• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Name:Rabs
  • Car:1977 Holden Torana LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hey Guys,

Im in the process of fitting a 304 motor and t5 manual gear box out of a VR commodore into an LX torana.

Im having problems trying to fit the T5 box into the torana. The tunnel looks small.

Would the gear box fit into the torana or is it too big?

I have also been told that the linkage is going to sit a little further back then normal. Is that going to be a problem?

Im hoping this tranmssion will fit in my LX cause i have spent big dollars on the gear box.

#2 Joshua

Joshua

Lotsa Posts!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Name:Joshua

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

tunnel needs modding

heres a thread about it
http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=33744

#3 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

tunnel needs modding

heres a thread about it
http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=33744

Thanks for that Joshua!

How hard is it to mod the tunnel?

Can i do it my self ?

#4 Joshua

Joshua

Lotsa Posts!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for that Joshua!

How hard is it to mod the tunnel?

Can i do it my self ?

can you weld?

#5 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

no need for welding! ive fitted one into my torry with no hassels all the needs to be done is for the hole in the floor to be cut back further then i made a plate to cover the front and screwed it on.. motor and gearbox wont go in together so get motor in first and slide the gearbox in from underneath it takes a bit of time but should fit.. as far as i know its only for the v6 that the tunnel has to be modded to suit the t5

Cheers Ben

#6 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

no need for welding! ive fitted one into my torry with no hassels all the needs to be done is for the hole in the floor to be cut back further then i made a plate to cover the front and screwed it on.. motor and gearbox wont go in together so get motor in first and slide the gearbox in from underneath it takes a bit of time but should fit.. as far as i know its only for the v6 that the tunnel has to be modded to suit the t5

Cheers Ben

Thanks Ben, As long as there is no welding required i should be ok (I cant weld)

I have already tried to fit the T5 V8 in and it gave me hell. Its so difficult.

However i will make the hole for the floor bigger and i will try it again. Is there a template i can work of for the hole?

I was thinking of fitting the entire motor and box in one, but u have suggested that it is easier to fit the box in seperately.

Its going to brake my arms and back but i will try again.

The t5 cross member for the box is obviously too short to fit in my LX. Can i modify my 202 auto cross memeber mount to fit the t5? That mount originally came out of my lX.

#7 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

Drop the front end and fit motor and box together, will be much easier and no big scrapes on the car squeezing the box in

#8 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

Drop the front end and fit motor and box together, will be much easier and no big scrapes on the car squeezing the box in

#9 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Thanks mate, thats not a bad idea. Il drop the front end and fit the motor and box in one.

If it works, it will be allot easier than trying to squeze the box in.

#10 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

I appriciated the information i got from the site but sometimes i think people just type shit in without knowing what they are talking about!
No offence intended at all... just easy for people to be led astray as i did!
Tunnel does not need to be modified at all.
Dropping the front out of the car is a painfull and time consuming way of doing it too.

I cracked gearbox from motor n fitted motor seperatly, with jack under front motor, tilted back then slid box underneath lifted up, slid shaft in and bolted up.
2 top bolts are a bit of a bitch to get to but much easier than dropping whole front out of car!!!

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

Dropping the front out of the car is a painfull and time consuming way of doing it too.

Not really, it depends on how tight the box is as to which method is easiest. The larger boxes take a lot of work to maneouvre(sp?) in and out separately, which is definitely a pain. If you don't have any way to lift the car over the engine then perhaps separate them, but if you can do so easy enough then in my experience remove the front end is not only much easier but results in less damage.

#12 MR77LX

MR77LX

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

I appriciated the information i got from the site but sometimes i think people just type shit in without knowing what they are talking about!

I cracked gearbox from motor n fitted motor seperatly, with jack under front motor, tilted back then slid box underneath lifted up, slid shaft in and bolted up.
2 top bolts are a bit of a bitch to get to but much easier than dropping whole front out of car!!!

Thank you RammaLH, that is excellent. Your answer has helped me allot.
I appreciate your honesty. I will do exactly that and see how i go !

#13 Joshua

Joshua

Lotsa Posts!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

6 bolts.. yeah real hard...

#14 _lj304_

_lj304_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

TRUE. I also used the same technique. box and motor seperate. i just placed the motor in and left it attached to the engine crane. lifted the front of the motor slid the input shaft in. the only mods i did was cut a slightly bigger shifter hole and undid the front bolt on the handbrake and moved it across a inch. to easy.

#15 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

However i will make the hole for the floor bigger and i will try it again. Is there a template i can work of for the hole?

i believe i cut about 2 inches back but best bet would be to do a bit of measuring...

as for gearbox cross member i purchased one from castlemain auto electrical (cae enterprises) can go wrong with one thats made to fit saves stuffing around with your other one...

#16 _rammaLH_

_rammaLH_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:46 AM

agreed, i used a CRS crossmember and it fitted perfectly. Think i was about the same, 2 inches of cutting back, just enough for the shifter to push up and through.....

#17 _A9X UC_

_A9X UC_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

I fitted my Ford T5 behined the V8 with no issues. Motor in first with hydralic jack support,clutch/pressure plate, CRS bellhousing and allowed the motor to sit down at the back to get a nice down angle, slid the box in from underneath, two ppl on there backs either side lifted the box high enuff on bricks to allow a second trollely jack in the center of the box. Lifted up in position, wiggle jiggle and shes home. A little bit on blood sweat n tears. Using the ford 6cyl T5 with 167mm input shaft puts the shifter through the origanal hole with about 10mm cut out the rear of the hole. PS. Take the shifter mech out b4 you install the box

#18 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Having recently done the drop the front crossmember style of engine and box change I will never do it again. Much easier as a single operator to do as others have suggested above.

#19 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

wow, thread revival !

#20 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

wow, thread revival !

lol

Horses for courses.

I've done heaps of these both ways and I think if you have the right about of space AND the correct tools then the dropping the front end is much simpler.

I think it's important to have the front end sitting on wheel dollies so you can slide it in and out easily. It's also important to have a good brace to go between the 2 rails to lift the car from, a good quality engine crane and suitable chassis stands to rest the car on whilst you are working on things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users