LH LX FLEXIABLE STEERING COUPLING

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Hi everyone. My LH has a Noltec flexiable steering coupling as I was of the belief that they are superior to the original rubber ones. Now I'm not too sure. After taking my Torana to the forum drag meet at WSID last wendsday, I noticed a little play in the steering so I took the car to mate's workshop & put it on the hoist. That's where the play was, two of the bolts were loose & my mate told me he believed it was due to the heat from the extractors causing the polyurethane to expand as the coupling is very close in the V8 Toranas. He told me one his other mates had a polyurethane steering coupling in his Corvette & it acctualy broke turning into his driveway due to the same reason of heat. He then suggested I go back to using the original rubber type for my car. Has anyone else experienced this with poly couplings? What do you think, is the rubber coupling going to cope with the heat better, or will it be worse? My extractors are ceramic coated to try & keep the heat down but the work done to my engine means it's still going to generate a fair amount of heat. Any advice or opinions are much appreciated. Thanks Matt

#2 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

either use a second solid knuckle or the original rubber ones with a V8 or they will melt

#3 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:40 PM

Thanks GML-31 that's what my mate was telling me. The poly ones are easy enough to get, do you know if the rubber ones are available new or not?

#4 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

On the packet they state that the poly coulpling must not be used close the hot exhausts and a heat shield are recomended, when I fitted mine I used the original LX coulpling it's not rubber and my extractors only clear the coulpling by about 10mm. Either way you must run the original safety plate so if the rag joint fails you won't loose your steering.

Axistr

#5 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

Oh OK Thanks for that. I think I have a complete coupling with the rubber in it but I would like to renew the rubber if I can. I don't remember if the Noltec one has the safety plate but I'll make sure I fit one now.

#6 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

LH SLR 3300.i was going to do the second knuckle conversion,but decided not to.i was going to have to modify the steering rack shaft,and the connecting shaft,to get it in.

i fitted a super pro coupling.theres a thread here about them somewhere.they aparently can take the heat.will soon see

i have the same extractors,and set up as u.my set up is untested,and i am concerned about it.but i dont want the 2 knuckles for a street car.i was also told by a few people,that the coupling absorbes road vibration.

i dont know if u can get an original style coupling.if u find one,can u let us know please

Edited by ass308, 10 April 2009 - 06:53 PM.

#7 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

It would be worth seeing if you can source some reinforced rubber to make a replacement poly section. Possibly an old conveyor belt.

Maybe this.
http://www.reglinrub..._insertion.html

Using a second uni joint is also an option as others have mentioned. You may however notice a bit more vibration in the steering wheel. The only function of the rag coupler is to isolate the steering from the rack to reduce vibration. I am sure I read somewhere in the NCOP that you are required to have a vibration damper in the steering.

#8 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

i dont know if u can get an original style coupling.if u find one,can u let us know please

Hi ass308,

Take a look here.

#9 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

thankx.
but is that a 1 off ?

#10 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

Ive had a Nolathane(red urathane) coupling on my steering for 15 years and its V8 with extractors but I have a UC front end which has the heat shield cover & bracket for protection. Its hasnt failed or come loose in that time.

I'm becoming very sceptical about Noltecs(blue urathane) products lately and there longevity. This is my personal opinion.

Edited by fuzzypumper, 10 April 2009 - 07:20 PM.

#11 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Hi ass308 I have a standard original coupling I'm thinking of putting in, not keeping the Noltec one. As my car is mainly street driven I don't think I will try the second uni joint. Have had trouble sourcing Superpro bushes, they're the dark blue ones aren't they? Will let you know if I can find a replacement rubber. My mechanic mate told me a place that might make them but I can't remember the name. Will ask him on tuesday.

ls2lxhatch, if I can't source a new rubber & the spare coupling isn't up to scratch, i will probably follow your suggestion.

fuzzypumper, I've always had Nolathane (red) couplings in my Toranas before, only went with Noltec as that is what the parts store where I bought all my suspension sold. With my extractors the factory heatsheild would be hard to fit & most likely wouldn't clear, I had to bend part of the engine mount on the x-member to clear & trim the end off on of the cotter pins level with the nut. I would be interested in why you're sceptical of Noltec products as all suspension in my car has Noltec bushes

#12 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:53 PM

I didnt realize the superpro where blue as well. My mistake.
I only say that because the last fews weeks Ive helped change bushes on a couple of my mates cars which had the blue bushes and they where chewed out bad. They only lasted half as long as my red nolathane ones and they wherent near any heat sources.
As I said, I'm becoming sceptical.

Edited by fuzzypumper, 10 April 2009 - 11:54 PM.

#13 _homer_

_homer_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:41 AM

The one on ebay is gone, I just bought it.. lol

#14 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

Have had trouble sourcing Superpro bushes, they're the dark blue ones aren't they? Will let you know if I can find a replacement rubber. My mechanic mate told me a place that might make them but I can't remember the name. Will ask him on tuesday.

Ask Daryl/Memorylane Spare Parts. He can usually get all that gear.

#15 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

Check on ebay, there are N.O.S. steering couplings on there all the time. The price range is $120-160.

#16 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:56 AM

A few US cars share the same rubber disc (different body coupling)

If someone can get me the dimensions of the rubber... diameter , thickness , bolt spacing... I'll look around

I saw a few different styles and sizes in an auto parts store the other day in LA

#17 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:48 AM

10mm thick, 70mm OD, 50mm centres between holes

#18 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

you can change the rubber joint for a second uni joint, it does fit as i used to use it. no hassles with exhaust heat then and steering is a little more direct. just suggestion for you.

#19 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:30 PM

Are you useing the second uni joint ? Ozy
I would have thought every V8 torana would have converted to this setup if it is a good thing as i have ended up running exhaust wrap on my extractors to try and protect steering coupling from heat of exhaust .

#20 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

Urinethin ones are crap on V8's with extractors. I had a Pedders one where half of it melted within 4 weeks. Got a standard one when they could still be found at some places imeadiately.
I do know where there is still a couple of origonal ones still in the box. But they not cheap.

#21 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

Urinethin ones are crap on V8's with extractors. I had a Pedders one where half of it melted within 4 weeks. Got a standard one when they could still be found at some places imeadiately.
I do know where there is still a couple of origonal ones still in the box. But they not cheap.

I am keen to buy one, not concernered too much about price, how much & where can I buy one? Thanks

#22 _martyn1960_

_martyn1960_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

I have a spare new SuperPro donut coupling - interested in the second steel universal - i would think that you would get more road vibration! I'd be interested talking with anyone using this set-up as to how much more vibration you actually get ! Regards,
Martyn

#23 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

yeah i was using 2 uni joints, only reason it is different know is changed to power steering. never had a prob with 2 uni`s, was in the car for years, used on the track alot. from memory you may have to shorten the middle shaft a fraction with a file, it was a few years ago when i put the 2 uni`s in.

#24 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

I have a lot of mates who have also replaced the coupling with a 2nd uni joint (minor mods required to the shaft to do it, as mentioned above). They reckon it's superior, no more worries about breaking/melting the couplings (especially the new style ones), and they also report back better/more direct road feel.

I'm pretty sure the only reason the factory would have fitted the couplings, is for vibration dampening - the sort of thing you expect from mass-produced family friendly cars etc... but for car enthusiasts, especially with hotted up performance ones, I reckon the 2nd uni is the go! I have been meaning to change my for ages, just haven't got around to doing it yet....

#25 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

Hopfully I'll catch the guy on the weekend and find out how much he's asking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users