ferg's head is a 7420109 But with a open chamber design like the 7429477 head I posted a picture of above.
I would be interested to know a date code on that one and also if it is a a H or a L cast head.
Also if the L or H is at the front of the head as the 7420109 head I have is a H high comp head with the H at the front of the head
and it looks like this.

Posted Image

So another case of two chamber designs to one cast number.
TRRANA
H244 means the 24th of 8th 1964 and are the other numbers on the rear face of the head.
You have listed your head as a 7420105 not a 7420109 and by the looks of the picture that is what it says as well. (So is it actually a 109 or a 105 head )
It has the same open chamber design as Ferg's head and not the same as the 7420109 I have and also the the picture I posted above
with the inlet post cut out is a 7420109 head with the same chamber design as the picture in this post.
I wonder if they are actually 105 heads for one and 109's for the others.
I have been told that the same casting numbers were used for different chamber designs and this may actually be the case.
I have also been told that early on Y/T just used new and second hand red heads and then modified them to there specs.
Then later on they bought the molds from holden and cast there own heads from these molds.
I am wondering if that is what we are seeing here same cast number but different chamber designs.
I would be interested to see if anyone has std un modified versions of these cast numbers (and any others) to see what the chamber designs are
like compared to these Y/T type heads.
Cheers Paul.

#24 _HQ SS_

_HQ SS_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:04 PM

This is a picture of the chamber on the 7420109 head with the inlet post removed.

Posted Image

As you see the same basic design as the std 7420109 head in the above post, when you take in to account that it has been
shaved enough to remove the thumb print in the actual chamber.

#25 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

so the date code on rear of the y/t heads is not the date they were dome?

Hayden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users