Steering Column Bearings (upper)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

Hey guys, I pulled off the steering column indicator housing (section the ignition barrel is in) to polish it today and thought may as well change the bearings while im at it...

Inside this:
Posted Image

Anyone know the part numbers or where I could get them from?

The top bearing came out easy but the other one seems to be pressed in? is that right? just wanna check before I go bashing it out :)

Oh and what sort of lubricant should i use on all the steering column internals? just normal bearing grease on everything or wha?

Edited by Viper, 29 March 2009 - 02:57 PM.

#2 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Which is the top bearing and which is the other bearing?

The upper bearing is pressed into the steering column housing (coffee pot). The lower bearing is pressed into a plastic adaptor which is fitted into the bottom of the steering column.

Upper Bearing $89.10

Lower Bearing $77.00

When the upper bearing in the steering column housing (coffee pot) is fitted at the factory the top of the housing is bent over to hold the bearing in. When you remove the bearing this section will snap off. The new bearing may need to be glued or pinned in the housing if it is not a tight fit.

There are a couple of non genuie options for the lower bearing in this thread.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 29 March 2009 - 03:32 PM.

#3 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

I considered changing the bearing in the coffee pot a while ago, I know you can still buy the bearing but refitting it was the problem, just as LS2LXHatch has mentioned.
I was considering turning up a teflon bush to replace the bearing, it could be made to be a tight fit in the housing.

#4 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

if its not put in 'tight' it lets the steering wheel pop out at you which is not fun and you lose all the little ball bearings.

#5 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

Is the part I have pictured the "coffee pot" ? Hmm So Maybe I should leave the bearing as is? just that it sounds alittle "gritty" and has some movement in it :(

#6 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

Just went and had a look and the bearing can only slide down the shaft so far untill it hits the uh tab (donno what you call it but is a raised ring on the shaft) and then wouldnt the retainer spring/circlip on the front hold it in place?

#7 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

I brought a genuie bearing from my local holden dealer two years ago for $19 knocked the old one out but wasnt sure about fixing the new one in so asked around and used locktight and drilled a small hole and used a grub screw as well this seemed to work well it was neat and tidy and never gave any touble but just didn't seem elagant. would be interested to know what if any other solutions are out there

#8 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:08 PM

Is the part I have pictured the "coffee pot" ? Hmm So Maybe I should leave the bearing as is? just that it sounds alittle "gritty" and has some movement in it :(

Yes, the part you have pictured is the "coffee pot".
Mine has a bit of movement in it also. The steering column is probably one of the only things in my car that I haven't rebuilt, but I do plan on doing it one day. I'd be interested in what other people have done with theirs.

#9 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Flush the bearing and repack with grease, the factory bearing is not a precision bearing. I have a new bearing in a packet if you want to compare.

#10 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

Flush the bearing and repack with grease, the factory bearing is not a precision bearing.

Agree. It's the lower bearing that fails. I haven't had an upper bearing fail yet (now I've just jinxed myself!)

By the way, nice polishing job on the "coffee pot" (I thought they were called a "honey pot" ???)

#11 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

Yea I ended up just packing the bearing with new grease and it runs much smoother now... think ill leave as is and save the hassle...

Also the gregories says to use "graphite" grease on all the moving parts inside the column... is this redily availiable at supercheap/repco etc? It may well be but ive never looked for it before but ill be going down to check it out anyways.

Thanks antelope, now I just goto plastic chrome the lower half to match :/

#12 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

Comes up nice with a polish.

#13 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

I have seen the lower column cover made from steel as an anti-theft device. They were selling on eBay at one stage, I can not remember if they had a stainless or chrome option.

#14 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hmm got a Very rough quote over the phone and she said $300!!! geez didnt think it would be that much. $150 tops... got my whole bumper rechromed and that was only $300... steel tho.

So yea know where I can get a steel cover from?

#15 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:01 AM

You could have bought new upper and lower brgs off me cheap when I was selling them last year

#16 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

Hmm got a Very rough quote over the phone and she said $300

I would take the part in and show them what you want chromed, it sounds like they think it is the whole column.

Couple of ideas.

1. I have some 100 mm alloy tube that is close to the right diameter, I will see how that lines up with the coffee pot tonight.

2. Gary at Malaga Rust 9248 1820 should be able to roll a sheet of mild steel to the exact diameter you want. However I expect the seam where the sheet is welded would be visible. I think this is how the covers on eBay were made.

3. Millan & Co Trimmers do the wood finishes on plastic. They may have a finish that looks like polished alloy.

4. You may be able to wrap the plastic column cover in 0.6 mm alloy sheet.

#17 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

way to look outside the square :) some good ideas there! ill have to check em out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users