Some other things i've been working on

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#1 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:23 PM

I thought id show you guys what else i've been working on when i'm avoiding the monaro.

I bought this HQ the a few weeks ago, i got it off a mate for $200... I dont want/need it but the price was too good to say no!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its completely origional, 202/trimatic on the tree and orig colour two tone paint. The interior is cream in colour, the bench seats are in perfect condition and door trims are just average.
I dont have any plans for it, its too good/origional to wreck out so ill just store it for the forseeable future at my sisters farm.

While i had the car trailer i desided to bring in the celica that my mate left me when he moved to queensland, the timing was perfect as dad took the statesman back so it free'ed up a spot in the shed...

Its a 1977 RA 23 celica with a 2L 18rgeu fuel injected engine, nice big fuel setup with swirlpot pickup pump and high pressure pump etc etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its been out at the farm for the past 3-4 years so the mice have had a nice go at eating the interior and wiring, but after replacing 3 wires that the mice ate it ran and we had abit of fun thrashing it around the farm.
A few months ago i stumbled across something that would make it alittle more fun... A turbo kit

Two hours worth of work and i had my newly bought turbo kit fitted and working!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Running 5psi of boost really woke this engine up, the guy i bought the turbo kit off said his car with same engine and boost made 125rwkw, not bad for a 1000kg car :). I upped the boost to 10psi, the turbo is way to big for the engine and wont actually make anymore boost than this. The turbo is a cheap ebay job and is blowing lots of smoke (which i new before buying the kit), more smoke after a heep of thrashes around the farm :P.

Needless to say it never gets traction in any gear, by 4th gear it gets too much for the clutch and it starts to slip.

Anyways tonight i gutted its interior, put the carpet through the washing machine (it worked better than i thought) and cleaned out all the mouse shit/nests and dead bodies... Hopefully that smell will fade :cry:. My plans are to repair the rust, clean up the wiring and maybe splash some fresh green paint on it and take it to the drags for some fun :D.

I also gave my nephew my old purple HQ to do up for his first car, he's 15 now and wants to have it finished by the time he's on his p's. We are just fixing the rust and splashing new paint on it, its going to be its orig grey colour with gts stripes, not sure what colour yet. He's been coming around every weekend and working on it, its coming along slowly but surely.

Lots of progress pics on my camera, ill post them later on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The diff is in the monaro now, i'm still trying to sort out a new one for it.

Hmm i wonder why the monaro isnt done yet :P.

Damien

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

You are a lucky man. That Celica is such a sleeper. lol @ the carpet in the washing machine.

#3 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:28 PM

I had today off work so i got stuck into the celica, i replaced all the carpet underlay because it smelt like mice :cry: and fitted the carpet. I borrowed my sisters wet+dry vac and gave the seats a going over... It came up alright, pitty that the carpet and seats are sun bleeched because it would be a nice looking interior. The roof lining needs to be removed because the car still has a faint smell of mouse in it :(.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also had a go at making a full exhaust for it, i cut the old exhaust out and took it to the exhaust shop where he bent up the main part of the system in 3" pipe and gave me a few mendral bends to get around the diff.
Ground clearence is my biggest issue, the old exhaust used to scrape on everything and the cat converter has taken a huge beating and has shattered its insides. I've tried to run the exhaust as close to the body as possible while still leaving room for a new cat converter when i can afford one. The pipe only just hangs lower than the chassis rails, and with a bit more air in the tires im hoping it wont scrape :<_<:

Armed with a 4" grinder and my trusty mig this is what i've got so far...

This is the 3" dump pipe that came with the turbo kit
Posted Image

Old exhaust
Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the old muffler that ill clean up and reuse for now, it only has a 2.5" inlet so i will replace it down the track with a 3" muffler
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The exhaust was very close to the boot floor, after i removed the exhaust i cut the spot welds and moved the pipe slightly to give a little more clearence.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The diff JUST clears the exhaust when i jacked it up under the car without the springs, so it shouldnt hit unless i hit a huge bump.

Damien

Edited by jabba, 19 June 2009 - 11:34 PM.

#4 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:52 AM

You are one busy boy.Love the 2tone Lingy.
Theres nothing like having a few projects going at once.....

When that turbo motor dies,a 308 will go in real easy with a hilux V8 conversion kit and some LH manifolds.
Thats if its a factory 2litre .

#5 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

Hopefully your exhaust work will allow the turbo to make boost....A work collegue used to have one with similar setup...except he was more into stereos..fitted a massive sub box to the boot and broke all the panel welds in the back...sounded like a kero tin full of rocks.

#6 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

You are one busy boy.Love the 2tone Lingy.
Theres nothing like having a few projects going at once.....

When that turbo motor dies,a 308 will go in real easy with a hilux V8 conversion kit and some LH manifolds.
Thats if its a factory 2litre .

Yeah i believe it was a factory 2litre. I was thinking a nice v8 would go well in there but i wouldnt want to add too much weight over the front end and i quite like the efi setup, tuning is very simple. Its a fairly large engine bay for a 4cyl car...

Hopefully your exhaust work will allow the turbo to make boost....A work collegue used to have one with similar setup...except he was more into stereos..fitted a massive sub box to the boot and broke all the panel welds in the back...sounded like a kero tin full of rocks.

When i was running it straight off the dump pipe it would easily hit 10psi boost, and when i connected up the old exhaust it was noticibly laggier and could only produce 6psi of boost and felt a whole lot slower. I dont think the collapsed cat helped anything. There should be no restrictions now :).

I used to be into the doof doof stereo's but these days id rather a fast car than a slow doofy one. Its alot of extra weight to tow around behind the rear axle.

Edited by jabba, 20 June 2009 - 06:16 PM.

#7 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:28 PM

One repair done, 9 to go :P.

I used some scrap .6mm gal i had lying around to make the patch, i just ground the gal coating off before welding it. The upside of these panels being made out of such thin metal is the patch was very easy to make, the down side is welding thin metal sucks. :P.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its a pitty i used the monaro to practice my repairs on because this repair is some of the nicer work i've done, maybe i should have started out on this car not the monaro :P.

#8 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

just looking at thoes photos it looks like i need to adjust where i've folded the patch over the guard frame, the line is way out :(. Shouldnt take much work.

#9 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

Some more rust...

A small rust hole...
Posted Image

turns out to be a bigger rust hole...
Posted Image

and the remains of a window and a mouse nest.
Posted Image

and the drivers side, this is the worst of the rust.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The drivers guard needs the same repair that i done on the left.

#10 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:40 PM

Finally i'm updating something, my nephew has been cleaning up some doors for the purple hq. He stripped the entire door to bare metal and i've undercoated them for him. He has abit more filling to go but looking good :) The rear door is completely rust free, perfect nick. The front door needed a rust repair in the inner front area.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I've been wasting alot of my time building a wide band oxygen kit from wbo2.com, but it turned out well. I built the 2y1 kit. Its a very handy kit, i've tested it out on the celica so far and its been really good. It does pc logging and has inputs for rpm, 3 thermocouples and has wb and nb outputs. I also made a pipe that i can screw the sensor into and stick in the tail pipe.

Edited by jabba, 16 August 2009 - 10:47 PM.

#11 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

Another two repairs down...

Posted Image

Posted Image

There was a pinhole here, i can get to the other side of it to paint it.
Posted Image

I've also created the patch's needed to fix the passenger side lower 1/4 panel, they just need welding in :).

Damien

#12 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:03 PM

... And for the HQ, the drivers side doors have been high filled and the door jams have been sanded back and primed. Only a few areas of the jams were bare metalled and the rest was just scuffed back and any chips feathered. It was a fairly painless job since the car is already painted in 2pac.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The front guard is off, it has a small rust hole in the usual place that will be repaired next :). The monaro is still getting high filled and sanded, so no updates there :(.

#13 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:26 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There were two pin holes here, all accessible from the underside for rust proofing.
Posted Image

My fancy (:P) rust repair creation system!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It just needs a bit more adjusting, cut to shape and then strip the old paint and weld it in. This is for below the driver door.

I've also welded up the holes in the sill for the rubber strip that ran along below the door.

#14 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

Biggest repair finished, just the drivers guard to go!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've started bare metalling the car but ran out of the strip disks, should have it stripped and undercoated next weekend :).

I've stripped the outside of the car so i can bare metal the body and then undercoat it, taking care to label every part that was removed so i can put it back together easily. I'm hoping to have the body painted next weekend, big call but if i get stuck in it should be possible.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Damien

Edited by jabba, 27 September 2009 - 08:24 PM.

#15 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

Awesome. Definately nice to see something different on the forum every now and then!

#16 _Torrie_Man_

_Torrie_Man_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

Mate, im loving the old celica! keep the updates coming!

#17 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

Half way there...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

Getting there, not painted in the base coat yet but its closer! Just need to high fill the body and finish prepping the doors and guards etc. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:03 PM

Celica is coming on well, nice job.
Let us know when something happens with the HQ as well.

#20 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

Will do. I really should stop avoiding it, shouldn't I :P.

Edited by jabba, 06 October 2009 - 09:10 PM.

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:01 AM

What colour for the sillycar?

#22 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

White tinter.

#23 _mowie_

_mowie_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:05 PM

Looks grouse Jabba, you do a very good job. Will be a quick car when its done.

#24 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

Wooo paint! A few bugs committed suicide and my water trap setup sucks but other than that it turned out nice. Theres a few moisture bubbles which will hopefully buff out, along with the 1 sag that i managed to get.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 _torana_49_

_torana_49_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:47 AM

wow!

nice job mate!!
i wouldnt mind getting a VL (rb30) or Celica down the track!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users