#26 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:47 AM

:clap: Christ Jabba I dont know where you find the time!! Well done mate! :clap:

#27 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

If only there was more time in a day, i started at 10am and i didnt finish painting it until 10pm last night!

I'm glad i've painted this car before the monaro, i've learnt that my current setup isnt good enough to paint the monaro. Moisture in the paint is the biggest problem, atm my water trap is mounted on the compressor and thats a big no no.

Thanks for the support, i need it some days :).

#28 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:34 PM

Half way there...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well done on your effort mate, its the first time i have read through this tread and heaps impressed Posted Image i like it when i see other ppl fab'ing up the own replacement parts as i like to do it my self, what i did wanna know is what is that wheel you have on your 9in or is a 7in grinder that you have used to strip the paint of the celica with called, i use some different ones but nothing that size, i use 4-5in multi flap sanding disks as they come in different grades and are also good for cleaning up welds instead of grinding wheels, it would be good to give one of those wheels you have there as i wouldnt have to float my torana to a blaster and the bits i cant get to with the wheel i would just use my little blast gun to get into the tight spots, also did you pick it up at a panel & paint supplies shop of can you pick em up at any hardware joint ?? thx in advance Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#29 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:54 PM

Well done on your effort mate, its the first time i have read through this tread and heaps impressed Posted Image i like it when i see other ppl fab'ing up the own replacement parts as i like to do it my self, what i did wanna know is what is that wheel you have on your 9in or is a 7in grinder that you have used to strip the paint of the celica with called, i use some different ones but nothing that size, i use 4-5in multi flap sanding disks as they come in different grades and are also good for cleaning up welds instead of grinding wheels, it would be good to give one of those wheels you have there as i wouldnt have to float my torana to a blaster and the bits i cant get to with the wheel i would just use my little blast gun to get into the tight spots, also did you pick it up at a panel & paint supplies shop of can you pick em up at any hardware joint ?? thx in advance Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

the disks are called 'rapid strip' and are made by norton, its 180mm x 22mm.

http://www.aisnational.com.au/productdirectorypdf/AIS_Directory_040.pdf

There not like flap disks, its made of a kind of plasticish resin. They tear away at the paint but as long as you dont stay in one spot too long, dont damage the metal. If your careful one disk will strip all the large panels, if you bump them into stuff they dont last as long. Next best thing to sand blasting IMO.

I buy them from my local paint supplies shop, i haven't seen them anywhere else.

Edited by jabba, 11 October 2009 - 06:55 PM.

#30 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

Some good news, I scored a free rb25 turbo. The bad news, i couldnt find a exhaust flange (for the dump pipe) so i had to fabricate one out of 10mm steel, using a drill press, a jigsaw and some hand files.

The effort seems to be worth it, without actually driving it (just free reving it) the turbo seems to be alot more responsive. The new turbo spools up faster at a much lower engine rpm. The skyline turbo is meant to be good for around 12-14 psi before the exhaust wheel spins itself off the shaft, so that should keep me happy for a while :).

I forgot to take photos of the build, but if (when) i remove the dump pipe again ill take some pics :).

#31 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:50 PM

Well its been a while since i've updated this thread, its getting closer to going back together!

Here is a few pics of the new turbo all installed, my exhaust flange looks ghetto but it works! (The g-clamp is holding a bolt in the oxygen sensor hole while i had the sensor out, i wonder if the look will catch on :P)
Posted Image

The size difference between the old and new turbo, should be much better suited to this carton of milk.
Posted Image

Ebay filler cap
Posted Image

Since my last posts i've painted and fitted the boot lid, tail lights rear bumper etc and today i painted the drivers side door with my new spray gun. Its amazing what a new gun does for you, the finish turned out very glossy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:41 PM

looks to be coming along in leaps now and i wouldnt go stressing to much about the G-Clamp there has been a lot worse McGuivers than that and yep im one of them Posted Image

#33 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

That looks really great! Is that 2k?

#34 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

Yep 2k, the only way to paint :P.

Yesterday I installed a bit of trim, seals etc on the drivers side. It really made a difference, looks great imo.

Today i pulled the dash apart, removed the heater box and cleaned out more mice nests and gave everything a good clean. I removed the battery flattener (clock) and installed the boost gauge in its spot, it looks crap since it has a white face and the rest of the gauges have black but it will do for now :P.

Not long now and ill be finished! The weather just needs to clear up a little so i can do some more painting :).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jabba, 27 December 2009 - 09:31 PM.

#35 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

VERY NICE.

Good effort

XXKAZXX

#36 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

The electric motor on my compressor has died :banghead: :cry: :cry: :cry:.

It goes brrr and spins slowly then trips tbe breaker. The caps look fine... Why do things break at this time of year *sigh*.

Edited by jabba, 30 December 2009 - 06:40 PM.

#37 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

I'm with you brother. My angle grinder carked it tonight. Heat is the enemy.
Nice work on the Celica. I did one of these up 30yrs ago. :blink2:

#38 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

Lets hope that this is the end of things dying for a while, this could get expensive.

#39 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

The compressor is all fixed, so i've finished another door :D.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My camera didnt like taking photos of the white, ill have to adjust some settings next time and try again.

#40 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

Mate give the centres of those Simmons a squirt of that 2k white before you empty the tins :)

#41 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

Im not sure wether I'll keep them as they are (dark grey) or paint the centers white. I'll give them a good clean and see how it looks first... Unless someone wants to photochop them white ;)

#42 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

This is a quickie for ya but it doesn't really do them justice
Posted Image

#43 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for that heath.

Going off that picture the white centres dont seem to work.

What do you think??

#44 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:15 AM

I think you need some bigger lips, but I definitely think you should do the white centres. I've seen a lot of cars with colour coded V5s and never have I thought they looked bad!

#45 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

Looking great Jabba, nice work.
I think the white centres could work, providing the lips of the rims are well polished and you have some neat chrome nuts to hold them on.

#46 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

Another part done, im soooo sick of sanding :P.
Posted Image

#47 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

what part have you done now jabba ??? pic's ????

#48 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:10 PM

There should be a picture above, the passenger side guard is now painted.

#49 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

I was abit bored with sanding the bonnet today so i desided to try polishing a few bits of the car which required... more sanding.

I cut the top of the guard back with 1500/2000/3000 grit paper and just 1500 on the rest of the guard to see if there was a difference in finish and it looks like i can get away with only using the 1500 grit paper then hitting it with a foam buffing pad. White is an easy colour to work with.

Heres the guard freshly polished. In the photo above if you look closely you can see the orange peel
Posted Image

and the roof... You can see what it looked like before blocking it back around the chrome strip, and what it looks like now with the reflection of the fluro lights. The roof had some pretty bad orange peel and a few fish eyes, i had to hit it with 800 grit than 1500 grit before polishing it, i really need to do it again with something between the two grits because i can see a few really fine scratches.
Posted Image

the compounds i used to polish it.
Posted Image

I solved my fish eye problem by flushing my compressor lines with wax and greese remover. The panels i've painted with my new paint gun are much smoother than what i used to paint the body and require alot less sanding. It was hard to photograph the results because the camera really wants to make things look better than they sometimes are but the results are great, so shiney and silky smooth to touch.

Edited by jabba, 08 January 2010 - 09:41 PM.

#50 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:34 AM

sure has got a shine on it know mate Posted Image the Auto Glym goes alright hey, i use the chrome protector and shine on the commodore wheels and they stay shinny for ages.... sure is gonna be bright when out on the raod and in full sun Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users