- - - - -

Clints LH Project

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#26 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

Nah Im keeping the stock footbrake setup, Was a quirky unique thing I remember from my first car so wanted to keep it hehe... Just used a slightly modified Wagon Cable.... Dont ask me what exactly as the workshop did it :) if ya keen I can ask them exactly next time im there.

#27 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

good to see work is happening on it again, as for a sparky my mate has just gone out on his own and opened up a mobile auto electrical business, when my phone is charged i will shoot you his number

#28 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

Its come ALONG way since i last saw pics/heard updates.

Now piss the bloody gemini off and finish the torana!

#29 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hey guys, Steve from Steve's paint studio came around and to give me a quote to fit the flares and cut the guards out to the max (properly) as well as fit the rest of the bodykit, align all the panels/doors properly. couple of chips to be touched up and surface rust inside the cabin to be treated and coated... as well as a few other bits and peices... He's goto call me back with the final quote but he said it would be best for me to do the wiring first as its going to be under the guards and it would be better to only have to fit the guards once and leave em on (rather then he fit them, line it all up perfectly then have to take em off and do it all over again once ive done the wiring..

So I bought a painless 18 circuit wiring kit from LS2LXHatch on here which ill be fitting myself over the next week or 2 (or 3 we'll see haha) altho I really only need to do the wires which will be under the guards for now.
Posted Image

Have had a good look through the wiring and a read of the manual and so far im very happy with it... looks like its just a matter of mount the fuse box then run each wire to where it needs to go... every single wire is labeled along the whole length of the wire (every 10cm or so) so you always know what wires what and is plenty of length :D but ill let yas know how it goes.

Aww shes abit dusty but got a pic of her as shes sitting atm.
Posted Image

P.S.
Can a staff member please rename this topic to "Clints LH Project" I cant seem to edit it anymore?

#30 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

Cheers to whoever edited the title for me, heh sorry to be a pain but I neglected to also ask if you could remove the "new front end in and hoppers brakes"

#31 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hey guys, Got a quote today for some panel/paint work on the Torana from one of the top guys in Perth (wont name who at this stage) and I know he would do a awesome job but just wondering if you guys think this is a resonable price, or if its bout right for this extent of work...

Ok first of all keep in mind my cars already painted as well as the bodykit, but this is what the quote was for:

-Cut out rear guards (to the max including part of the door and weld the double skin panel back together) all while being extremely careful with the paint and so that any damaged bits are coverd by the flares
-x2 on the front guards altho not as hard.
-Fit front spoiler
-Fit A9X bonnet scoop and cut out bonnet hole to suit
-Cut and buff the whole car
-Touch up a few tiny chips here and there
-Replace door hinge bolts and align all doors perfectly
-Fit front guards/apron and align panels inc bonnet
-Whole interior metal was untreated and surface rust all about the place, so strip and treat all that then jus give a coat of paint

Umm I think that was everything, but yea cutting the rear guards and fitting the flares was the main job...

He quoted me 5k, I wasnt quite expecting that much.... but I havnt been up to date with costs now days, does everyone think this is a resonable price for the ammount of work (keeping in mind he will doing it all properly no shortcuts) or should I maybe look at keeping a quote elsewhere?

Besides that, I finnally moved all the cars out the way (5) so I could move the Torana into the workshop for it to take pride of place and give me the room to work on her, Need to do the wiring under the guards before I send it to have the guards fitted :D
Posted Image

#32 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

Hey guys, Been working away in Karatha but came home due to the cyclone so here's a tiny update...

Got all the wiring roughly laid out where it needs to go... The painless wiring kit turned out pretty good and was fairly uh... painless ;) its missing a couple little things like the washer bottle pump but it does have spare outputs from the fusebox to add stuff.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know it looks like a Total mess but its all under control ;) Just waiting for my dash, UC/commodore wiper arm, new headlights and bits and peices like that so I can wire it all up...

Speaking of dash's Ive orderd a dash cluster from Dakota Digital :D exhange rate killed me tho, was only $884US but cost me $1300 to get it landed here. thats including senders etc as well as their gear sensor kit. (shows on the dash which gear your in)
Posted Image

And link to their site if anyones interested:
http://www.dakotadig...prod/prd372.htm

Also did some polishing Today
BEFORE
Posted Image

Posted Image

AFTER
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next target in my sights is the Alternator bracket... altho Im not sure how im going to get right down into flat bit at the back where it says "rare spares"?

#33 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

Well I got a few of my other projects out of the way so was time for the Torana to get some love.

Did the wiring under the passengers guard today. (Headlights, park lights, indicator and thermofan)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will make a start on the other side next!

#34 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:33 PM

Shit that's neat. I shoulda really got off my arse and done that stuff lol

#35 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

Well been spending abit of time on the Torry getting it ready to be sent to Steve Paint Studio for some work, Finished all the wiring under the guards and put all the door internals in and other little bits and peices.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its all 99% ready to go and booked in for next monday to have the following done:
-Cut n shut front & rear guards to suit flares
-Cut hole in bonnet to suit scoop
-Fit Flares, A9X Scoop & Front spoiler
-Align doors, bonnet, fenders, nosecone etc and fix dodgy door hinges
-Paint and Fit SL/R Door mirrors
-Rust proof interior/inside doors
-Touch up small chips here and there
-Buff whole car

And a couple other small things. So will come back looking almost like a complete car!

Once its back ill finish off the rest of the wiring which wont take too long, then off to the upholsters once I find a decent one in Perth.

#36 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

Well some may know Ive been looking for a parts car as I need a bunchof little bits and peices and also something to use as a reference asit was around 3yrs ago that I dismantled the LH but have had no luckfinding anything for under 1k, even just a rolling shell with nomotor/box.... anyway was chatting to a bloke at work about my dilemma and he said he has a old hatch on his property over in southern cross, just a 202 SL that they thrashed the crap outa doing burnouts and whatnot untill the motor cried no more and its been sitting there ever since... Told me its totally fkd now and im welcome to go grab it if it want. My eyes lit up and even if it was rusty the parts I need would probly still be fine (bumper brackers, insides of doors, wiring plugs etc) so I organised a Tow car, Trailer and conviced my gf to come along and keep me company and off we went this mornin for the 740km Round Trip.

All the way there I was wondering if it was a UC or a LX hatch (forgot to ask) and was praying it was a LX, finnally arrived welcomed by a pair of LX tail-lights! he was quite right, all 4 tyres were blown and is ALOT of rust... but used the electric winch on the 4bee and pulled her up on the trailer and headed on home...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see the rust is quite severe (is more then in those pics) Im gonna take the few bits I need for the sedan, strip the panels off for a proper assessment... Being a hatch I might get it sandblasted and sealed up and put it in Storage untill ive got the time to slowly replace the holes with good metal and bring her back to life. Think its worth it?

Edited by Viper, 26 September 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#37 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:34 PM

depends on how far it's rooted it looks worse than my white 4 door

#38 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

If you want to part with that front bumper , steering column and plate... look me up

Infact... if your going to wreck it let me pick over it first :)

#39 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:07 PM

The front bumper is actually Very straight, abit of pitting in the chrome, ill pull it off and get some pics tmz... Wont pull the steering column out at this stage tho. It deffintely needs alot of rust repairs, but nothing I couldnt do myself... if I had time.

#40 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:11 PM

Definately don't wreck it unless you're certian no one is willing to repair it!

From those pics I'd say it's a bad shell but it can and should be fixed. Closer inspection might prove me wrong though

#41 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:06 AM

Oh and the round headlights, surrounds , buckets and all to convert the LH

#42 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:41 AM

Heh I need all the headlight stuff for my LH :P And yea ive noticed how rare hatches are now days I deffinately wont scrap the shell. Im keen to fix it up myself just dont have the space/time atm.

What would be the best way to preserve it so I can store it for a year or so? Get it sandblasted and sprayed in a Epoxy primer? Then pour oil over it lol

#43 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

Store it where? If it will be stored in a good indoor environment, you won't need extreme measures to keep it looking alright. Wire brush all the rust that you can see back to shiny metal, rust convert it and whack some cheapo top coat over the top, and give the cars a few days in the warm sun before you put it away to evaporate the moisture. Fish oil never hurt anyone either :)

#44 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

Nah I wont be able to store it indoors I dont think, My gf's oldies have a property up in Dongara where I could put it, Would just be under a good car cover/tarps etc.... Unless I build a cheap lean-to or something..

Heh Ill get more pics later today showing how severe the rust is... the panel rust im not worried about its the bits in the chassis which are problem.

#45 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

Buy yourself a 20 ft sea container to store it in

#46 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

Well stripped the hatch abit today, and Oh yea is alot of rust... Ive made a new thread for the hatch which can be seen here:

Rusty Hatch

I managed to get alot of useable parts for the Sedan tho which im stoked about and was very good to dismantle and reverse engineer it abit, now I know where everything goes properly... I also found parts that I didnt even know I was missing!

#47 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

After wondering what the best way would be to freshen up my ID Tags I went and got some paint stripper... soaked the tags for 15mins or so, rinsed em off and gave them a good scub with a toothbrush (missus is gonna killme) then gave em abit of a polish on the buffer :) Came up pretty mint,bar the small dents and some funky stuff that you cant see in the pic but I couldnt seem to get off :S

Posted Image

Edited by Viper, 04 October 2009 - 05:08 PM.

#48 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

Just remember to repaint them the right colour :)

#49 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

Whys that?

#50 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts