Photo

How long can you let an engine sit without starting?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:36 PM

I guess the condition and age of the engine will play a part (i.e. new V's old).

Any tips or tricks? I probably start my engine once a fortnight which I don't think is a problem. However I'm looking at buying a new engine and it may sit for a couple of years before it's fitted to a car and started.

Any suggestions? Posted Image

#2 _bon_scott_

_bon_scott_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

Fill it completely with oil so nothing rusts on the inside? That's about all the help I can be though.

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

So long as proper assembly lubes are used and you turn it over once every few months it should be right for quiet some time.

Cheers.

#4 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:04 PM

I guess the condition and age of the engine will play a part (i.e. new V's old).

Any tips or tricks? I probably start my engine once a fortnight which I don't think is a problem. However I'm looking at buying a new engine and it may sit for a couple of years before it's fitted to a car and started.

Another suggestion is back off rockers so springs wont be loaded if not turned over

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:27 PM

Also seal all the openings, inlet, exhaust etc with caps/plugs or tape.

I have also heard of drowning the motor (while cranking it, thru the carb, if it is still complete) with spray oil or wd-40 or what have you and leave the plugs it, before sealing it up.
Also as above, taking the rockers off the springs will help seal the chambers.

Edited by TerrA LX, 13 September 2009 - 11:28 PM.

#6 _vbvbvb088_

_vbvbvb088_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:29 AM

I have a red 202 on a car in storage. I rotate crankshaft by spanner for 10 turns, rotate by starter (no coil) a bit, then a bit, then a bit more etc etc etc. Then drops of fuel to chug chug. Build up the chug chugs until idles. Idle for 30 mins. Keep an eye on water. After idle slowly rev at different RPM's.

#7 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:12 AM

another good thing is answer the question. "a new engine and it may sit for a couple of years " not 'come back later and start it', not 'turn it over every few weeks', "thats what i always do". so often these threads are just a mish-mash of confusing opinions and it is just a 2 cents worth. at this point id say , yeh, fill it full of oil. moisture is the enemy. gaskets might be an issue then. its good to get a response. useful info is best.
p.s. good tip about backing off the rockers. while im harping on, more info; is it a crate motor? chev? what: its like a guessing game.
people that dont offer info.Posted Image

#8 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:02 AM

while im harping on, more info; is it a crate motor? chev? what: its like a guessing game.
people that dont offer info.Posted Image

It was more of a generic question for any engine, not engine specific. Hopefully others may benefit from the suggestions offered.

#9 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:44 AM

from my experience I just opened up a 308 that was sitting wrapped in one of those blue tarps for just over 2 years on a pallet and it was fine, I would spray it all with wd40 as it is fishoil based

#10 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:31 AM

The V6 that is now in my car sat on an engine stand in the shed for a good 2 and a half years, with a rag in the throttle body, and rags and tape covering the exhaust inlets. Plonked it in a couple of months ago, did an oil change (had to change sump due to oil pick-up needed to be swapped for the conversion), changed plugs and leads and it fired first go. :blink2: :blink2: :blink2:

#11 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

well its all pretty much covered with the replies, back the rockers off,leave the plugs in, block off all openings, chock a block the carbi in WD-40 or some other type of lube ( i used the wifes cooking spray oncePosted Image ) if it has coolant in it flush it out it can be nasty if its left to long, and fill the sucker to the brim with oil and you will be right for 5 yrs + i reckon

#12 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:16 AM

Will the rear oil seal stick to the crankshaft ,if a new short motor is left sitting for more than a couple of years

#13 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hi
I purchaced a 173 LX sedan in 2006 that had not moved for 3 years when i brought a some fuel and jump started it ran and drove around fine to load onto car trailer.
I started the LX yesterday for the first time since and without storing it properly (it sits outside in the open) once again ran fine.
So i guess a motor thats left inside and sealed up should be alright for a fair while.
Chears Neil

#14 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:03 PM

Agree with earlier comments.. I think all the main things have been covered.

Just for interests sake though, my old man has an FJ sitting in his yard (trusty old Grey motor). Hasn't run or been turned over for literally the last 25+ years. We cleaned the plugs, cleaned the points, gave it fresh fuel via a funnel (don't want to picture what might be in the old rusty tank and lines), connected a battery and fired it up. It roared into life, and was idling in no time at all, sounded great too! LOL. Amazing.

#15 _ozbox_

_ozbox_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

i parked a forklift powered by a datsun a14 motor outside 5 years ago and started it on friday....battery and a bit of fuel down carby and it fired up and idled...

#16 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

I don't think the motor firing up is really the issue... the important thing is not doing anything that will decrease the engine's life later on. I would be more worried about contaminants.

You could have a few teaspoons of sand in a motor that's been sitting for five years and there's no reason why that wouldn't start either! Doesn't mean you shouldn't have pulled it apart first though! lol

If the motor is sealed up, all good. The petrol in the carbie will be old and stuffed but it will be good enough for it to run so that doesn't really matter. Just wanna make sure that there is some oil everywhere you need it for one, make sure it's not gonna suck anything down the inlet ports etc

#17 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:29 AM

My car has sat for about 6 years and I tried turning the engine by hand tonight and it was easy as pie.

I don't know if that means I'm getting very little compression or what, but it hasn't siezed up over time.

It will be getting a rebuild before it gets driven though. I might just try to start it to make sure it still runs.

You can see just by looking at it that the gaskets are probably stuffed.

I would have to highly guarantee not leaving coolant in the motor though. When it dries out it crystallises into a powdery stuff that will clog up everything. I have photographic proof!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users