VH V8 DISTRIBUTOR IN LX

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:55 AM

Hi there l have got lx torana 308 with standard distributor ,l want to put vh v8 electronic distributor in but l have seen people put small cap on it no the big one, that's what l want to do too. what cap and rotor will fit

#2 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:23 AM

I think the small cap and rotor button you are after is found on XD V8 falcons (the run the same type of dissy) Repco or someone similar will be able to hep you.

#3 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:26 AM

The standard Holden V8 cap fits, but you need to fit a Cortina? rotor button, sorry I can't remember exactly what model, but if you look at the standard Holden V8 rotor, you will find it slops around on the electronic dizzy. The Cortina one has a larger internal key, but other than that it it looks the same as the Holden one.

#4 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:28 AM

thanks for that I'II try that

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:33 AM

Firstly, I think you are talking VK electronic distributor, VH was still points.

The large VK cap will fit, I'm running the large cap. You can see it up the back of this pic.

Posted Image

The only hassle comes in actually dropping the base in past the drip sill. This can be achieved by removing the plastic base (really easy to do). Once it is in, all fits readily under the drip sill.

Hope that helps. Only other thing, is remember to buy Blue Motor spark plug leads. Upgrading to 12v at the coil is optional, and plugs to VK plugs (larger pre-gap, otherwise same as Torana). EDIT: And a hi-energy type coil. The VK ones are oil filled, but tend to leak over time, best going for a solid state type coil (my experience anyways).

Edited by Yella SLuR, 03 April 2006 - 09:36 AM.

#6 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:46 AM

v8 electronic distributor started from vc to vl commodore and wb serries. cap is very tight fit

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:49 AM

nothing.....been covered above

Edited by devilsadvocate, 03 April 2006 - 09:52 AM.

#8 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

v8 electronic distributor started from vc to vl commodore and wb serries. cap is very tight fit

Tell me more, I didn't realise that. Which models, and what where the systems? I thought the VK was the only straight transfer for our old beasts. Happy to learn otherwise.

From my experience it's not the cap that is the tight fit, it's the base as you drop it into the hole hitting on the drip sill. If your the plastic on the base is still pliable, you can distort the base to get it past the drip sill. I prefer not to risk it, and remove the base.

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:15 PM

The electronic ignition came along with the introduction of the blue motor in the VC Commodore, WB also had it. You can fit these into a Torana with the big cap, as the photo suggests, and it will run better with the larger cap. I know lots of people have run them with the smaller cap and had dramas, but I know plenty who have had none. I ran the large cap on my old SS but I have a setup in the shed to run the small cap should I need to, (if I decide to fit it to the A9X) I've never had the problems with points on my current car that I had on the SS. The problem I had with the big cap distributer was 1. it had to be mounted at 180 degrees opposite to how it was fitted in the Commodore, and obviously leads changed to suit, and 2. It was difficult to get the timing correct due to the lid clips hitting on the manifold vacumm fitting (my car was stock with factory air).

#10 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

I think the small cap and rotor button you are after is found on XD V8 falcons (the run the same type of dissy) Repco or someone similar will be able to hep you.

standard holden v8 cap and ford 80 to 83 v8 rotor from bursons . fits good and runs good its easyer with small cap to do timing just got back from drive perfect on road test
thank you to all

#11 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

There ya go. It's a nice upgrade isn't it, so smooth. I take it going that option you get to keep your red motor leads.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 03 April 2006 - 02:17 PM.

#12 _vtss_

_vtss_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

There ya go. It's a nice upgrade isn't it, so smooth. I take it going that option you get to keep your red motor leads.

yes kept the red motor lead's and changed red motor standard ignition coil to an electronic high energy ignition coil that fits red motor lead

#13 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:10 PM

From what I've read the problem with the small cap is the spark arching between the each electrode(?) but this is eliminated by using better quality leads (less resistance no more arching). Don't know if this is true never tried it (my V8's not running yet) but it is what I have read.

#14 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:51 AM

I'm running a 253 with VH Electronic Dizzy. I was told pretty much the same, change to XD V8 rotor and use the small cap. I bought an HEI coil and have never looked back. Starts better, idles better, runs better.

#15 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

Just going to give the 11.0mm Eagle silicon leads a go and see what difference that makes. Also some tricky lead tidy things (in Yella of course) to keep them all neat and tidy down the sides of the rocker covers ---> something else for the extractors to melt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users