Nissan 4 spots tutorial to LH.

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#51 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

mine is a torana stub just in case anyone thought it wasnt..

#52 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

^^ Have a look at Bretts pic and the rim clearance. Also bearing in mind as I said previously, different rims give different clearences.Thats a 16" in the pic I am guessing...unless I missed what you are refering to?
R

Not specifically referring to the plate brett has shown, it seems that it would be easier to make an adapter that brings the caliper in closer for better wheel clearance with the Torana stubs as the mounting holes are closer to centre...?

#53 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

Hmmm..sort of get what you are saying..That would be a bit of trial and error to get right maybe.
Purpose of this one was to allow people with minimal tech knowledge to just do it and have better brakes. There is also the bonus of using thicker/stronger A9X style stub axles which was also a consideration ...the strength side of things I mean. Personally having them both side by side the size of the HX stub dwarfs the Torana one...and as Datto says...stubs do flex like a bastard..so bigger seemed to mean better in this case...for Rocket and my requirements anyway...for a road car?..I would..again personally...be happier with over engineering things like stub axles with big/wide wheels on the front, if all that makes sense?
R

Edited by rorym, 24 June 2009 - 06:03 PM.

#54 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

Rory, whats the measurement between the top & bottom ball joint on a LX stub & HX stub ? Is there a difference ?

#55 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

No difference both 150mm, Rocket

#56 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

Good...saves me going out to the garage...
R

#57 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

I am currently in the middle of doing this conversion and I have what may seem like a silly question but,

The Nissan calipers are to suit a 30mm disc rotor and the HQ discs are 25.4mm. Is it possible or not advisable to use a pair of shims/ spacers on each side of the pads, up against the caliper pistons to reduce the pad to rotor gap.

As Datto mentioned, rotor wear will be now more critical due to the difference in rotor thickness that the calipers were originally designed for.

#58 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:58 AM

I did that originally with the Wilwoods..no dramas.
R

#59 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

IS there a record set for how many different sets of calipers fitted to a Torana yet?

#60 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

The Nissan calipers are to suit a 30mm disc rotor and the HQ discs are 25.4mm. Is it possible or not advisable to use a pair of shims/ spacers on each side of the pads, up against the caliper pistons to reduce the pad to rotor gap.

Depending on the design of the caliper and the thickness of the spacer there may be a potential for the pads to be ejected from the caliper once worn down to the pad backing plate.

You should check the design of the caliper to see if this is possible with a the under size disc. If it is possible for the pads to be ejected then you could incorporate a scraper in the spacer design. The scraper would contact the disc making a noise when the pad has worn to its safe limit.

#61 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

I am currently in the middle of doing this conversion and I have what may seem like a silly question but,

As Datto mentioned, rotor wear will be now more critical due to the difference in rotor thickness that the calipers were originally designed for.

When I looked into my calipers the nissan disc listed on the dba cat. was 25mm.Just checked the cat. again and it says 28mm, but sure DBA told me initially 26mm. so well within tolerances.

Edited by rocket, 25 June 2009 - 02:01 PM.

#62 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

Depending on the design of the caliper and the thickness of the spacer there may be a potential for the pads to be ejected from the caliper once worn down to the pad backing plate.

Held in with pins.
300ZX Z32 are 28MM
R32 GTS-4 are 24mm
R32 GTS-T are 28mm.
R

Edited by rorym, 25 June 2009 - 02:30 PM.

#63 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

I have been using 3inch nails, gal of course.

#64 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:56 PM

naturally

#65 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

Your looking at the scrap thickness not the new thickness

Goons

#66 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

Everyone knows how slow I drive, so mine will always be new. So Im safe !

#67 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

Held in with pins.

In the picture below I can see the pads are held in position by pins however the pins are not designed to take the load when the brakes are applied. The body of the caliper is designed to take the load from the pads when the brakes are applied. If the pad backing plates are pushed beyond the shoulders of the caliper there is not much holding them in place. On many calipers there is nothing holding the pad in place once it is pushed past the shoulder.

Posted Image

#68 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

No difference both 150mm, Rocket

Cheers thanks Mark.

#69 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

this is the problem with back yard engineering. 'shell be right' when theyre the things stopping you hitting something, doesn't really fly.

why not disassemble the calliper and machine the mating faces so that your pads will always con tact the caliper shoulder?

#70 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

Because the caliper will then need a groove cut again for the Oring to seat... which requires a good mill :)

#71 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

you would use a good mill.these are your brakes.

#72 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

Your looking at the scrap thickness not the new thickness

Goons

DBA catalogue says new in box dimesions.
R

#73 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:48 PM

The body of the caliper is designed to take the load from the pads when the brakes are applied.

HQ= 25.4MM
GTS-T= 28MM

Now my trusty..old..calculator says thats 1.3MM each side...Have you measured a pubic hair lately??
I am still sleeping pretty well at night boys. Don't get too hung up on it.
Brett..as Rocket said..Its slightly more then "back yard engineering"..But we all have an opinion I guess and chose to go our own ways. Brett believes/trusts his system, Rocket and I and others trust ours...move on...as Datto says..Nothing to see here!
I started this thread to help others improve their std braking systems..If you have a better mouse trap...by all means start a new thread and walk everyone through the process of modification as I have..dont take up space with alternative opinions on what is better..
I can argue all day the Torana stub axles are not worth scrap metal and flex like sheet..and you wander all over the road under brakes and the HQ/A9x style offer heaps more stabilty......would the average road warrior and his pumped up painted pretty Torana notice?..probably not.

Now I have got that out of my system...Questions???

R

Edited by rorym, 25 June 2009 - 10:57 PM.

#74 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

R32 GTS-T + Z32 300 ZX DBA909 30mm

Theres a perculiar R32 that has a 26mm rotor but its rare

Take a tablet son your still looking at scrap thickness or your catalogue is wonky

#75 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

Shut up...I am on my soap box and its late at night...you know what I am like!
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users