• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:lh sl 308
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

hi,

can anyone tell me where the two vapour liquid separator pipes go to?
they come out of the vapour liquid separator attached to the body in front of the fuel tank that has a hose returning from the carbon cannister.

From the separator the two pipes go in front of the fuel tank, one goes back into the top of the tank above the fuel sender/pick up..
where does the other one go?

have to take my car for a roadworthy and would like to have at least the pollution gear set up right

thanks

#2 Obey 1

Obey 1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

Mate..Just had a look at some pics of my tank (LX Though)
The vapopur seperator has 4 hoses coming off it .the top line is going back to the Charcoal Canister , one goes to the top of the passenger side of the tank, and 2 goto the tank above the Fuel sender/pick up via 2 stainless tubes.
I think that is what you mean ??
Hope this helps.

Obey 1

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

This picture may help. On the LX there are two connections on the drivers side front of the fuel tank and one on the passenger side front.
Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 24 August 2009 - 08:27 PM.

#4 sl308

sl308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

thanks to both of you, BUT
do you have to put a "T" piece in to join the two steel lines?? back into the "single" intake above the sender?

I've got the manual opened to the same page but cant work out where the second steel line goes....

#5 _Stuart_

_Stuart_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

I have the same problem. I have taken my tank out (LX) 3 times recently to change the fuel sender (thanks to Rare Spares). One thing I noticed is that one of those steel lines is blocked off with a bolt in the end of a short piece if hose. I couldn't work out where it should go so i left it.

#6 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

Didn't the LH (and possibly early LX pre ADR27A) just have two loops that went up either side wheel arch?

#7 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

^ That is how my LH is.

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

thanks to both of you, BUT
do you have to put a "T" piece in to join the two steel lines?? back into the "single" intake above the sender?

I've got the manual opened to the same page but cant work out where the second steel line goes....

The problem may be that you have an early LH tank. Prior to ADR27A the fuel tank vented to the atmosphere via two breathers, one in each wheel arch.

ADR27A required the addition of the vapor separator and charcoal canister. They may have added the extra port to the fuel tank at that time. There are two pipes coming out of the ADR27A tank on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. The drivers side pipes are either side of the recess in the tank for the floor rails.

Is 27A listed on your compliance plate?

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 24 August 2009 - 11:58 PM.

#9 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

Without emission control.
Posted Image

With emission control.
Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 25 August 2009 - 12:06 AM.

#10 sl308

sl308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:24 PM

only has 27 not 27A on compliance plate,
will go through for roadworthy tomorrow and see what the mechanic says to do with it!!

#11 _Stuart_

_Stuart_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

So on my '77 LX, someone has fitted an earlier tank with only one breather on the driver's side and simply blocked one of the hoses to the seperator with a bolt. Cheers

#12 sl308

sl308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

well the mechanic didnt say anything about the spare hose but he does want an engineers certificate. bugger!

#13 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:16 AM

my hatch is the 3rd 76.its only adr 27.

my car has the full emission set up,as per the 1st picture

#14 sl308

sl308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

left the bolt in the second vapour line. mechanic didnt pick it and neither did the engineer. all the rest of the emmision lines were all connected ok, so....
have to fit new seatbelts all round, fan shroud/cover, and the disc brake proportioning valve blew a seal, so all in all not too bad.
have to fix a few other little problems and will be back to the engineer and mechanic for their final inspection and can then take it to vicroads.
one more old torana back on the road

Edited by sl308, 01 September 2009 - 08:46 PM.

#15 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:23 PM

Hi all.  Sorry to dig up and old post but it seemed easier to keep it here than to try and cut and paste the diagrams etc.  Anyway, I am organising my fuel lines etc. and running the lines to the vapour separator and tank, and although I'm not sure if it matters that much, just want to try and clarify some of the routing.  Looking at post #3 the lines from the separator to the tank appear to run (included item number from post #9):

left line to middle pipe of tank (item 9)

middle line to left pipe in tank (item 8)

right line to far right pipe in tank (item 7)

Now post #9 from parts catalogue contradicts this and bear in mind it's a bit confusing because the diagram is reverse image of #3 saying:

item 9 - to right hand rear  pipe

item 8 - to right hand front pipe

item 7 - to left hand front pipe

Now I also suspect it is wrong when referring to the rear pipe as the only rear pipe is the one which would connect up to the filler neck overflow and in fact what is referred to should be the pipe that is on the far right hand side of the front of the tank, almost directly below the vapour separator.  As I said I'm not too sure that it matters that much between them but I may be wrong.  Any advice appreciated.  Cheers Ron

#16 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

Picture from this post.

You can see in the picture below that the second pipe from the left (rear breather) runs from the front of the tank to the rear of the tank.

The order that the pipes connect to the vapour separator does not really matter as it is just a bowl with three inlets/outlets.

The breather at the back of the ftank connected to the filler neck is there to allow air to escape during filling.

174.jpg

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 25 October 2018 - 06:36 PM.

#17 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:29 PM

"as above"

You can see in the picture below that the second pipe from the left (rear breather) runs from the front of the tank to the rear of the tank.

The order that the pipes connect to the vapour separator does not really matter as it is just a bowl with three inlets/outlets.

The breather at the back of the ftank connected to the filler neck is there to allow air to escape during filling.

#18 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:12 AM

Thanks guys.  I thought it wouldn't matter too much but just thought I would try to "do it once, do it right" which is rare for me. LOL Cheers Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users