422 replies to this topic

#51 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

I've been having a bit of a conversation today and I've made my mind up which car is which. It's sitting in the same place it has been for 20 odd years.

#52 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

I think you are right with what you say above eyepeeler, the museum is set up for the public and enthusiasts alike.
I would guess the general public are happy to see a race car there and many would be blissfully ignorant of what car had what mirrors etc. I for one certainly could not tell you if either car was the correct one but am happy to see them displayed regardless.

When 'rubbing' takes place mirrors are generally prone to being broken anyway.

Cheers
Herne

Spot on Herne

#53 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

If we Look on the Brightside of it,we have two 05 HDT VK Dore's on display in OZ

#54 _scalpa1_

_scalpa1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

when it comes to the mirrors even my biante and classic's have different mirrors from 05 to 25.

#55 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

If we Look on the Brightside of it,we have two 05 HDT VK Dore's on display in OZ

I look at it as being a negative and an insult to John Harvey and David Parsons. Both cars should be displayed correctly. John Harvey was the glue that held HDT together right to the bitter end, a great teamate and a top bloke, the days of Harves and Brock were the golden days of Australian motorsport and he should not be forgotten as being a vital part of that team.

#56 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

I look at it as being a negative and an insult to John Harvey and David Parsons. Both cars should be displayed correctly. John Harvey was the glue that held HDT together right to the bitter end, a great teamate and a top bloke, the days of Harves and Brock were the golden days of Australian motorsport and he should not be forgotten as being a vital part of that team.

They should speak up REDA9X
as there cant be two 05 VK HDT Cars,and Harvs Car came second in the Great 1-2 Finish,its our Payback for the 1977 Loss to the Fords

#57 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

Most people won't speak up because at the time, they didn't agree with Brock, but he made such a big thing about it, no one wanted to say, sorry mate you are wrong. Now he's gone they are even less willing to say anything.

#58 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

Yeah i can see your point,they should be on display in correct format together as the Great 1-2 finish,sad to see it like it is,as they are both great cars.

#59 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

I think I will buy a datsun....less contraversy over there.
R

#60 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:36 PM

and less style..... and less HP!
But didn't ole "bucket head" George Fury hold the lap record at the mountain for about a hundred years in a Datsun??? :ph34r:

#61 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

Interesting stuff!
Does anyone know which car Perkins drove during the Brock tribute/parade lap just prior to the 2006 race?
Looks like PC's car from the photo's (small mirror and not a mark on the paint). Would have been much easier to just push "05" out of the museum! Either way, wonder who made the call.
Cheers, H

#62 goxu1

goxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:4/73 Cyan Metallic GTR XU-1

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

Did either car race after Bathurst ?
When was the car donated to the museum ?

#63 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

Great read

Does anyone know which car Perkins drove during the Brock tribute/parade lap just prior to the 2006 race?

Here is the footage

#64 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:28 AM

Did either car race after Bathurst ?
When was the car donated to the museum ?

Both cars raced under the HDT banner at Surfers & Calder after Bathurst in '84.

#65 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression they did Sandown, Bathurst and Surfers, nothing else.

#66 brocks72xu1

brocks72xu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

So, if you were looking at the museum car, what tell-tales would you be looking for?

study the scuff marks lefts from racing take a picture with you

#67 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:05 PM

Hi
Its dissapointing that there are 2 05 vks, if the real 25 could please stand up so harveys name can stand in the limelight and both cars could be displayed together as the 1-2 finish. Even Ford can get there 1-2 hardtops together.
Harvey worked for HDT i wonder if he would comment.
Chears Neil

#68 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

Just had a look, the Calder thing happened, it was a non championship race.

Look at the car at Baturst, then look on the wall they have a massive picture of the car, all the little marks along the sills line up.
Whatever happened back in 84 85 when they sold these cars off, someone got the short end of the stick because both parties believed, as they do today that they have 05. It would have been better, if as Brock says they donated 25 to the Bathurst museum, they displayed it as 25, not try and palm it off as 05. I'd love to know how a car that was 25, got repainted as 05, yet it still has all the stone chips and scars from racing. If you think they would have just repainted the numbers, have a close look at the roof of the car at Bathurst and see if you can see any signs of 25 ever being there, or if that section looks fresher than the rest of the car.

#69 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

study the scuff marks lefts from racing take a picture with you

For that to hold much credence, you would need good photos from their final race. As Calder was a non-championship race it received little coverage & photos are hard to come by. I've seen photos from Bathurst compared to marks on the museum car, but I'm not convinced there wouldn't have been some repairs after Bathurst with another two races to run.

#70 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

I don't think the cars would have received too much attention after Bathurst, considering they were in good nick, Harveys car did take a small tap but nothing serious, certaianly nothing requiring resprays on the cars.

#71 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

I don't think the cars would have received too much attention after Bathurst, considering they were in good nick, Harveys car did take a small tap but nothing serious, certaianly nothing requiring resprays on the cars.

Agreed, but maybe they touched up some paint chips?

#72 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

My 2 cents worth...

Back in 85 or whenever it was, Once John Clelland decided he wanted one of these cars, he would have been keen to secure it for the lowest price possible. He wouldn't have cared which car he ended up with.

Brock at that stage still owned the 79 A9X and probably would have liked to hang onto the VK or at least see it stay in the country.

There would have been nothing gained by either party for Cleland to take the 05 car.

#73 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

Agreed, but maybe they touched up some paint chips?

yep agreed they may have cleaned some up, resprayed the front or whatever. The thing is though, the car in Bathurst has stone chips and marks that suggest the car was not repainted prior to being handed to the museum. If the car in th musuem was a fresh car with no marks at all you could say oh they painted the 25 car up as the 05 car, but you would be looking at a clan car with no chips in the paint.

I agree with Mick as well, Brock was a vain guy, and he contradics himself in the letter to AMC by saying he knew that car was going to be worth something, so why not imortalise it for ever in the museum rather than sell it to possibly never be seen again. Anyway, as I said, from what I was told through the week from a couple of different sources, the car at Bathurst is 05 and I think in the next few months everyone will know.

#74 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#75 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

ha ha there you go, car 52 (25) with the VH mirror fitted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users