582 replies to this topic

#26 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

^^^ that may address one aspect, which is quicker around a circuit in stock configuration.

My guess would be that in a straight line the L34 would pull away (depending on the installed diff ratio) but come the corners (and some repeated heavy braking) then the A9x would be climbing over the back of the L34.

Or maybe compare them in a 6hr race.

#27 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

Maybe up and down a big hill? :blink:

#28 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

hey go easy on us old blokes after half n hour you may have to call in the paramedics

#29 _slydog71_

_slydog71_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

This hasn't been brought up yet but .... the yellow L34's are the quickest why because they had less coats of paint applied from the factory so they will win for sure.

My personal pick is the L34 based on the limited numbers produced , then it would have to be an A9X.

Race down the hill would be the best test and in neutral as well.

#30 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

Micheal are very easy way would be a simple shootout at the track with my stock L34 and your stock A9X,sounds good a redcar vs redcar..basically a 2009 version..now this might seem like a bit of a challenge but to make it interesting we take bets and raise some money for a charity as my niece does little work with the starlight foundation at the children's hospital at westmead which incidentally saved her life....basically a bit of fun and we could show of the cars to our forum members and what these brilliant cars are capable of doing in the year 2009...we could settle some of these great debates in reality as opposed to some of the theories and so on...would be very easy to arrange what do you think...the old saying the flag drops the bullshit..and please don't take it personal as i'm a genuine shit stirrer to but my offer is real...hey keep smiling..

Let me know the time and place in advance so i can book airline tickets.The charity thing is a great idea even the great H allowed his 90th birthday to raise money for the underprivalaged{bring it on}

#31 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

[quote name='The Baron' date='Apr 2 2009, 01:09 PM' post='384863']
I just like the idea of killing some 185/70/14 tyres.--Where are you No control.

By the way REDBITS, I think someone else has offered your car to be the stock A9X for the comparison.^^^^^^^(3rd post)

Any way, my dad is better than yours ;P

Bring it on baron i will be there.Only thing is APL wants to come along also so lets make it a three way contest.He assures me the HB brabam is the rarist of them all and he like the hare and tortoise race reckons he will win.We could also make it a charity event and charge admission.

what does RED TAXI think of this idea

#32 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

In the original thread the baron called me a turn coat i take offense to that as my A9X cars are great if you go out with the wife and family because if you over indulge or get ill the wife or daughter can drive home.

#33 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

And who exactly is fronting the money for any damages? Why don't you bring your moddified L34 and we'll get yellow A9X's to come along in his race hatch and see how you go? My car hasn't moved since toranafest and to be honest, I can't see it moving again for a long time.

#34 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

I'll just throw my two bobs worth in here. I had a original A9X hatch when I was in my teens, when I looked around to purchase one to replace it 25 years later they were asking $80-90k. and my little flower said NO F*****G WAY. The A9X hatch was a nice car But there was a better choice (for me), and I know all the owners of original L34 or A9Xs just hate mock up copys, as mine is just an L20 LXSS hatch, and if you modify an original A9X -L34 you will devalue it. I don't have that problem and I would recon my hatch would pull high 11s or low 12s with the air conditioner and power steering going and put the power down. I am sorry boys but 308 just don't cut it with me, you would have to spend big,big,bucks for you 308 to get 500hp & 500lbs torque to match my 383 s/b chev (N/Asprated) with reliability.

Around a circuit your original stock standard cars would be laped in no time flat and I would be keeping cool doing it on a 40 deg day one handed. But there is one place you blokes would thrash me and that's the price tag, I have been offered $80,000 for mine and (no he wasn't a blind man with a guide dog) which is big bucks for just an SS hatch, but compared to what the genuine cars you guys have is bugger all. I think the L34 price tag has been to low for to long and $150,000 isn't that unrealistic, but a car is only worth what someone will pay for it and no more. It shits me people saying that their 1916 benz is worth one million dollars and when it gets turned in at the auctions for only $250,000. Maybe it's just me but I would prefer to have one with just the right mod cons and power to match and looks like the genuine artical from the outside.

Axistr.

#35 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

a lot effort goes to the toranafest every year and its great,..how about organising a torana day track day only for torana's this way we could race stock and modified,race cars together,..as for damages red i have a lot people in the motor industry who gladly cater for damages done to drivelines in some of these rare and race cars if they knew it was going to charity...and yes you could bring yellowa9x hatch out that way i could bring my yellow modified L34,..see red we could cater for all here...you just gotta say your in...i'm in with bells on :spoton:

#36 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

where are we going? and you know, skill does come into it as well....

#37 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

where are we going? and you know, skill does come into it as well....

hopefully to the racetrack,...and fun day out for all to be enjoyed....and hopefully finish a few of these so called great debates for all to see...thats all....

#38 kerm74

kerm74

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

all the facts considered both cars are great and any torana fan would love to own either. I have a personal preference to the l34 and bought one 10 years ago when I had a choice of both - a decision I do not regret - a race between the two would be great as suggested just for fun but wont solve the performance question from the factory given they were both built over 30 years ago - ie there performance today will in now way reflect what is was back then - they are both great and the argument over which is better is irrelevant.

#39 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

it won't resolve anything but it would be fun

#40 _APL_

_APL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:47 PM

" Bring it on baron i will be there.Only thing is APL wants to come along also so lets make it a three way contest.He assures me the HB brabam is the rarist of them all and he like the hare and tortoise race reckons he will win.We could also make it a charity event and charge admission. ""

Well there you go....

It's about time the Mighty Brabham Torana started getting some accolades and respect.

How many genuine Brabhams do you know of ??
I'm sure a lot less than those A9X and L34's.

You blokes will probably still be arguing and puffing out your chests long after the HB crosses the finish line..... :D

APL

#41 _blue_a9x_

_blue_a9x_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

And who exactly is fronting the money for any damages? Why don't you bring your moddified L34 and we'll get yellow A9X's to come along in his race hatch and see how you go? My car hasn't moved since toranafest and to be honest, I can't see it moving again for a long time.

We no you willnot pay for any damages
we all payed for Harry Firths Birthday DID YOU!

#42 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

hey blue a9x, the opening thread said usful comments, your shit stirring is not welcome, and your comment is pointless. You are obviously here to stir, give it up and stick to the subject

#43 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

For the record I was at the dinner, I paid for my ticket like everyone else, whatever thats got to do with anything

#44 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

Why would there be any damages if you drive within the cars ability and keep it on the track

#45 _blue_a9x_

_blue_a9x_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

For the record I was at the dinner, I paid for my ticket like everyone else, whatever thats got to do with anything

i didnt say you didnt? :rockon:

#46 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

if something breaks. I seem to remember somone breaking a T10 in tassy, long way to get the car back to QLD. Not keen to have something break or my 20 year old tyres fail around somewhere like Wakefield and have to get back to Sydney

#47 _l31m21vd69_

_l31m21vd69_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

hopefully to the racetrack,...and fun day out for all to be enjoyed....and hopefully finish a few of these so called great debates for all to see...thats all....

so uncle is your l34 brand new with 000001 kms or has it been tuned up for the race with a stock worn a9x ?

#48 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

i didnt say you didnt? :rockon:

ok thats for confirming what I already thought. Try contributing something useful whoever you are

#49 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

if something breaks. I seem to remember somone breaking a T10 in tassy, long way to get the car back to QLD. Not keen to have something break or my 20 year old tyres fail around somewhere like Wakefield and have to get back to Sydney

I will lend you some wheels and tyres maybe even slicks so you can try and keep up,anything for charity.

#50 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

I have lost count of the amount of adjectives in the thread. Anyone help! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users