LH SEDAN FRONT SEAT BELTS?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _ATD350_

_ATD350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

Into the final stages of my LH sedan buildup now. But I have stopped at an issue with front seat belts.

My car has the lower seat belt mounts on the angled inner sill area, directly below the pillar. I bought the recommended Klippan replacement inertia reel seat belts and when fitted, present two issues.
1. Because the reel is mounted on an angle, it locks and won't release, due to the incline causing the mechanism to think the vehicle has rolled. So that makes them useless.
2. The position of the mounting being very close to the floor, stops the fron seat from sliding backwards, as it hits the mechanism and goes no further.

I have put a spacer behind the mechanism (dodgy and unroadworthy), which makes them work, but further prevents seat movement. As sonn as you hit the mechanism with the seat, the mechanism jams and goes back to being locked.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?????

I am stuck and about to go buy new non inertia reels, just to get the damn thing finished!

#2 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

Have you mounted the inertia reel on the rear hole? [as opposed to the front hole]

#3 _ronaldoredsox_

_ronaldoredsox_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:19 PM

Have you mounted the inertia reel on the rear hole? [as opposed to the front hole]

An LH does not have inertia belts - does it? My L34 has hooks onto which i hang the clasp and adjustable belt straps. R

#4 _ATD350_

_ATD350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

There are two holes? I thought there was only one.

I didnt think LH's came with inertia reels, only LX's. But I also thought that part of the body was the same.

#5 sl308

sl308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:lh sl 308
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

just fitted new inertia reels to my lh. the front seat misses them by about 5 inches when seat all the way back.

had to get an engineers report for mine and he said he wouldnt pass it with the old style belts. The tongue on the belt has to be closed like on the newer cars not like the old open ended tongues.
fitted inertia reels in the back as well. lot of effen around but now dont have to worry bout the kids

#6 _ATD350_

_ATD350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

Cool, so what did you have to do to fit the front inertia's?

#7 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:58 PM

My LH has both sets of holes.
I assumed they all did.
I have seen brackets which hold the inertia reel also. They bolt on the floor.
Geez, you've got the old grey matter working now! lol

#8 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

my lh has brackets put in so the inertia belts sit straight and it doesnt hit the seat at all. im sure i put photos up ill have a look

#9 sl308

sl308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

my seatbelt holes are at the base of the "B" pillar,(between front and rear doors), in line with the back edge of the "B" pillar Draw a vertical line down and you should find it.the captive nut is welded in just above the floor curvature.
my car was fitted with older inertia reel belts with the open tongue, so it was easy enough to change them (OTHER THAN ALL THE NEW BOLTS BEING METRIC!!!)

#10 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

ah ha!! i beat the search system and actually found what i wanted :<_<: lh seatbelts

#11 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

I remember something about the plates......I'm sure we had to fit them to a '75 SL/R, yet our '75 doesn't need them. Very strange indeed!

#12 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

thats in the thread that 75 lh's had them or at least the sl and slrs did mine is 74

#13 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

does this mean LH's are a different body shell to the LX's? i got a klippan belt from rares, but when ordering thought it would be a repro one. now i got this arse one on the drivers side. an yeh, all the fitting hassles of the klippan

#14 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

My 75 LH SL has retractables and only 1 mounting hole.
I put Klippans in when I put the SAAS seats in (engineer said "new seats, new seat belts"), but the new seats are wider than original so they fouled on the reels. I moved the reels back and down (as the original mounts are inside the sill, cant get in there to put nuts on without major surgery). I put backing plates under the floor (75mmx50mmx3mm), made some bent mounting plates (same dimensions) to hold the reels vertical and used grade 8 7/16" UNF bolts to hold them all together.
The engineer was happy with this arrangement and complianced the seats and belt mod no worries.
Let me know if you want more info or pics.

sl308, what reels did you use for the rear? Do they mount up to the original bolt holes? How did you cover them? (as the Klippan reels are ugly when left exposed). I would love to put retractables in the rear of mine.
Got any pics of them?

#15 sl308

sl308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

Squarepants, used klippan hq-hz reels. No they dont mount up to the orignal holes. I actually had to remove the covers off them as they are mounted on the parcel shelf but very close to the side pillars and rear window. Yes they do look ugly without the covers but i can live with that.(will be tinting the windows soon for people that cant!)

I had to drill thru the rear parcel shelf and fit a backing plate(same size as yours) under the shelf. Very cramped but used a right angled drill with a weird conical shaped drill that starts at 10mm and steps up in 2mm increments to 30mm)only had to drill to 12mm.

This also leaves a hole in your hood lining in each pillar but as i haven't done the interior yet its no big problem.

The car was signed off by an engineer who had advised this mod, so its all legal and above board.

Haven't got any pictures, but if you want i'll try and get some on the weekend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users