Would you be interested in a mini Torana?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:56 AM

Well some of you guys may know that I build some special mini cars for a camp. The cars were used as props during a drama and they had to be self propelled. The also had to be able to carry an adult.

http://www.gmh-toran...=1

Here's the link if you haven't seen it before.

It's been a year since I've built the cars and many people have asked me where did I get them. I was thinking about building some sort of mold so I could build mini Torana shells.

I have found a guy that will take a mold from the VW beetle shell that I built and make as many as like from fiberglass.

That got me thinking. Wouldn't it be great to have a mini torana for your kids or even yourself that you could build and paint in whatever colour you like?

This thread is to see what sort of interest there is out there for such a project.

I would also like any sort feed back in how I would go in building the mold for the different toranas in teh first place.

I would be looking at only supply the shells and all the information I have gather on how to build one from scratch.

I've just changed the elctric motors in some of the cars to 24v even though I'm running 3 12v (around 40 volt). With this set up I can get the cars up to 28klm/hour with my 86 kilo frame.

Let me know anyway.

#2 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:07 AM

Well some of you guys may know that I build some special mini cars for a camp. The cars were used as props during a drama and they had to be self propelled. The also had to be able to carry an adult.

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=29808&st=0&p=316447&fromsearch=1&#entry316447

Here's the link if you haven't seen it before.

It's been a year since I've built the cars and many people have asked me where did I get them. I was thinking about building some sort of mold so I could build mini Torana shells.

I have found a guy that will take a mold from the VW beetle shell that I built and make as many as like from fiberglass.

That got me thinking. Wouldn't it be great to have a mini torana for your kids or even yourself that you could build and paint in whatever colour you like?

This thread is to see what sort of interest there is out there for such a project.

I would also like any sort feed back in how I would go in building the mold for the different toranas in teh first place.

I would be looking at only supply the shells and all the information I have gather on how to build one from scratch.

I've just changed the elctric motors in some of the cars to 24v even though I'm running 3 12v (around 40 volt). With this set up I can get the cars up to 28klm/hour with my 86 kilo frame.

Let me know anyway.

Get in touch with Datto.

He has a similar project in his garage for the future, has a f/g background and i'm sure would pass along a hint or 2.

Put me down for 1

#3 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

I have sent datto a pm. Surely he will see this thread very soon.

#4 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

golf buggy version please.!

#5 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

That would be fun! It would be a good thing to drive down to the shed in! LOL

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

Im picturing one of these with a Honda VRF1000 motor in it......

And i like the picture :D.

Cheers.

#7 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

golf buggy slr5000 style SHOTGUN!!

#8 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

Would I be interested? Hell yeah!

Awesome idea! Wouldnt be buying one in the near future though.

#9 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:22 PM

Posted Image

Lol at myself. I was playing with some ideas, but I needed to see something in the flesh even if it's only 2d.

By the way, I'm not an artist. Some of this was careful measurements and other parts was by freehand. I still need to work on the hatch. Overall I'm happy with the length of the car (1.2m) and the overall appeal of the car with these tires.

These are the cheapest tires and rims to buy. If I went the next size up then it would have been even longer.

Tell me what you think.

#10 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

I sense a hatch/sedan fight coming on....

#11 _D1Torana_

_D1Torana_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:01 AM

Let me know when they are ready i will take one hatch or sedan i dont mind the little fella will love it.

Thanks

#12 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:18 AM

This project will take a while longer. I have to learn the process of making a plug, then a mold from the plug...what the?

I'll get there in time.

#13 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

So I've been playing around with cardboard, scissors, calculator, textas, sticky tape and a compass set. It's like being back at school again.

The tiny model is what I have been using as a rough guide. It would be ideal to have a better model car for getting a better shape, so I will get one very soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is what I've made so far. I'm actually quite pleased with the shape and the overall look of the car. It is also exactly the same wheel length as the VW chassis I built last year. I'm getting excited about this and I look forward to cruising down the street in my mini A9X...

The cardboard Torana is only a visual aid as well as a future template for the model to cast the fiberglass mold from. I thought I would take you through the process in a sense as it is building a torana.

Now to start ringing the artist shops for some advice, foam, wood and clay.

#14 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

Very cool mate. Depending on prices and stuff, I'd be interested for sure in an LH/LX series! Sedan or hatch doesn't matter. For kids or adults - meh, who cares!!

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:55 AM

Paul, that looks sweet as!!! I want one!!

Orange please, with MRLXSS plates!

If only you could get a 1:18 scale model... Somehow digitally 3D scan it, then enlarge it to the size you want... Then have a model made and make the cast!! (Damn that sounds expensive!)

#16 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:50 AM

easiest (and probably most expensive) way would be to do as MRLXSS said, have it 3d scanned,

Then simply get a clay block CNCd in the size you want, there is your base to make a mold.

It wouldnt be cheap, but it would be more accurate and alot less time.

#17 ReplicarSLR

ReplicarSLR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Car:Not anymore unfortunately

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

I sense a hatch/sedan fight coming on....

And the Flared or Un-flared fight too !!!!!

#18 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

I'd be down for one, sedan or hatch!

#19 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:16 PM

put me down for one especially if you make a 4 door sedan

#20 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:40 PM

My search for modeling clay has been a nightmare. Looks like I'll be a trip to sydney very soon.

I did manage to get some ply from a demo site at work so I will start transferring the card board stencil to timber. I will also bolt on some axles and wheels so I can check the clearance.

I'll be starting the timber model tomorrow night. Once I'm happy with the shape, then I will go to clay.

At the moment I will focus on the LX hatch back (that's the only model I have) then I can focus on other torana models as I start to buy different models.

Sadly, looks like I will never be able to make a UC due to the fact that I have never seen a UC model. Unless I use my car to scale down the shape to the size of the cars that I'm making.

I wonder how I will go in the clay modeling part? Time will tell.

The first mold will be a LX hatch back with flares and a spoiler.

I'll keep you guys posted.

#21 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

That's freaking awesome!

I remember dreaming of a mini fibreglass Torry hatch when i was like 14 years old. I never realised that if i scraped a bit of cash and did the research i could learn how to build one for myself.
Oh well, i've got a full sized model to focus on now. If i was to try the mini version i think i would base it off a go-kart and make the body to suit. Definately would prefer a half decent petrol motor to make a bit of noise and crank out some mini circle-work : ) hahahha, and if the motor could be front mount it would top it off quite nicely, i can just imagine it now; so much potential for good fun. I think the cops might disagree with somehow, but if you took the approach of a toy for kids or a hotted up wheelchair for old people then they would probably pass a blind eye hey.

Nice work mate, lookin forward to the results of this project : )

#22 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:47 PM

I know it's pretty early but what would one roughly cost to buy?

I need an idea so I know how soon I've gotta start convincing the gf we need one. :)

#23 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

I've managed to make the Torana out of ply and bolted to a stand I also found at the demo site.(It's great what you find at demo sites)

I didn't get around to making a steel chassis with wheels due to the fact that I don't have any that size spare.

With the price of the shells it depends on what the fiberglass dude with charge me to make the shells.

I want to make these as cheap as possible to fellow members on here, but to anyone else I will test the market to see what I can get.

I will be basically be offering the shell and a list of places to get the parts to build your own car.

Here's some more pictures...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I did manage to get some modeling clay (15 kilos) while I was in Canberra this weekend. I forgot to chase up some polyurethane foam used in the car modeling game.

A quick trip to bunnings and I bought some of that expanding foam in the can (which is also polyurethane), but I only bought 2 cans so I will be going back for some more tomorrow.

I did a small test piece while I was playing with the model and the foam is great for carving, shaping and even sanding.

I'll keep you guys in touch with the progress.

#24 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:56 PM

Nice to see you are giving it a red hot go!

very very nice work.

My old man was involved in a project a few years ago building a mini austin healy bodied Go-kart.

Took a PBstart clubman powered arrow kart chassis and adapted the healey body mould to it, looked really good in the end!

I'll have to dig up some photos.

#25 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

Nice to see you are giving it a red hot go!

very very nice work.

My old man was involved in a project a few years ago building a mini austin healy bodied Go-kart.

Took a PBstart clubman powered arrow kart chassis and adapted the healey body mould to it, looked really good in the end!

I'll have to dig up some photos.

I'd love to see the pictures. I've started shaping the foam this morning before work (5.30am) in a bid to get this done asap.

I actually have the car back at my house instead of the workshop so I can really get stuck into it.

Come back here later tonight and you will see the progress.

I was thinking about shaping the car without bumpers to make the molding process easier. I can make the bars separate and screw them onto the car.

That way if anyone smashes a bar I can always supply replacement. I was also talking today to a local business man who is very big in the car scene and has a shop down the road from me selling boy toys.

He gave me some very good ideas, but alias more work for me.

He basically said," The more detail the car is, the better chance you have of selling it".

That means many, many hours of sanding, shaping, scraping...

Now I must wait until the kiddies go to bed...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users