I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

What are you trying to host them as? A gmail attachment or something? I suspect that it's something that gmail doesn't want to be viewed publically

#27 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

Nope, just Picasa web. I think I've figured it out; they seem to be alternating the URLs around using different servers/subdomains to spread the load, but some (e.g. lh3.ggpht.com as at time of writing) aren't available at different times!

Stupid thing, back to Photobucket I guess, harder to use every which way but at least it works.

dscn0017.jpg

dscn0018.jpg

dscn0026.jpg

Edited by 76lxhatch, 21 July 2017 - 11:02 PM.

#28 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

Anyway, bottom end is now assembled:

dscn0028.jpg

#29 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

Nice looking hatch, looks like a really good job

#30 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:47 PM

Thanks cruiza

Not much visible progress this week but the diff is assembled and back in, also finally got around to changing the rear sway bar to a slightly modified 18mm Commodore item with the links attached to the upper arm mounts. Also been cleaning and painting engine parts, the plan is to get it back in by the end of the coming week.

Less than 5 weeks to deadline... :dohdoh:

#31 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

nice work to an already awesome looking hatch , keen to see it complete.

#32 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

Thanks, you and me both!

#33 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

Looks like you have been busy. I bet you can't wait to fire up that engine. I love the sound of fresh engines.

#34 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

Yep not sure how long it will be before that happens though because I've still yet to sort out the fuel tank. Might just run a hose into a container to get it started

It looks very dirty (camera flash made it worse), but here is a pic of the sway bar if anyone is interested:

dscn0030.jpg

#35 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

Not a mod I have seen before what is the advanage over normal mounting of sway bar, on NZ roads mounting like that leaves it open to road rash from lumps in the road

#36 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

Road rash won't be an issue, it all tucks up nicely enough (no worse than any other car). The theory is that the bar attached to the diff with links to the chassis is much more effective than the old style bolted to the lower arms, will be interesting to see how much difference it makes. If anything I'm a little concerned that it may be too stiff but being a Commodore bar it will be easy to downgrade to a 16mm or even 14mm if necessary.

#37 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

The sway bar mounted on the trailing arms has to be stronger/thicker than a decoupled swaybar to perform the same job. The factory trailing arm mounted swaybar is about 22mm, my K-MAC decoupled swaybar is 18 mm.

The reason is that for every inch of suspension movement the decoupled swaybar moves significantly more than the trailing arm mounted swaybar. This gives the decoupled swaybar more leverage than the trailing arm mounted swaybar.

#38 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

That makes sense thank you for that, looking at the picture it appeared that it sat lower then standard bar and as from experience in NZ the bottom of my diff had marks on it from hitting the road, I thought it might be at risk

#39 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

The nose of the car is quite high in the air (high enough to get the engine and cross member out) so the angles are a little deceiving, although the bar is a touch (10mm?) below the diff. How on earth did you hit the diff centre on the road though? Some Dukes of Hazzard stuff there by the sounds of it! :lol: There's no way that part will hit the ground, I thought you meant stones and crap flying up and hitting the links...

#40 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

Bottoming out on shitty high-centre roads? Still sounds like a long shot to me though. Bloody weird, sure they weren't marks from the jack? lol

BTW I've found photobucket to be very unreliable at times. Recently it has been much better though. I agree it's not the most pleasant thing to use, but it could be a lot worse.

#41 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

Maybe a 9 inch hangs down a bit lower and the odd kerb or steep shoulder is a problem. Mine would get beached on the front sway bar, cross member and exhaust flanges before I got as far as the diff...

Photobucket usually works ok for me (you can obviously see the pics now), just hard work as I can't find anything to automatically upload, I have to do it through the browser.

I've been offered some kind assistance from an engineer with welding the appropriate bits on to the new stainless drop tank so that's another step forward today :)

#42 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

The nose of the car is quite high in the air (high enough to get the engine and cross member out) so the angles are a little deceiving, although the bar is a touch (10mm?) below the diff. How on earth did you hit the diff centre on the road though? Some Dukes of Hazzard stuff there by the sounds of it! :lol: There's no way that part will hit the ground, I thought you meant stones and crap flying up and hitting the links...

Mate you have no idea how bad a road can get, on minnor roads nice and twisty big trucks will come thru and the soft soil under the road will cause a hollow spot maybe 50- 100mm deep and at the same time push up a bulge in the centre line between the axles of the truck 50 - 150 mm high, The underside of my car was roughed up so bad exhaust sump front subframe and diff. I welded an extra plate under the front cross member to protect the sump even so I twice holded the sump from hiting lumps in the road, not rocks or anything on the road but the road itself, as for dukes of hazard how did you know about that part of my life :D yep driving Miss Daisy

#43 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:08 AM

Holed sumps? Wow! The roads around here are pretty bad with potholes, dodgy seal repairs and edges, and of course the truck wrinkles you are talking about but not 250mm undulations! Most times I travel out of town I'm amazed at how much better the roads are than here, where in the country is that? Talk about ruining your driving experience

#44 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

Holed sumps? Wow! The roads around here are pretty bad with potholes, dodgy seal repairs and edges, and of course the truck wrinkles you are talking about but not 250mm undulations! Most times I travel out of town I'm amazed at how much better the roads are than here, where in the country is that? Talk about ruining your driving experience

Pot holes don't get me started on pot holes, brand new set of tires driving 100km/hr at night mid corner pot hole blown tire stuffed and one mag spilt and that was Statehighway No one South of Auckland.

In the far North on some of the back roads is where I found some road rash also road from Napier to Wairoa lovely bit of road if you like a challenage 100km that will take you two hours of hard driving, be warned in winter, snow, black ice and all year round water runing across road, I think maybe more % cars written off on that road then any other in NZ but what a fun drive

#45 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

Its starting to look like an engine again!

dscn0032.jpg

Also picked up some steel to make straps for the drop tank and some pipe and mandrel bends for the new exhaust system biggrin.gif

Edited by 76lxhatch, 21 July 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#46 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

She's coming along very nicely mate!!! Keep up the good work!

#47 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

getting close, bet your looking forward to hear it running again

*slaps wrist for going off topic* lol

#48 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:00 PM

I achieved the main goal for the week, just:

dscn0036.jpg

Edited by 76lxhatch, 21 July 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#49 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:47 PM

looking real good :)

#50 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

I see you have cork rocker cover gaskets, there is a solid rubber rocker cover gasket available which is more reliable.

http://www.speco.com.au/accgasket.html

eBay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users