#51 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:09 PM

How about Brocks last lap in 1979, that was awesome.
It sounded to me like the commentator may have had an idea what Brock was up to ???

#52 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:43 PM

who was the privateer that followed the winner into parc firme stealing the sponsors limelight by getting in the way of the camera shot?
also
who was the driver instructed on air to drive thru and pick up as much gravel as he could before parc firme to meet the weight regulation?

i remember my father going berserk over the 79 finish claiming it was the beginning of the end for motor racing if a team could lead from start to finish and dominate so well.

#53 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:28 PM

i remeber the time wayne gardner crashes on skyline and gets out starts punching the driver that caused the crash through his drivers side window, i dont remember the year but i can still remember it was a good bit of biff

ahhh good ol Captain Carnage i remember that incident, very funny, was hoping 2005 was gonna be the same with murph and ambrose.

other memories include any of the torana wins, bill browns HO rolling on the fence, Lowndes in the 96 race driving in the wet like it was dry, Brocky in his 2 trifectas and his awesome display of skill in 87 in the wet, and thats just to mention a few

#54 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:50 AM

Despite all that, the one that sticks firmly in my mind is all the hype about the Channel 9 Camaro driven by Kevin Bartlett (Dunno which year it was).  How sweet it was to see that thing on it's roof.

Yer me too. It was the first Bathurst party I ever attended at the age of about 16/17 (although it was at home in the garage). But one of my brothers had a heap of mates around from the local drag club in Toowoomba. Also he had just put a Chev into his HJ Panelvan and Geeez didnt the boys rib him once KB flipped it over, hehehe.

Ever since me and my mates have insisted on a carton admisson ticket to each Bathurst Bash. Things have slowed/refined now that the girls do the entertaining and we just cook the BBQ, which is sorta a shame.

Previous to that, it was a gaurantee that I could escape from Church one Sunday a year without being chastised by my mommy. :cry:

Last few years have been fortunate enuff to go down and looks like this year may become my last attendance at the track, so will be a big one!! Every year at the mountain is a memorable one ...

#55 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

i remeber the time wayne gardner crashes on skyline and gets out starts punching the driver that caused the crash through his drivers side window, i dont remember the year but i can still remember it was a good bit of biff

I don't remember that one, I do remember Tony Longhurst doing that to Paul Morris at Winton in the early 90's in BMW's. Morris still had his helmet on though and Tony hit him 3 or 4 times in the head.

#56 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:19 PM

I've watched sweet bugger all Bathurst Footage :blink:

Infact, about the only but that sticks in my head is the first few laps of the '79 Race, which I watched on YouTube...

Tim

#57 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

im currently downloading bathurst 63 - 97.
when its finished i'll send you a disk.
you'll love it.

#58 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:46 PM

:blink:

Swweeeeettttttt!!!

Cheers, that'd be great.

Tim

#59 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

The first time I went to Bathurst was 1987. The year the World Touring Car Circus came to town. Saturday morning we sat beside the track at the top of the mountain waiting..... waiting........
First car across the top in the morning practice was Larry Perkins Enzed Commodore. I'll remember that howling V8 until I die. Music to my ears....

Well bugger me... we must have been sitting beside each other, as that is exactly the same "best" memory that I have... It was my first year also. I went there again in 88 but havent been back since (well with the Touring Cars). The sound of a LONE V8 coming up the mountain (sitting up the top) is amazing. The noise comes and goes and gets louder the closer the car gets, when finally it arrives and goes past you @ 160 KPH at full noise... fantastic. :spoton:

My own best bathurst racing memory was back in 99 at the BLCC meeting in Dec where they have a Conrod Sprint on Sat and a Hill Climb on Sun... going into Caltex Chase flat out without lifting off the throttle is amazing, its about 200 kph in our cars... The buzz last for hours...

Oh and by the way.. a race is stopped with a Red Flag not a Black Flag.... Black Flags are for a penalty... ie get a black Flag and you have to report to the pits, example jumped start.... :D

#60 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:30 PM

I don't remember that one, I do remember Tony Longhurst doing that to Paul Morris at Winton in the early 90's in BMW's. Morris still had his helmet on though and Tony hit him 3 or 4 times in the head.

RED is right..That was the 2 litre series at winton..they touched over the line...not quite..about 100m b4 it..broken Pauls wheel which pushed him into Tony and they both crashed off the circuit 5 m b4 the finish line..Pauls Dad owned the team at the time and Frank Gardner was team manager...Was in the pits that day..things were not pleasant in the Craven Mild/John Player BMW pits that night...
R

Edited by rorym, 02 April 2007 - 09:33 PM.

#61 mag5000

mag5000

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

brock laps ahead and setting fastest lap on the last lap. holden,torana,brock what more could you want if you just watched your first bathust,ya were just hooked from then on

#62 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:08 PM

in the 90 i think in a vp percy and grice see percy driving along skyline one hand on the wheel reminds me of ari vartenen at pikes peak now that bloke was in a hurry

#63 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

For me it would have to be Murphy setting the fastest lap time. The whole top ten shoot out was great. the times just got faster and faster until his.

#64 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:21 PM

Almost forgot...you never lived until you saw F5000/open wheelers at Bathurst...there was real skill and guts.
R

#65 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

whats F5000/open wheelers?

#66 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:07 AM

you flog :rolleyes:

Welby

#67 wingnut

wingnut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

" You Flog " ??? Que ???

Lets try and educate the lad ( Manuel ? ).

I have some good shots of them in action at Phillip Island in march if sombody will post them.

J R.

#68 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

I have some good shots of them in action at Phillip Island in march if sombody will post them.

J R.

I'm hosting a few of JR's pics, and found an example of a formula 5000

Posted Image

Edited by 350LH, 20 June 2007 - 01:17 PM.

#69 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

Here's a link Wingnut Pics with some some additional photos from the Phillip Island meeting in march 06 and 07

Edited by 350LH, 20 June 2007 - 02:20 PM.

#70 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

"you flog" Welby

what are u on about... i asked a question and that was ure Reply

#71 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:10 PM

I apologise if you took offence toddles,

'twas meant in jest.

thus :rolleyes: .

F5000 is Formula 5000, an open wheeler category with 5 litre engines that was once the premier racing category of the nation. Grands Prix and everything.

I did not make allowance for your youthful ignorance and therefore apologise.

Welby

#72 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:51 PM

I was there in 85 (or was it 86, help me out here guys) when Brocky took on the jags, he had to punch out his front screen and then had to pit again to punch out the back one under marshalls orders.

#73 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

I was there in 85 (or was it 86, help me out here guys) when Brocky took on the jags, he had to punch out his front screen and then had to pit again to punch out the back one under marshalls orders.

'85. First year of all Group A. No Group A special road car Commodore then, so the race cars were based on essentially the police pack cars - no spoilers or anything. Brock's drive that year was one of his best IMO against Mr W's Jags. Unfortunately, it ended a few laps from home with a broken timing chain. John Goss won in the Jag.

Edited by oz772, 26 June 2007 - 10:36 AM.

#74 _Duck05_

_Duck05_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:56 PM

ONLY 100 DAYS UNTIL THE GREAT RACE :clap:

Not that I am counting or anything :huh:

:blink: Actually at the time of typing it was 100 days, 16 hours, 4 minutes and 36 seconds until the checkered flag drops :tease:

Regards
Can't Wait aka Duck05

#75 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:04 PM

So that would sorta mean 95 days, 16 hours, 4 minutes and 36 seconds until I open my first can of XXXX Gold on the mountain !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users