- - - - -

My proposed blasphemous project

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

Poll: Good idea or not ? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

Is a Subaru AWD driveline a good idea ?

1. Voted Yes (13 votes [20.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.31%

2. Voted No (37 votes [57.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.81%

3. Voted Maybe - will wait to see the end result (14 votes [21.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hi - new to the forum and don't have a Torana yet but do have big plans.

Looking for a UC or LX Hatchback - nothing unusual in that but what I plan to do to it is :

Would you believe Subaru motor (non-turbo) and AWD driveline ??

Plus another little secret that I don't want to share just yet.

Why a Subaru motor and AWD ? Because I am familiar with them and want modern running gear and AWD. I did think of a Nissan GTR setup but I think that would cost too much $$$$$

Please don't shoot me down in flames and say what a waste of a good Torana, or how it won't work etc etc. I have built modified cars and bikes before so I know what I'm doing.

#2 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

Plenty of work there,mate.

Good luck with it.

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

It has merit

But I'd go the R32 GTR parts myself

Theres a UC around here with the Skyline rear IRS clip already in it

#4 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:57 PM

far from it mate, good luck, plenty of people here appreciate some quality engineering.

Best you start out with a sunbudgie hatch then, being a four and all.

:spoton:

#5 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:36 AM

is your wallet a big money pit?? if not instructions

dig pit
open wallet

throw money in pit :)

#6 _billywest_

_billywest_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:24 AM

Hi - new to the forum and don't have a Torana yet but do have big plans.

Looking for a UC or LX Hatchback - nothing unusual in that but what I plan to do to it is :

Would you believe Subaru motor (non-turbo) and AWD driveline ??

Plus another little secret that I don't want to share just yet.

Why a Subaru motor and AWD ? Because I am familiar with them and want modern running gear and AWD. I did think of a Nissan GTR setup but I think that would cost too much $$$$$

Please don't shoot me down in flames and say what a waste of a good Torana, or how it won't work etc etc. I have built modified cars and bikes before so I know what I'm doing.

hey niterida welcome to the forum good luck on the build when it gets started cheers billywest

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:28 AM

Wait I don't get it, I don't know much about Subarus but wouldn't the driveline suit a laterally mounted motor? What motor would you put in it and what orientation would it have in the car?

If you actually do it, awesome, regardless of how you do it. But however that happens, it will be a lot of work. Make sure you're capable of seeing it through before you cut a good car up. I hope that doesn't come across negatively - I know nothing about your skills or experience

I would also opt for 32 GTR driveline but whatever you can make work is cool

#8 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

Welcome and good luck with it. :)

#9 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

The big challenge would be fitting the strut front end to the Torana engine bay? :huh:

#10 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

good luck i think u should go for it

#11 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

Wait I don't get it, I don't know much about Subarus but wouldn't the driveline suit a laterally mounted motor? What motor would you put in it and what orientation would it have in the car?

If you actually do it, awesome, regardless of how you do it. But however that happens, it will be a lot of work. Make sure you're capable of seeing it through before you cut a good car up. I hope that doesn't come across negatively - I know nothing about your skills or experience

I would also opt for 32 GTR driveline but whatever you can make work is cool

Subaru's are a longitudinal mounted motor - not transversely like most other japanese FWD/AWD cars. So it is going to have the Subaru motor as well as the gearbox and driveline.

Not sure about the rear end but the front is not going to be much work at all. The engine crossmember is no wider than the Torana chassis rails so it will bolt up OK, and the lower control arm mount will line up with the chassis rail too. The strut tops need a mounting point fabricated in the top of the wheel wells but that is easily done using a subaru wheel well. The chassis rails will need to be notched slightly since the Subaru motor is fairly wide but in terms of mechanical fitting that is it - all done !!

I would also go for a GTR but you can get a decent Subaru setup for about $2000 - how much is a wrecked GTR or Halfcut with rear diff going to cost ?

As for my skills - I put a Rotary in the rear end of my Beetle way back in the early '80s, a big block chev mounted between the seats in my CF Bedford and an RG500 motor into a KR1 250 frame with complete custom carbon fibre body work as well as lots of other little projects Posted Image

Thanks for all the comments

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:01 AM

Start with a skyline. About the same sized car as a UC.

Plus that way you have a six, sorry but the Subaru motors just dont impress me that much. Especially NA.

First thoughts are Wha??!!?? but upon further thinking it could actually be a fair proposition. Torry is lighter than either a Scubi or a Skywine and both cars can show decent performance, so grafting all the gear into a lighter body would hold merit imo. Plus it would look a WHOLE lot cooler.

I think the front end would be fairly easy if you had a donor car, just cut the inner guards out of both cars and weld the strut set up into the Torana.

Getting it engineered is another problem.

If you dont want it registered, get the grinder out. If you do, then i would recommend talking to us less and an engineer a lot more.

Cheers.

#13 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

Ahh sweet as, just assumed they'd be like an Evo

Got a good engineer in mind?

Anyway it sounds like the goods to me :spoton:

#14 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

would have to be engineered as a "one off vehicle" (cant remember the technical term, but its something along the lines of a self manufactured vehicle, lots of work) (That's ICV Chris - Indiviually Constructed Vehicle - ender)

As soon as you start touching chassis rails and engineering in new shock mounting points (not to mention going from the traditional torana suspension to a mcpherson strut setup) would make any engineer run for the hills if you were trying to pass it as a "modified vehicle"

I notice you are in WA, might be worth PMing LS2LXhatch as he has a pretty in depth understanding of the rules and regulations that cover WA.

I wouldnt be going for the subaru driveline either, (as others have said) the skyline gear would be more powerful and alot better performer all round IMO.

Im all for modifying toranas, but something about the way they handle and drive (not perfect), is all part of the fun of owning/driving a torana, pushing the 30+ year old designed car to go quick in a straight line and round corners is kind of fun in itself.

Good luck with it (if you choose to go that way) might be cheaper to just buy a subaru and a torana and enjoy the best of both at different times.

#15 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

see, told you it would get a positive response

#16 _Torrie_Man_

_Torrie_Man_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

ahhhh! dont cut up a good hatch!!
Get a stuffed one!

#17 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

Start with a skyline. About the same sized car as a UC.

Plus that way you have a six, sorry but the Subaru motors just dont impress me that much. Especially NA.

First thoughts are Wha??!!?? but upon further thinking it could actually be a fair proposition. Torry is lighter than either a Scubi or a Skywine and both cars can show decent performance, so grafting all the gear into a lighter body would hold merit imo. Plus it would look a WHOLE lot cooler.

I think the front end would be fairly easy if you had a donor car, just cut the inner guards out of both cars and weld the strut set up into the Torana.

Getting it engineered is another problem.

If you dont want it registered, get the grinder out. If you do, then i would recommend talking to us less and an engineer a lot more.

Cheers.

Yeah GTRs are probably better, but as I said they are more $$$ and I know Subarus.
Cutting the whole inner guards off was exactly what I was planning.
I have an engineer I have worked with before so I know what is expected.

would have to be engineered as a "one off vehicle" (cant remember the technical term, but its something along the lines of a self manufactured vehicle, lots of work)

As soon as you start touching chassis rails and engineering in new shock mounting points (not to mention going from the traditional torana suspension to a mcpherson strut setup) would make any engineer run for the hills if you were trying to pass it as a "modified vehicle"

I notice you are in WA, might be worth PMing LS2LXhatch as he has a pretty in depth understanding of the rules and regulations that cover WA.

I wouldnt be going for the subaru driveline either, (as others have said) the skyline gear would be more powerful and alot better performer all round IMO.

Im all for modifying toranas, but something about the way they handle and drive (not perfect), is all part of the fun of owning/driving a torana, pushing the 30+ year old designed car to go quick in a straight line and round corners is kind of fun in itself.

Good luck with it (if you choose to go that way) might be cheaper to just buy a subaru and a torana and enjoy the best of both at different times.

Registering it can't be any harder than registering a street rod. I am changing the suspension from one car to another, but I'm not actually modifying the suspension since it will be mounted exactly as it was in the Subie.
Yeah it would probably be a lot easier to have a Torana and a Subaru but where would the fun be in that ?? Especially when you have an old car that looks cool but handles and drives (hopefully) way better.
Another reason for not going for the Skyline set up is a little idea I have that I am not going to share that will only work with the Subie engine

#18 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:46 AM

hey i hav a uc hatch i might sell but its pretty rusty
there r some pics here
http://www.gmh-toran...=1

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

Its very different to a street rod mate.

Street rods are based on a car built before 1940. Your working with a car built in the late 70's with later model parts going in, entirely different kettle of fish.

Not trying to scare you off, just sit down with your engineer and work everything out first.

Cheers.

#20 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:15 PM

see, told you it would get a positive response

I am actually pleasantly surprised - I was expecting to be bombarded with hate mail. I myself am a big fan of valuable classic cars and hate seeing them butchered - I would never do this to an A9X of course but a worthless old Sunbird is open game Posted Image

To tell the truth I was also thinking of doing the same to a Subaru Brumby, but they are just as hard to find as a hatch. And like hatches they are either rustbuckets or overpriced (personal opinion).
So it is currently a race to see whether I find a Brumby or hatch first..............................

#21 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

Rods also have a full chassis
Are inspected by TAC 3 times before they get anywhere near the pits
They are a very different beast

Good luck though

And by the way... finding a 4wd nissan box is easy and sorta cheap
So to are rear cuts

Got me thinking though... Vh41 or VH45 Nissan V8 with AWD and IRS

#22 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

I seem to recall a brumby up the central coast of NSW somewhere that had full WRX running gear.Its a few years ago that I heard about it,(I never saw it)
Maybe someone else has details?

#23 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:54 PM

Its very different to a street rod mate.

Street rods are based on a car built before 1940. Your working with a car built in the late 70's with later model parts going in, entirely different kettle of fish.

Not trying to scare you off, just sit down with your engineer and work everything out first.

Cheers.

Yeah I know it is different to a street rod but what I was getting at is the fact that they use suspension form a different model eg; Torana and mount it to different chassis but don't change the suspension and then get it engineered, so doing the same to a Torana and getting it engineered shouldn't be too hard. I went through the same thing with my RG500 bitsa - it had totally different rear suspension and swingarm but the engineer passed it OK after checking out all the movements, cog, welds etc.

And by the way... finding a 4wd nissan box is easy and sorta cheap
So to are rear cuts

Got me thinking though... Vh41 or VH45 Nissan V8 with AWD and IRS

hmmmm - how cheap and easy to find are the nissans ? Would make for an awesome swap if you could mate the V8s to the boxes easily enough.
Maybe the GTR might be the way to go if anyone knows where to get a cheap front and rear cut or race-only import ?

I seem to recall a brumby up the central coast of NSW somewhere that had full WRX running gear.Its a few years ago that I heard about it,(I never saw it)
Maybe someone else has details?

Yeah its been done before but not the way I planned - they generally modify the WRX gear to fit into the body and existing suspension setup. I planned to modify the body to fit the complete WRX dribveline and suspension, which is quite a bit wider than a Brumby so you need flared guards. In fact the WRX/Liberty's are slightly wider tracked than the Torana (by about 15mm)

#24 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:56 PM

The big challenge would be fitting the strut front end to the Torana engine bay? :huh:

It wouldn't be the first to have that done....

Grant..

#25 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

definatley do it to a UC, they cut up much easier than LH/X's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users