Bathurst

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

So it's mainly down the bottom of the hill where the work is. Not around the campsite as such, or does someone else do that ?

Do you need a security lic or can anyone apply ? Do they supply accom ?

#102 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:00 PM

The security is everywhere they even have motor bikes ride around u need ure 1A 1C Security licence First aid and RSA certificate They have a area for security where u can park ure car and pitch a tent its at a real good spot u see the cars come sidways on the first corner and belt it up the mountain. I like it alot cause u get in for free can go anywhere u like and get payed to work at night

#103 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:01 PM

Looks like the security is getting tougher?

http://www.v8superca...r=&gid=32671420

#104 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

^ Way to go !!

#105 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:49 PM

^ Just hope they aren't too late. My first time was 4 years ago, and the civilisation on the top of the hill was pre-neanderthal. Never been back up on the mountain during Bathurst week since. Mind you, at the same time, while they are up there, hey ain't annoying anybody else.

#106 _ingles_

_ingles_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:03 PM

Now the rot sets in-before you know it,there will be all sorts of ridiculous rules and costs involved,or they'll limit the camping.And before you know it ,it's not everymans race week anymore;it's only for a certain elite group.Thats not cool-Ihave stayed on the top of hill several times going back to 93,and its VERY sedate compared to past years.
I reckon i've seen 5 fights in all that time,and you are of nervous disposition,ther are certain areas you probably shouldn't hang out in at night.But although theres lots of piss and rowdiness,everybody is there for a good time with people that share the same interest.
Everyone realizes that if you are a dickhead that ther'es always someone bigger than you who 's quite happy to sort you out.But 99% of people are pretty good.
Sorry bout the long reply,but im passionate about it being an average joe event and at the moment i can see that being taken from your average race fan.

#107 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

Only 40 day's to go which means 35 until Pallbag cracks his first GOLD on top of the Mountain....

3 more sleeps for me and I am there !!!!

#108 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:59 PM

Im there wensday working 12 hour night shifts and sit back and enjoy the races during the day

#109 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, im getting up earlie friday morning should be good,

GO holdens

#110 _revmaniac_

_revmaniac_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:23 AM

not bathurst.....but the best racing ive EVER seen was a wet group 2E at winton or mallalah or something...was only a 5 or 10 lap race and was noteable for the ongoing dice for the lead by a white LJ XU1 and a white LX 4dr.....

the wet conditions meant that the LJ would dive through under brakes but the LX would overtake again on the long straight....two lead changes every lap....

the LJ had the LX till after the start finish line but on the last lap he got over excited and crossed up and the LX went on to win.....

i remember the comentators saying that the race was aired as it was won by the then director of CH 10 motorsport....Mathew White(not the current comentator)

I WILL DO ALMOST ANYTHING FOR A COPY OF THIS RACE.....

the LJ used to get this real unerving shimmy up through the kink in the long back straight...and the front straight went into a hairpin....(damn still cant think of the track name)

#111 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:39 AM

There are just too many memories from the mountain.
Prob one of my favorite was Larry Perkins winning in the last of the Aussie V8's when everyone else was using the gen3.
Damn that was good to see!

#112 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:52 AM

What year was that? i didnt think they used Gen 111 5.7L v8s

#113 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:57 AM

What year was that? i didnt think they used Gen 111 5.7L v8s

Yep, I think your right. There was a change in that the 308 couldn't be used after either Bathurst or the end of that season. But the GenIII wasn't the replacement. I think, from memory, it was a cast iron chev.
Now Holden use their own "motor sport" engine. I'm not sure what block that is based on.

#114 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:18 PM

When i worked at bathurst this year i asked a mechanic what motor do they use he said the 5.0L and its from the states I said why dont they use the Gen3 and he said the 5.0L is heaps better

#115 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,073 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

They now use 5L Chev Racing blocks, AFAIK. Not even the Chevs that they use in Holdens, what a waste of time. I wanna see BOSS' in the Fords and LS1's in the Holdens!

Tim

#116 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

If you want to watch Holden V's Falcon with the road car motors, I'm sure there is a class that will cover that. However I'm sure they won't be as fast or reliable as the V8 supercars.
I went to Bathurst in 1988 hoping to see a good race between the Walkinshaw Commodores and the Sierra's. All the top cars had mechanical problems. First Commodore home was a carby VK ! I think a couple of Corollas even finished in the top ten.

I know V8 Supercars aint perfect, but at least the cars are more reliable and whether you love or hate the safety cars, they help people stay in touch with the leader and make for a close finish. Remember the battle for the top few positions this year, or Lowndes v Kelly over the last few laps last year ? What an awesome way to finish a 1000 km race - the racing is closer now than its ever been.

#117 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

I know V8 Supercars aint perfect, but at least the cars are more reliable and whether you love or hate the safety cars

The Achilles heel for these cars appears to be weak steering arms after a touch and the watts link after a tank slapper.

Neil Crompton let it slip on Sunday's telecast that Vodofone have "altered" their watts link set-up to add strength.

I wonder if they have dabbled with the steering too?

The Fords have their own fail point on the front suspension (upper control arms by the looks on the telly) that doesn't seem to afflict the Holdens. I would have thought they would have learnt from these recurring faults by now.

#118 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

Rodomo,
I am lead to believe that they both use exactly the same front suspension set up....this was for parity reasons..Someone might correct me but I think I am right.
R

#119 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

There are just too many memories from the mountain.
Prob one of my favorite was Larry Perkins winning in the last of the Aussie V8's when everyone else was using the gen3.
Damn that was good to see!

1993...Gregg Hansford co driver..sort of right...all the others were using the Chev 18 degree 5.0L block...Larry chose to stay with what he knew and run the Holden block...everyone said he was nuts and the Chev blocks were better...Guess who was standing on the 1st place podium at the end of the day. I was with NEC then and we sponsored the car..well mainly I sponsored Gregg but it ended up being the car...If you look at the incar foortage during the safety car you can see the NEC patches on their left shoulder on the race suits...we stitched them on saturday night over a bottle of scotch (with Larrys wife and Carolyn, Greggs girlfirend).....not the drivers of course.!!
R

#120 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

Rodomo,
I am lead to believe that they both use exactly the same front suspension set up....this was for parity reasons..Someone might correct me but I think I am right.
R

Yes, I thought that too but it seems to afflict the Fords more?
They are both upper and lower control arm set-ups I think.
I remember Tander had a failure at NZ but can't recall another Holden this season. (Except after major carnage)

Edited by rodomo, 23 October 2007 - 08:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users