119 replies to this topic

#26 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:12 PM

I remember watching the benson and hedges sierra go down conrod was'nt it and the driver had a heart attack?

Yeah that was Denny Hulme, at bathurst 92 - great driver with a long history behind the wheel of many awesome racecars... very sad day

#27 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

It was a BMW and yes it was Denny Hulme.

#28 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:59 PM

I was pretty young then as well (12) but i do remember they went on and on about that all through the race if it was heart attack or something else.

I remember the BMWs in the touring cars. Dad like watching them, I think cause of the David and Golitah thing with the BMWs getting up close to the V8s on corners, however the V8s left them behind on the straights.

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 05 April 2006 - 09:00 PM.

#29 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

I was also there when Don Watson converted his VP commodore into the size of the gemini in 94 i think it was was going down conrod.

tuff

#30 _Duck05_

_Duck05_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

Your right about Bobby Morris Yella but I think it was more like 10 smokey laps and his head mechanic was just devastated he didn't think Fitzy was going to able to bring it home...
And as for poor old Dougie Brocky just threw him out the way as soon as he had crossed the pit line.

Regards
Duck05

PS:: Yella that Chevron set you speak of has a DVD set that starts in 1960 when it was the Armstrong 500 at Phillip Island and goes right up to 2002 when it was the Bob Jane 1000.

#31 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:50 PM

^ yeah that's the set, but like I say, there is only one out of the 5 that ever gets any air time.

#32 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:26 AM

Everyone seems to be remebering the top finishers, but what about the guys who should have won but didnt. Lowndes last year is a good example, I honestly thought we were going to see a ford win, then he tags the wall and latter on the day cops the tyre in the windscreen. I guess you just get some days like that

#33 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

yeh but lownds was driving a ford, lol he deserves what he gets, he claims to be a long lost ford man but in his early days he was cruizing around Mill Park in a VR HSV i think it was with number plates HRTJNR...I spose money talks and bullshit walks..

John

#34 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:28 PM

There is a hell of a lot more to Lowndes leaving HRT than money. He certainly did NOT leave HRT to go direct to FORD. When Craig made the decision to leave, he didn't even have a contract in place for the next year, and he had to consider his 10 year contract to TWR to be paid out. Craig was pushed from HRT in the same manner as Gardner and Brock before him, simple as that. They made it very hard for him to continue on at HRT. Brock was trying to get Lowndes to join him in a team with his son, but the timing was no good.

#35 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:36 PM

Dont you just hate office politics, they destroy allot of good things..Craig used to race go-karts many years ago, a very good mate used to race against him under the westgate..

Was Gardner a better driver then he was a rider? Thats someone i never realy followed..

John

#36 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:50 PM

Speaking of Brocky, what about 72' when Brock won in a 202 (3.3) LJ and French(second) a lap down in a 351 (5.8?). Or Lowndes 94' Bathurst debut where he passed leader John Bowe with a hand full of laps to go and was told to back off by the team as the car was running out of fuel, finishing second.

Watched them both kids :blink: (Old fart)

Edited by rodomo, 06 April 2006 - 06:51 PM.

#37 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

Gardner was actually much better than he got credit for. His problem was he should have let his team manager run the team and just driven. He was agressive and fearless, something he got from bikes, but this also got him involved in some incidents, which then allowed people to get involved with him and blame him for it.

Lowndes on Bowe at bathurst 94 was the best move I have ever seen, and John Bowe commented latter it was the best move ever pulled on him.

This wasn't Bathurst, but one of the best displays of driving I have seen in recent years was Brock at Phillip Island in 95. He was behind Johnson, who was following Bowe and trying to get past for a while. As they came onto the main straight, Bowe finally moved to the right and Brock drove straight between the pair of them. A lap or 2 later he went around the putside of Glenn Seton at turn 2 and ended up winning the race from a pretty poor start. Mallala he was spun to the rear of the pack by Allan Jones. he came back through the pack, overtaking Bowe down the back straight on the outside and was only a few car lengths away from Seton who was in the lead when they crossed the line. Brilliant.

#38 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:11 AM

1970...First lap down the straight...All the HOs on the left and Bond pulled out ,ran down the inside outbraking them all...It was short lived but I was jumping off the ceiling! Never forget it. First time I saw an XU1 race.
R

#39 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

All top memories imagine what racing would be like if they kept all the old tracks.. Like Amaroo Etc. The first race i went to was at Amaroo when i was 8 and got brocky to sign my BROCK shirt. Remember it like yesterday.

Tuff

#40 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:45 PM

It's a shame Amaroo is gone now, but for anyone who is in Sydney or close, do yourself a favour and check out Catalina Park in katoomba

#41 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:29 PM

Lowndes move on Ambrose at Phillip Island (last year) at the hairpin just before the lefthander on to the straight was a beauty. Been hounding him for a few laps and Ambrose was hurting and wouldn't let him go. Lowndes out braked him on the inside, Ambrose still wouldn't concede so Lowndes went anyway, up on the ripple strip and probably in the grass, pushing and shoving and loosing mirrors and swapping paint.
I hate this word (hate) but I hate Ambrose more. :clap:

Edited by rodomo, 08 April 2006 - 11:30 PM.

#42 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

Mine would have to be bathurst last year, the big pile up, heh heh. That was awsome,
looks like were getting alota posts in this topic

#43 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:37 PM

Mine would have to be bathurst last year, the big pile up, heh heh. That was awsome,
looks like were getting alota posts in this topic

And Murphy fronting Ambrose?
What could be worse than an Irish Kiwi?
2 more steps backwards and Ambrose would have been over the fence on his arse.

#44 _user asked to be removed_

• Guests

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

[quote name='rodomo' date='Apr 13 2006, 10:37 PM'] [/QUOTE]
What could be worse than an Irish Kiwi? [/quote]
It could be worse

#45 _user asked to be removed_

• Guests

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:20 PM

I was watching a show on SBS, Speedweek and it had Aussie Racing Cars, they are a smaller version of v8's and have a power to weight ratio of 120hp/420kg, they have motorbike engines in em and they were at bathurst, it was the best racing I have seen, they had cars going 3 to 4 wide, it was so crazy, look out for them, it's a good watch.

#46 _fat tony_

_fat tony_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:01 AM

Since a couple of people have mentioned crashes I'll put my two cents in and say the best bathurst crash I think is Bill Brown rolling the xy along along the fence. Both he and a spectator from memory were very lucky to walk away from that one.

#47 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

My memories may go back a tad further than many here but certainly not all.
I loved the early'ish days of Bathurst when Brock and Moffat fought so hard and yet with so much respect for each other.

I remember both Peter and Allan stepping out of their cars exhausted and drenched in sweat, tempers flaring and adrenalin pumping to the max. The fast and sometimes slower than expected pit stops, the shattered expresiion on thier faces when the machinery failed and let them down. The days where they completed the whole race with no driver interchange ( I hope my memory serves me well here) and then the days where they gave their co drivers the leas amount of laps possible to comply with the CAMS rules of the day. At times they would fling their co driver both in and out of their car and hating the fact that they had to share their ride and possibly lose the race.

I could go on but you get my drift. The good ol days!

Cheers
Herne

#48 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:12 AM

i remeber the time wayne gardner crashes on skyline and gets out starts punching the driver that caused the crash through his drivers side window, i dont remember the year but i can still remember it was a good bit of biff

#49 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

i remeber the time wayne gardner crashes on skyline and gets out starts punching the driver that caused the crash through his drivers side window,

You mean to say Gardner had a crash that wasn't his fault? :huh:

#50 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:50 PM

I watched up close the 93 race ...LP said to Harry Hansford.."I want you to go out and do 2 m 16s...The next stint ranged from 2m15.8s to 2m 16.2s. in all sorts of ragged traffic....Harry came back...LP just looked at him and just said.."Amazing!"..Harry just looked at me..shrugged his shoulders and dropped out one of those big smiles he always had...That was GOLD!. :clap:
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users