Bathurst

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:33 AM

Tell us your Favourite memory of Bathurst, post here.

#2 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:40 PM

The last run of the skylines, when Dick Jonson thought he had the race but Jimmy richards drove his skyline on 3 wheels to keep his lead till they black flaged it... Yes i know it wasnt a torana moment but its one of my favourite races..I remember the ford crowd was in tears, lol...

John

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:55 PM

And when Richo was on the posium calling the crowed a pack of "arse holes" after they boo-ed him for the controversial win.

RACV MAN

Edited by rodomo, 02 April 2006 - 12:56 PM.

#4 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:54 PM

i remember that i was sitting at my nans in a pair of undies... i was 8.

#5 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

Wasn't that a really wet race they stopped because of the carnage at the end?

I also remember Richo given it to the crowd.

Steve

#6 _revmaniac_

_revmaniac_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

the main problem with the gtr win was that as per usual the CAMS rules are vague....the car leading on the last full lap is the winner.....BUT.....in order to claim a victory the car must be able to return to "parque firme"...the pit paddock..UNDER ITS OWN POWER....the skyline gtr could not accomplish this and therefore should not have been awarded the win....
THATS IS ALL

#7 _revmaniac_

_revmaniac_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:12 PM

my favourite is brocky setting the lap record on the last lap in ?'78" purely cause he knew moffat was in the commentary box after breaking down...followed closely by marcus wwaaaambrose back pedalling from a physically smaller man(murph) when they went toe to toe after the big stack
"can you say opening a can of worms boys and girls?"

#8 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

I love brocky in the VL in 1987. Driving a big dunny door with slicks in the wet and at Bathurst, takes big balls. The last of the Big Bangers 1-2 in 84 was a good come back for the 77 ford 1-2. Johnson in the trees and the rock, it's hard to pick one moment. I can pick a low moment though, 1973, the one that got away.

brocky setting the lap record on the last lap in ?'78

That happened in 79. He tried in 78 but got held up by another race car.

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:22 PM

Ok, first up, the GTR was leading the race all day and when the black flag is dropped, the race is won by the car leading at the last completed lap, at the time there was no rule in Australia Group A racing saying the car had to still be driving. Dick Johnson won under similar circumstances in 81 when Christene Gibson cut off Bob Morris at Skyline causing that massive pileup that ended the race. Now that was a memorable moment. There have been many of them over the years, but the ones that come to mind for me was Morris in 76, Brock in 79 ( amazing in qualifying, 6 laps ahead, never passed and breaks the lap record on the last lap), HDT 1-2 in 84 in the big VK's, Brock and that new bloke Seton at Bathurst in 87 in the wet, Lowndes brilliant last drive for HRT and Murfs awesome top 10 lap.

#10 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:53 PM

revmaniac, did you actualy sit down and wach that race in 92 live, I did and it was Jimmys race all the way from go... He drove that GTR on 3 wheels broken but not dead....It was 92 wasnt it RED?

What about when Brocky was in the sierra and got his wheel stuck, took almost the complete pit crew to dislodge that wheel..

Unfortuanlatly i was far to young to wach the 70s and 80s races live...I do recal wachin the mid to late 80s races but my memorys arnt to good..

John

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:29 AM

Yep mate, 92, I was there at the time, in my hatch with the hatch hutch on. That was a mistake, every banjo picker and his mate were taking photos of the hatch hutch all night.

#12 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:40 AM

Oh, the dark years!!! The only years that I didn't watch Bathurst (partly due to uni at the time ---> no life), and the only tape in my Bathurst set that never gets watched.

Despite all that, the one that sticks firmly in my mind is all the hype about the Channel 9 Camaro driven by Kevin Bartlett (Dunno which year it was). How sweet it was to see that thing on it's roof.

#13 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

I like any race around bathurst *points to the domination of HOLDEN* As a young fella i only remember the modern days lol, gotta love the race when skaife finished with 2 plastic bags, a plastic potato chip bag and a smoke packet all stuck in the front air dam, then Lowndes in his ford had to retire due to one bag overheating or something like that bloody fords. lol

#14 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

The first time I went to Bathurst was 1987. The year the World Touring Car Circus came to town. Saturday morning we sat beside the track at the top of the mountain waiting..... waiting........
First car across the top in the morning practice was Larry Perkins Enzed Commodore. I'll remember that howling V8 until I die. Music to my ears....

#15 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

I'll remember that howling V8 until I die. Music to my ears....

Yeah I agree, those holden V8's at full noise sounded awesome - today's chev's dont compare.....

#16 _Duck05_

_Duck05_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:50 PM

Other than all the great Brock wins the one that stands out for me is MURPHY'S 2m.06.8594 and it could have been quicker only he snagged first gear looking for third up on the mountain.
That was awesome even the Ford fans clapped him that day :clap:

Also was lucky enough to be standing up on Skyline in 2004 when Brock did a run in the '79 A9X, hearing it roar up the mountain and then seeing it come onto skyline in a four wheel drift full noise man that brought a tear to my eye.

Regards
Duck05 :spoton:

#17 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:50 AM

I was readin a AMC mag not long ago, cant remember wich issue but it had the story of an A9X being raced in american historics in the states, they were talkin about how when the car was in pits all the yanks crowded arownd the car asking what is in that thing and how it sounded, they loved its howling roar..

The ROAR of the Lion hey..

John

#18 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:49 AM

I always wish I was around to see the 70's and 80's bathurst races, they sounded much more thrilling, entertaining and memorable.

Since I have been watching one of my favourite moments was when Murph claimed his lap record! If I remember right it was broken by Bowe(?) earlier and everyone thought Oh My God! When Murph came out we were on the edge of our seats for the entire lap and to see him break the record was awesome!! Who said kiwi's couldn't drive?

When Jim called the crowd a "Pack of arseholes" I am sure he pissed a few people off but I reckon good on him. You spend many gruelling hours racing your arse off just to be booed by the crowd, I'd be just a tad angry as well. I don't remember the race but i remember dad being pissed at the crowd as well and wanting to hop on a plane and come over and punch a few crowd members in the nose!

#19 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

I was readin a AMC mag not long ago, cant remember wich issue but it had the story of an A9X being raced in american historics in the states, they were talkin about how when the car was in pits all the yanks crowded arownd the car asking what is in that thing and how it sounded, they loved its howling roar..

The ROAR of the Lion hey..

John

That was the ex Wayne Negus HDT A9X owned by Paul Stubber

#20 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

Yeah I saw that car at mallala earlier this year, did a few laps in it, very nice indeed!!

#21 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:34 PM

Since I have been watching one of my favourite moments was when Murph claimed his lap record! If I remember right it was broken by Bowe(?) earlier and everyone thought Oh My God! When Murph came out we were on the edge of our seats for the entire lap and to see him break the record was awesome!! Who said kiwi's couldn't drive?

yes i was one watching that, instead of sitting i was standing up infront of the tv, when i seen those green boxes i thought holly crap his gonna do it hehe. what got me was he could have gone faster but missed a gear going down the dipper. lol

wish i had a few tapes of the 70's/80's

#22 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:14 AM

Chevron sells a boxed set of overviews of all the Bathurst races going back to 1967 (Yes when it was the .....500 not at Bathurst). Five DVD's/Tapes in all, captures all the significant moments. Needless to say, the 1970-75 tape got worn out so I had to get a DVD for those years. The dark years is still in it's wrapper.

#23 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

One Bathurst memory that stuck in my head is "Brockie" racing without a windscreen (as they had to remove it due to it being shattered) a few laps latter he was forced(black flagged from memory) to come back into the pits and remove the rear screen as well , one of the mechanics on the team dives into the back seat of the car and kicks the rear screen out in a flash, poor bloke nearly ended up doing a lap of bathurst in the back seat :tease: just diving out of the car in time as Brock pulled out of the pit bay. Brock didn't win that year, broken timing chain from memory (I think they were forced to use single row chains, even though the double row chain was standard fitment on the Brock VK grp A commodores)

#24 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:55 PM

From memory it was actually two of em. There's is heaps of moments like that.

Funny no body has mentioned Doug Chivas pushing the LJ over the line, or Bobby Morris with his fingers crossed on that last smokey lap.

One of the best moments was watching all those turbo cars in a heap on top of the mountain....that'll teach em.

And how can we forget those Sierra's with the dodgey guards, and Brocky in his Volvo? Told you they was dark times.

#25 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

I remember watching the benson and hedges sierra go down conrod was'nt it and the driver had a heart attack? I was only young then!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users