Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:19 PM

These are from Hatchy1

Attached File  20150222_181207.jpg   57.99K   14 downloads

Attached File  20150222_181621.jpg   43.75K   8 downloads

#52 _hatchy1_

_hatchy1_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:45 PM

These images show my LX SS hatchback compliance plate showing its original vin number the other pic is the BLH number that is stamped on my rail I'm presuming it was involved in an accident and a doner LH front end was used . After speaking to the RTA they don't have any information on the history of my torana and if it had ever been written off I'm hoping someone might shed some light on this cause I'm trying to get the identity back as a SS

#53 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:25 AM

What about the other 2 tags ?

#54 _hatchy1_

_hatchy1_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:28 AM

I'm yet to post them up car is at my folks place in Sydney

#55 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:22 AM

Hmm, not much you can do, as far as the authorities are concerned, the number stamped on the chassis is the identifier, even if it is wrong.

You are not supposed to re-stamp chassis numbers, so even if you were to replace that panel with a blank panel you would technically need to be issued a police number, which won't match your compliance plate anyway.

But what you're supposed to do and what actually happens are two different things, as evidenced above.

I think the written-off vehicle register only records the details of vehicles that are not more than 16 years old so no Torana would ever have been on it anyway, even if it was worth $200K, which sounds stupid to me.

#56 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:55 AM

What month was the LX model released? That seems like quite an early car?

#57 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

You've searched NSW RTA rego records and come up with no previous history (presume you searched using the ALX chassis numnber) of your car so next step would be search Qld and Vic records.

Back in the 80's and 90's a lot of written off and stolen vehicles from Qld ended up rebirthed or repaired and for sale in Sydney.

#58 _hatchy1_

_hatchy1_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:58 PM

a pic of my SS

Attached Files

#59 _SKIN_

_SKIN_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hi their I have some LXSS hatch memorabilia. It is a set of three ID plates. Just wondering if they are all matching
First plate
8d77rfj513602 x

Second plate
Model lx8vd77
Body no 513602m
Trim 1916-65v
Paint 568-17777
Eng l32
Trans m20
Tracker gu4

Last plate
Lx torana coupe 2-76. Alx 002478 m. Gvw

Cheers

#60 MRGMH

MRGMH

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Name:Torana
  • Car:LJ

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

Sorry to dig up old thread.

I have a question about the ADR tag.

Is there anyway to know if the ADR tag i have matches my VIN tag?

And what does the (A) stand for in LX TORANA COUPE A on ADR tag?

Any help would be great!!

#61 _Ls1_sshatch_

_Ls1_sshatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

Hi guys, haven't been on this site for a very long time so just a quick intro. I'm 28y/o from Mackay qld, I brought my l31 ss hatch as a resto project 12 years ago when I was only 16. But due to getting married having kids buying a house ect, it hasn't been touched in almost 10 years, until now.

The problem I'm having is the car has moved around so much in pieces that I have misplaced the vin and compliance plates. I do have the body plate and the chassis number and I was wondering if it is possible to come up with the vin from these numbers so I can have Holden get me a letter of authenticity. I need this for rego purposes, exact build date, model and vin.

So here we go guys the chassis number is ALX005902M the body tag info is
Model: LX8vd77
Body no: 519256M
Trim: 1 918-60v
Paint: 568-17777
Eng: L31. Trans: M21 Axle:GU7
Sorry about the long post, but I wanted to give as much info about the car as I possibly could. Any help would be really appreciated. As I don't want to pour another $50000 into a car I can't register

#62 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:15 PM

Mines 4/76 and its chassis ALX007490M

So yours would be a month or so before

Should go something like this

8D77TFJ519256X

#63 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:01 AM

The (skinny) VIN plate and Body plate have nothing to do with registration, however if you want to supply Holden with the VIN for the letter, yours should* have been

8D77TF J519256X

* based on your body plate details. But Holden cannot 'look up' your car anyway, they will simply decode the VIN you supply and use the details on the body plate to type-up a virtually meaningless letter.

Also, this VIN is not the one that your rego authority will recognise; a Torana is too old to have an ISO 17-digit VIN so you would supply them with the chassis number instead.

The stamped chassis number is the legal identifier, so you can register a car without a compliance plate providing it has been previously registered in Australia (and you can prove that it has been previously registered).

But please don't take our word for anything, you need to take all the info into a motor registry and confirm with them before investing any more of your hard-earned $, also try to get their ruling in printed form, they should be able to provide you with a copy of the relevant regulation. There is some information from your QLD Dept of Transport here:

http://www.tmr.qld.g...complianceplate

Based on your chassis number, I'm confident the compliance date would have been 03/76 but again, if your rego authority can look up the previous registration they will have those details on hand.

In conclusion I would say you should try very hard to find the missing plates, from a resale prospective most buyers will be apprehensive about paying decent money for a car with missing plates.

#64 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:59 PM

Andrew is spot on.

All you need is a viasble chassis #. 

Another hatch in Mackay? They are coming out of the woodwork. 

#65 _Ls1_sshatch_

_Ls1_sshatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the replies, you guys are legends. Unfortunately I have no proof of any previous rego but I'll make my way into the transport dept on my next day off to see if they can look it up. As for finding the plates for resale value, it really doesn't worry me. Im not building it as an investment and have no intentions of ever selling it, I'm just in love with the lx hatch it's gotta be sexiest car ever made. Cheers fellas

#66 _toranaheath_

_toranaheath_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:47 PM

Please help confirm these are miss matched plates, car is (supposed) to be a LX 6cyl SLR.

Main plate says:

LX8VD69

BODY NO: 535586M

ENG: L20, M40, GU7

ADR PLATE SAYS:

8-76'

LX SEDAN

BLX 016265M

(THERE IS NO NUMBER 9 IN THE ADR CODES WHICH TO ME WOULD INDICATED THAT THIS TAG IS FROM A MANUAL CAR?)

SKINNY VIN TAG SAYS:

8B69LFJ535586X

Ok, so the issues i see are: Main tag says its a 6cyl SLR, 202 Auto. ADR tag says its a manual as there is no 9 in the adr codes. The actual body number matches the ADR but not the main tag, is it meant to match??

Skinny vin tag indicates its an "S" model by having a B (SLR is D).

The Body number on the car matches the ADR tag (016265M)

So the way i see it, the main tag is off an SLR 6cyl auto, the other 2 tags are indicating manual "S" model.

What are you thoughts? Many thanks

Edited by toranaheath, 26 July 2016 - 10:49 PM.

#67 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:14 AM

Please don't confuse "Body Number" with "Chassis Number" as the two are totally different.

First the Compliance Plate, the stamped chassis number should match the compliance plate (the one with the ADRs on it), so far so good.

ADR 9 on auto vehicles was dropped after the end of ALX... chassis numbers (01 July 1976), instead auto vehicles were thereafter denoted by a capital "A" after the description, for example "LX TORANA SEDAN  A" for auto and simply "LX TORANA SEDAN" for manual vehicles.

The numerical part of the VIN Plate matches the body number on the Body Plate and the sequence of both the chassis number and body number seem to line up, although this is not an exact science as some bodies appear to have been held up on the line and were slightly out of sequence, but yours is pretty much where I'd expect it to be.

The problem is, even though the body numbers match, your VIN tag says "S" and your Body Plate says "SL/R"?

The "L" in the VIN agrees with the "L20" on the Body Plate so assuming you've transcribed everything correctly, I can only say that it must be either a mis-stamp from the factory or somebody has been playing silly buggers?

P.S. Was there ever such a thing as an automatic SL/R?

Edited by Bigfella237, 27 July 2016 - 12:24 AM.

#68 _toranaheath_

_toranaheath_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

Many thanks for your reply BigFella237! Yes, i did some more research last night and realized the Vin matches the compliance plate. There is an ''A'' stamped on the plate which would indicate Automatic being a car built after 1/76!

As far i can tell now absolutely eveything matches up appart from the B on the skinny vin tag which should be a D. I have read so many times that it was a common issue that they had stamped some tags wrong (monday morningitus for the young chaps at the plant back in the day lol).

I am very confident about this car now, i was just unsure how to check the cars sequince at the plant, but as you said it appears to line up

#69 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:03 PM

As I mentioned above, I've never heard of an automatic SL/R before, not to say there weren't any, but they must be rare if they exist(ed)? So it's possible the Body Plate has the mis-stamp and the car was actually an "S" model?

Maybe post up some pictures of the vehicle, I'm sure the eagle-eyed here will soon tell if it's really an SL/R?

#70 _toranaheath_

_toranaheath_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:45 PM

Hey mate. Yep there were definately Automatic SLR's!. There seem to be more 6cyl Auto's more so than the V8's, which is understandable. What area's should i be looking at to identify an SLR? I know about the trim holes around the tail lights and a few other things, It has no chrome trim around doors etc...

#71 _toranaheath_

_toranaheath_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:57 PM

Automatic trans was not available to LH SLR5000's

Check details below:

SL/R variations included the choice of 3.3-litre six-cylinder engines, 4.2 or 5.0-litre V8s. Automatic transmission was not initially available to SL/R5000 buyers but that changed with the arrival in 1976 of the LX model upgrade.

#72 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,103 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:02 PM

As I mentioned above, I've never heard of an automatic SL/R before, not to say there weren't any, but they must be rare if they exist(ed)? So it's possible the Body Plate has the mis-stamp and the car was actually an "S" model?

Maybe post up some pictures of the vehicle, I'm sure the eagle-eyed here will soon tell if it's really an SL/R?

One of my mate has 1976 SLR 5000 in Papaya and it a factory auto tags says L31 M40

#73 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:53 AM

Automatic trans was not available to LH SLR5000's

Check details below:

SL/R variations included the choice of 3.3-litre six-cylinder engines, 4.2 or 5.0-litre V8s. Automatic transmission was not initially available to SL/R5000 buyers but that changed with the arrival in 1976 of the LX model upgrade.

Don't believe everything that you read. 

#74 _2FLYSLR_

_2FLYSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:04 PM

Hi guys just purchased an LX 76 SS hatchback no tags only chassis number ALX001590M can anybody tell me more about this car has no motor or box has black trim papaya orange? Cheers in advance Rick 0434926440

#75 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:34 PM

If it has no tags... there's no way to tell its an SS

Unless someone's recorded that body # against a set of tags previously

0 user(s) are reading this topic