Waterless wash.. any good?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _misszilla_

_misszilla_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

I'm in the process of cleaning up my car, just vaccuumed out all of the glass and now I'm up to the exterior. Since I am missing a window I was wondering whether to use a waterless carwash to tidy up the outside, as it looks really grubby.. covered in graphite powder from fingerprinting. Are waterless washes any good, or should I just wait until I get a new window and just wash it normally?

#2 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

i'd wait and do it properly... waterless wash may scratch your paint... i wouldnt use it anyway..

ben

#3 _rallystripes_

_rallystripes_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

If its really dirty even the waterless companies suggest you use the old fashioned suds and water first up but if its light to med,you can use their system.
I use Meguires speed detailer weekly and my car hasnt seen a drop of water on it since its first initial wash with suds.
I havent scratched my paint at all using it and im very happy with the results.
Go on the Meguires website and there is a demo on how to use it.Hope it helps you out.

#4 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

Im not that keen on waterless washes either. If you are super super keen on washing it Claire, maybe you could tape it up with some plastic and decent tape, making sure it is fully sealed. The sticky residue can easily be cleaned up later.
But if you dont wanna do that, then yea, just wait until you get a window.

Cheers

#5 _misszilla_

_misszilla_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for all your advice! I think I'll wait it out or just tape it up. It rained today anyway so lucky I left it dirty :P

#6 Joshua

Joshua

Lotsa Posts!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Name:Joshua

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

why not get a window :X

i agree with the other guys, water is just much better and easier, and where not in doubt so no reason it can't be used.

#7 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Yep, just wash like normal, waterless wash is good if your car is not that dirty, but Meguiar's say the best wash is always water :)

#8 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

I only like waterless when you arrive to a show and you need to do some touch-ups etc. Im more worried it will scratch etc. All depends how dirty it is though, but i like water :)

#9 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:45 PM

What is the consensus 9 years later. I use rainwater but advised waterless wash is the way to go ?

#10 77lx308

77lx308

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Car:77 lx 308

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:17 PM

Pretty much the same - use water and suds if its filthy. Waterless if you just want to give it a quick once over and it is not that grubby to start.

Personally if it is relatively dirty I just use a chamois and rinse out regular rather than a full "bath"

#11 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:56 AM

Where I work, there is a machine that almost distills the water.

Used on a long pole for washing upper floor windows.

Client is very fussy.

They wear white most of the time, so must hate getting dirty.

It leaves the windows absolutely streak free when done.

If I had a car worthy of the attention, I would probably get some end product out of the machine for a final rinse on a car wash.

Ive used the waterless product from Meguiars.

Did a good job, but was hesitant to use it on the dirtier bits.

Ended up giving the area a good wet down with the cleaner, and it came up quite well.

Was a Phantom Black Metallic car. No evidence of fine scratches after it.

But I had also Tech Waxed it previously so that possibly helped.

#12 Matth1000

Matth1000

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:26 PM

If you don't want to use the hose I would go with Frothe from AMMO NYC.

Frothe comes with a dedicated spray bottle the foams as it comes out.

Works really well. Provides a very sudsy and slippery barrier.

Dude that makes it, Larry, is the guy that actually comes up with the formulas.

If you want to learn about detailing on YouTube I would recommend only watching this guy, gets very confusing watching different people and getting different ideas.

You have to use heaps of microfiber towels but is a great option if you don't want to wet your car, no rinsing required when done.

spray on, wipe off.

I wouldn't recommenced pressure washers on the old cars, door and window seals are not as good as they are on the newer cars.

Before I had the AMMO NYC Frothe I would;

Make a bucket of warm to hot water with heaps of soap and a 100 mL kerosene.

Kero strips any old wax or polish off and gives a nice shine.

Sponge it on with a wool mitt, don't press at all.

Rinse it off with a hose on minimum pressure.

I then used a pet air dryer to dry it to minimise marring the paint while drying, I hate polishing. Don't get the expensive Metro vac thing, no better than this.

https://www.ebay.com...ddce1:rk:1:pf:0

If you don't want to use air to dry use a drying aid as you dry.

Polish the car to remove all swirl marks.

I would then wipe down with a watered down Iso Alcohol mix so paint is wax and oil free.

I used to apply the sealant or wax at this step but now I use the CarPro ceramic coating, UK 3.0 let that dry for 24 hours, apply the CarPro Reload spray sealant let dry for an hour or 2 then Collinite over that.

UK3.0 lasts for years so only need to apply once, only way its coming off before 2 years is with mechanical polisher, harsh chemicals will shorten its life.

Once you have done that no need to do every time.

For maintenance washes all I do know is Frothe wash, apply Collinite Insulator Wax and that's it.

De-ionised water is great if you don't want to rinse the car, I have a unit that I use at home and on customers cars and really is a time saver and because you don't have to dry the car it not only saves time but decreases you chance of marring the paint as well.

In Perth we have pretty hard water so De-ionisation cost about $10 per hour of hose time, other states its as low 2 or 3 buck /hour.

Hope this info helps.

#13 _Machine_

_Machine_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:36 AM

My mate is a car detailer; car nut and car show promoter. He uses and swears by waterless products.

#14 Matth1000

Matth1000

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

Yeah if the car is not really muddy or sandy, just light dust then its fine. you also have to do have the correct technique like rolling your palm slightly as you wipe so you don't grind the dirt into the paint.

Do all the cleaner parts of the car first and work your way down to the bottom of the doors then get a new towel, start at the top and work down, repeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users