LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

You either run the numbers or you don't....call me old fashioned but you'll look like a real dick if you're claiming "x" amount of hp but getting no where near what you should run.
That's why so many people avoid the strip.

I do agree, the numbers are arbitrary in the scheme of things.

Thats why I am choosing to tune my set-up using 1/4 mile mph etc rather than dyno time. At least I will know what is really happening as opposed to trumped up dyno figures.

#452 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

I intend to use both, after all average of 4 runs down the quarter on a test and tune night, once a month, with in my case a 240km round trip is a pretty drawn out affair...Particularly when you start looking at lash loops and the like....Booking a chassis dyno for a full day sounds much more feasible to dial it in then use the strip for the rest....But thats just what I plan to do haha. 

Cheers. 

#453 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

I intend to use both, after all average of 4 runs down the quarter on a test and tune night, once a month, with in my case a 240km round trip is a pretty drawn out affair...Particularly when you start looking at lash loops and the like....Booking a chassis dyno for a full day sounds much more feasible to dial it in then use the strip for the rest....But thats just what I plan to do haha. 

Cheers. 

Sounds like a plan.. I used the dyno for a quick baseline but I am self fine tuning the rest at the track. I have to say its more fun self tuning anyway. More work, but its rewarding seeing the small results.

I have had encouragement from others who have gone from 96-105mph passes mostly by fine tuning things. 

I have gained about 3mph over 2 meets by a few small adjustments here and there.. Lots more in my set-up though as its still not as quick as it should be all things being equal. I'll get there...

I am just focusing on mph at the moment, not really ETs. it doesn't really bother me what my car runs 1/4 mile ET, I just want to get the most as I can out of my set-up, and using the MPH is a good gauge to work from (I believe).

#454 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

Solid plan. 

At the end of the day I intend to use the chassis dyno as a tuning tool, so instead of flogging on about numbers, merely look at the improvements....Much like you are with the strip. If it wasnt for my dodgy head job this would be done by now, but oh well, onwards and upwards. 

What times are you running atm?

Edited by Bomber Watson, 27 April 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#455 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

When I had my car on the rollers last, it made 214rwhp & was running about 104/105mph. The slide rule is a guide not gospel, it shows that if you running a particular et & the rule shows something different then it's time to start looking at making adjustments, whether that be driving technique, suspension, engine etc. It also doesn't account for weather or altitude, which has an effect as well. 

#456 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:37 PM

Interesting comments in this thread.  This may or may not help but my engine is a 355 and I used the equivalent to a Morosso calculator and it was spot on with my hp and MPH times over the quarter. Both RWHP and projected engine HP figures were spot on and married up to with the weight of the vehicle and quarter mile MHP.

#457 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:06 PM

When I had my car on the rollers last, it made 214rwhp & was running about 104/105mph. The slide rule is a guide not gospel, it shows that if you running a particular et & the rule shows something different then it's time to start looking at making adjustments, whether that be driving technique, suspension, engine etc. It also doesn't account for weather or altitude, which has an effect as well. 

Yep, the moroso slide was where I worked out that a 2.4 60foot is not a good launch hahaha...

I really have to work on my 60 foot times as they are really poor and robbing my potential ETs... 

#458 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:50 PM

when i had my silvia it went 13.4 @103 mph with the auto it made 199 hp.then with the manual it made 246 hp.the auto was done in second gear and the manual was done in fourth gear.2.1 60 foot times .

#459 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:03 PM

when i had my silvia it went 13.4 @103 mph with the auto it made 199 hp.then with the manual it made 246 hp.the auto was done in second gear and the manual was done in fourth gear.2.1 60 foot times .

maybe i should not have written about my silvia,as it is not a torana.my apolagies.

#460 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

An LJ torana weighs around 2600lb to run 10s @ 124-126mph it will need to be making around 400-410fwhp I would love to know its mid track mph and et, these numbers I have mentioned is pretty much on the money.

#461 _karkraft_

_karkraft_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

Hey guys,that aspirated LC torrie ran today at Day of the drags ran a few 10.3's and 10.27

#462 _Spoon_

_Spoon_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

So now it's cracked 10 sec:

http://youtu.be/9TPVDKbACKY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users