Would you be interested in a mini Torana?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#26 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

Just a dumb question, why are you going to sub out the fibreglassing???

Thats probably the easyest part, i have been glassing for years and could easily make a mould off your buck then churn out bodies from the mould, but have never attempted anything like you are doing what making the buck in all.

I have faith my brother, you can do it!!!!

Unless you want them vac bagged, thats a bit harder, but i cant really see a need.

That way all the profit stays where it belongs, your pocket.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 07 September 2009 - 07:17 PM.

#27 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

Just a dumb question, why are you going to sub out the fibreglassing???

Thats probably the easyest part, i have been glassing for years and could easily make a mould off your buck then churn out bodies from the mould, but have never attempted anything like you are doing what making the buck in all.

I have faith my brother, you can do it!!!!

Unless you want them vac bagged, thats a bit harder, but i cant really see a need.

That way all the profit stays where it belongs, your pocket.

Cheers.

Basically I don't want to get involved in fiber glassing as that will be another set up cost.

It would be much simpler to outsource that way I can call him and give him my orders and I can focus on making other Torana shells.

Like a GTR XUI.... :spoton:

I pretty much work full time, 3 kids, mortgage, wife, cat (stupid cat) and a gecko. Time is an issue for me too.

#28 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

Fair enough mate.

Setup cost isnt great, just need materials and a few paint brushes and a roller,

Materials would be Resin, Matting, Gellcoat and Mould release agent.

But hey, no worries man was just an idea.

Cheers.

#29 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:52 PM

Posted Image

Here is the result of tonight's effort. It took ages to get the front guard/spoiler looking something like the torana. It was even harder without the front apron on yet.

When it came time to shape the hatch area it was a breeze. Must be all those years of washing my hatch back..

I'm stuffed and I've got a 5am start...I'll keep you posted on the updates..

#30 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:17 AM

Posted Image

Impressive work given the time you've had!

#31 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

Wow Paul, you are flying mate!

Keep it up!

#32 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:25 PM

I did some more work tonight. It's alot of work, but I really enjoy it.

Here's some pictures from tonight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks pretty cool doesn't it?

#33 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:51 AM

Thats awesome mate, well done.

#34 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:55 AM

Did you use Rare Spares flares, they dont seem to be working properly. Posted Image

Great work though mate, its looking awesome!

#35 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

I have hit a small snag and I will have to wait a few days before I can sort it.

Basically I was convinced into buying the wrong type of clay. It's gone pretty hard and cracked everywhere.

I will also take what I have done so far to the fiberglass dude and chat to him about the best way to mold it. Like if I do the bumpers, spoiler, flares and bonnet scoop separate.

I did get some very good profile pictures today at Torana fest so I can work on the shape better once I get the right clay.

I also took some great ones of an LJ XUI for my next mold.

I was thinking about doing the hatch without flares (for the SS hatch back) and doing the flares as a separate parts that can be fixed onto the shell after wards.

That way I would only need one car mold to cover the LX hatch, SS and A9X.

It would be great to able to have a stand next year at the Torana fest selling shells or even complete mini cars... I have lots to think about.

What would even be better is to have Mini Torana's at next years Torana fest..

#36 _89'King_

_89'King_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

Posted Image OMG thats sensational! best thing ive ever seen! put me down for one faw shaw! definatly keepin a eye on the thread. Well done again studricho, fantastic work.

#37 _mowie_

_mowie_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

Hi mate,

Your going hell for leather there and its looking great.

We build carbon fibre monocoque chassis for our fsae car which you can see in my avatar. We had to go through a similar process as you making a buck, then making that like glass, then gelcoat and fibre glass female moulds. With these little guys you are probably going to have to make the female moulds in a couple of sections with boltable flanges, this is due to the bumpers and rear spoilers. Remember that the buck, what your making now is the most important part. If you get this surface right, the end parts will be great straight out of the mould. It would also be best to get them to make flanges on the bottom of the mould where they are laying up into and that makes it a lot easier to vacuum bag. This will decrease the amount of voids in the fibreglass, meaning you can get the same stiffness from thinner fibreglass. It may also be possible to investigate the resin infusion process as this gives you more time to make sure fibres are in the correct directions.

Oh and by the way, we had our buck cnc milled from a high density foam, then used a special resin (that didn't eat the foam) and really light fibre glass to seal the foam. Then we bogged that up a bit, painted, then made the female moulds from there. This was done in a matter of a couple of months.

Oh and when they are making the female moulds. DO NOT FORGET THE RELEASE AGENT

Looks like a great start anyway mate.
Tom

#38 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

U are awesome at what u do.

I would like to order a queen size bed version, maybe strap on version for the existing bed.

KAOS Couriers will help out with freight around adelaide.

XXKAZXX

p.s. seriously

#39 _SLRLOVER_

_SLRLOVER_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

Great work :clap: Yes I NEED one of these. it's coming together well and quite fast also

#40 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

Awesome work.
Can't wait to see the finished product.

#41 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for all your kind words. Believe me I needed it today. I felt like kicking the crap out of it today...So frustrating sometimes, but when your doing something that no-one else has done, well it will be worth it in the end.

Mowie- Very interesting information that you have supplied. Where do you buy such foam?

I ended up using cans of expanda foam from bunnings. It's polyurethane based so thinners should affect it.

I'm having some issues making the clay stick to the foam in certain areas. I've vacuum the buck, clean and painted it. The guy on the video makes it look so easy..

Kaz--as funny as your suggestion sounds, I always wanted to make a torana bed. It would be easy as you cold get away with a 2D shape compared to what I'm trying to achieve.

Posted Image

This is no where near the final result, but more of a playing around with different shapes, curves tools and technique. I'm not an artist and the last time I played with caly was to make a skull in year 8 for art class.

Here's some pictures from today tinkering on it. The clay I bought is pretty nice to work with. I was basically laying down the first layer and playing with depths and heights.

I have a good size table on wheels that I will make a measured grid on and fix the car onto it. That way I can transfer measurements from one side to another.

It would be great if I had a LX hatch to work from, but I been using some of the lines on my UC hatch to get an idea.

I was thinking about getting some LX front guards and a nose cone on a loan once I get closer to shaping the mold. I have a mate that has heaps of parts under his house that I'm sure that he will let me borrow.

There's only so much you can do as it's very hard on your hands, fingers and arms. It much easier when the clay is warm so I spent a few hours in sun playing around.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the first sample to come out of the mold. I already have a pint job in mind.

#42 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

Looks good Paul. Always a project at your place, I love it!

#43 _ljshawn_

_ljshawn_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

wow looks great man, your really moving along with it good work

#44 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

Thanks. I actually can get pretty bad depression if I stay still. I have to be always doing something. It's either flat out or asleep.

I'm eating some chocolates now and I will head into the garage for more.

#45 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:12 PM

Thanks. I actually can get pretty bad depression if I stay still. I have to be always doing something. It's either flat out or asleep.

I'm eating some chocolates now and I will head into the garage for more.

Different people have different ways of handling depression mate. I think of it as creative therapy. Good on ya keep up the good work.

#46 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

I only just noticed this thread mate and I am glad I did !!

Awesome work and Im sure there will be a few members of QTCC keen to get their hands on a Tiny Tory. I, um, I mean Wesley would love one !!

Keep up the great work mate.

#47 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

how you going with these are the ready for production yet?

#48 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

how you going with these are the ready for production yet?

I haven't touched it for ages now. Marriage is on the rocks at the moment so that needs more attention.

I've also been busy fixing bikes and working out stuff in my workshop. I've made a grid on my roller table, but I will need to extend as it's too short.

I will make an effort to get more done this week. I need to get on top of this so I can start making some shells.

My 6 year son asked me the other day how my Torana jeep car is going (he calls all the electric cars we have jeeps) out of the blue.

It would be great to have someone helping me, but all my mates think I mad and wasting my time. Even my wife doesn't support me.

It's funny though that when I do my crazy ideas and they start to make money they call me lucky.

What the hell does luck got to do with it I ask you?

Thanks for the kick up the bum. I'll get cracking.

#49 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:58 AM

Genius is allways down trodden.

Chin up mate.

Surely there is someone local with a torrie interest that u can adopt to help you on your very clever quests.

XXKAZXX

#50 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

f them mate my whole family tells me im nuts bout havin my cars and such and the missus told me last night i should sell up to take her on holiday (thin ice) and i am very similar when i sit still i go nuts, but i cant always be workin on one thing hence a shed full of toys. you already know the market is here for it, so you can take your time and dont let it get ya down. lookin for help on it from pro's if ya get stuck could help ya. im itchin to see this take shape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users