What paint gun to use with Acrylic paint?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _markbeath_

_markbeath_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

Hi im wondering which gun is best to used to paint with Acrylic?

Iv heard some people saying that some spray gun tips aren't good to use with Acrylic so im just curious.

http://cgi.ebay.com....p3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com....p3286.m20.l1116

Thanks guys

Mark Beath

#2 _panthervs_

_panthervs_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:59 PM

hey mate

2 mm is too big for acrlic but is ok to spray your primers with and most people say 1.4 is too small for acrylic but perfect for 2k.. You should be using a 1.8 tip for base and clear coats. However i bought an expensive 1.8mm tip gun that worked ok but not briliant and accidently dropped it so i bought a 1.4 gun just to spray a few bits and pieces and it actually came out a heap better than the 1.8 but u just need to be carefull that you thin it down enough so it will pass freely through the smaller tip..
Im sure some people will disagree but thats just my experience

#3 _markbeath_

_markbeath_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

So what tip on the gun would be best?

#4 _markbeath_

_markbeath_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

Or would it be best to get say 2 guns with different tips for primmers and base and clear coats? If so, whats recommended?

#5 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

dude i just use 2 guns, one for my Primer and one for my colour and clear, i always mix my colour and clear up the same and always have used a 2mm tip and it always comes out good just gotta chop the peal out and give it a good buff and polish :spoton:

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Keep in mind that primers are abrasive so dont go using your good colour gun to put on primers.

Cheers.

#7 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:31 AM

i bought the devilbiss primer gun not long ago to spray acrylic, goes great and feels great!

the same one as your link

#8 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

devillbiss do a 3 gun package.....finishing, primer & touchup for around $700-800

#9 _StrayLH_

_StrayLH_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:03 PM

Keep in mind that primers are abrasive so dont go using your good colour gun to put on primers.

Cheers.

^^^ ditto

Keep a decent gravity feed gun for your colours and clears (seperate guns if you can... just in case). And keep another for primers.

I have 2 mini's that are 1mm (used for AutoAir waterbourne acrylics), for Uro's a dedicated clear gun that is 1.4, another for base and colours, and a siphon feed 2mm for primers.

#10 _yldlj_

_yldlj_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

acrylic and clear i would spray with 1.8 even primer i would use the same tip it doesn't really matter with acrylic. in my opinion being in the trade i wouldn't spray a car in that crap anyway it doesn't last and will never come up as good as 2pak. just buy a cheap gravity feed gun and it will come with 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8 tips you wont need a good spray gun for acrylic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users