Body Filler

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _jim__10_

_jim__10_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

Gday guys,

i am just curious, i have applied some body filler to some areas in my engine bay, sanded it all smooth ready for a light skim coat of primer, now is it ok to lightly go over this area with wax and grease remover, then with a dry rag rubbing it dry prior to applying the primer, or do you just dust off and apply the primer. If you do go over with the wax and grease remover will this have any consequences.

regards,
jim...

#2 _panthervs_

_panthervs_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

I try not to get any liquids on freshly applied bog as it is very pourous and absorbs all the moisture. I just use the compressed air to blow it clean then tack rag it before i shoot primer.

#3 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:18 PM

should be right with wax and grease remover, its like metho just dries real quick.

#4 _jim__10_

_jim__10_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:31 PM

Ok then, so just wipe over with a clean rag.....Although out of curiosity if a liquid substance was wiped over freshly applied bog once hard set how would this affect the bog.....would it just not cure, fall out or paint wont stick to it

#5 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

same for me too but i do both,,, give it a good blow with the compressor then a light wipe with some prepsol just dont go drowning it as mentioned body filler will absorb any liquid really quick :spoton:

Lee

#6 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

Ok then, so just wipe over with a clean rag.....Although out of curiosity if a liquid substance was wiped over freshly applied bog once hard set how would this affect the bog.....would it just not cure, fall out or paint wont stick to it

your paint in time will/could start to bubble or start to crazy crack over the afected area, thats why i always say " bog is for dents not rust " the same will happen when body filler is applied to rust in time the moisture will start to get into the bog and start to bubble and fall out or just look like a huge mess

Lee

#7 _jim__10_

_jim__10_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

ahh ok then.........thanks for the replies guys..........

#8 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

You can also give it a wipe with thinners on a rag.

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

Yeah tack rag. That is no less harmful than Wax & Grease remover, not that I would hesitate to use wax & grease remover on a cloth. Both evaporate quickly, especially in an environment you should be spraying in lol

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:44 AM

Wax and grease remover is an oily substance, the bog will absorb this and cause you problems later.

Do not get wax and grease remover anywhere near bog.

Use thinners if you must, this evaporates relatively cleanly, but just a proper blow out is good enough usually.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users