• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#51 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:41 AM

^^^^

Who does the $6K go to? :D

I have such clear memory of that car bouncing its way up the track at Castlereagh drags.

Photo previously posted by TBM.

Posted Image

Edited by CraigA, 22 January 2010 - 07:46 AM.

#52 _clubspClubsportr8ortr8_

_clubspClubsportr8ortr8_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

Hi,it won't cost you $6000 to find out how Jim Rowley went fast as i have a 5page article from an old mag outlining all his mods etc to get his motor revving to 10,000rpm.Basically everything is remade,single ring pistons he had repco cast up,heavily modded crank with weight added to keep torque up,modded massey ferguson balancer,cast his own rods,made his own flywheel,heavily modded oil passages and returns in the block and most importantly an oil feed to no.1 and 7 main cap to help the bearings live.Remember my mods Craig well they all come from this mag.

Jeff

#53 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:38 AM

Thanks Jeff.

What's the magazine/issue no so I can keep a look out for it.

#54 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

why would i spend 6k when we already have something faster :P
but still, that thing hauled ass.

Attached Files

• Attached File  duel.jpg   49.94K   69 downloads

#55 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

^^^^ I think its called technology

Wayne

#56 _clubspClubsportr8ortr8_

_clubspClubsportr8ortr8_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

Craig its an old street and strip mag no.6 with the write up about DUEL and Kevin your dad's is faster but yours what will we expect!!!!! Might see you in about 6 weeks as my XU-1 should be here and Karl has p/up the bits to build my new motor so will you and the EH be up for a match race?

Jeff

#57 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

^^^^ I think its called technology

Wayne

Technology? still duralites, blue rods, blue crank, standard valve position 9 port but with a roller cam mate !

jeff, yeh if mine goes 13 flat off the trailer ill be over the moon, its put together from hand me downs and ground fodder! lol
definitely up for a race. Im guessing karl is karl zerner? the bloke that built Bob Hamiltons motor?

cheers

#58 _clubspClubsportr8ortr8_

_clubspClubsportr8ortr8_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:24 AM

Yes Kevin you guessed right. We are building 2 motors but this will just be an injected screamer then the next will be a blower of some description with some nos lol.Hope you get a 13 mate as all i want to do is run faster than my 13.1 i ran 15yrs ago with a 186 hand grenade.Hopefully this combo goes well enough and you know how Bob's car goes but will see should be fun for me and the kids.Anyway will keep you up to speed so get into the EH even if we make the 6 Bangers this year as thats the one i will go to even if its the only meet for the year.You don't know anyone interested in a custom made MSD Billet dizzy to suit our holden 6 as i bought one from a gentleman and have ordered a few more and have already sold 2 so i think i may have one or 2 extra's.Easier than buying a chev one and trying to convert it lol.

Jeff

#59 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:45 AM

Jim Rowley still has the motor.

#60 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

jeff,
How much for one of those dizzys?,i have only converted one msd dizzy but i do have another one to do atm they arnt that hard to mod to fit hehe.

Cheers Hayden

#61 _clubspClubsportr8ortr8_

_clubspClubsportr8ortr8_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hayden approx $650-$750 depending on the aus dollar atm.The dizzy is genuine MSD and all parts are off the shelf and i may have to up the order as i have 3 sold as of now.Yep mate i know its an easy mod to do to the ones you get but i don't have access or the knowledge to do the mod that's why i am getting these made for myself and a few extra's incase someone else wants one.A pic of the dizzy as it turned up yesterday.

Jeff

https://cache.gmh-to...izzyholden6.jpg

#62 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

Take it from me mate ,that is the exzact one we use has the same mods we do.

looks like i was to slow or to busy as i was told to do this late last year but was to busy ,buy them mod them sell them .

now that ive seen the price im kicking myself i didnt do it.

Chers Hayden

#63 _V6 Chev_

_V6 Chev_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hayden approx $650-$750 depending on the aus dollar atm.The dizzy is genuine MSD and all parts are off the shelf and i may have to up the order as i have 3 sold as of now.Yep mate i know its an easy mod to do to the ones you get but i don't have access or the knowledge to do the mod that's why i am getting these made for myself and a few extra's incase someone else wants one.A pic of the dizzy as it turned up yesterday.

Jeff

http://i720.photobuc...izzyholden6.jpg

hey jeff how often can you get hold of these little suckers...???

#64 _clubspClubsportr8ortr8_

_clubspClubsportr8ortr8_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

Well Hayden the one i bought was made around 18 months ago so yep i thought the price was good as its a straight drop in now no mods needed and as i need 2 i enquired and now i have 5 on order with 3 already sold but smick looking piece of gear so pretty happy with the p/up.
Placid i can get them anytime but there will be a wait for MSD to make them as i am dealing direct through the gentleman i bought this one from so no middle man.If anyone is interested PM me or email at [email protected] as i am just waiting for price and order confirmation for the 5 so could add more.Anyway hopefully they will keep the timing a little better than the ole blue dizzy plus as Hayden will tell you they come with all weights,springs and vac lockout.

Jeff

#65 _V6 Chev_

_V6 Chev_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Well Hayden the one i bought was made around 18 months ago so yep i thought the price was good as its a straight drop in now no mods needed and as i need 2 i enquired and now i have 5 on order with 3 already sold but smick looking piece of gear so pretty happy with the p/up.
Placid i can get them anytime but there will be a wait for MSD to make them as i am dealing direct through the gentleman i bought this one from so no middle man.If anyone is interested PM me or email at [email protected] as i am just waiting for price and order confirmation for the 5 so could add more.Anyway hopefully they will keep the timing a little better than the ole blue dizzy plus as Hayden will tell you they come with all weights,springs and vac lockout.

Jeff

what are there capabilities???? Blown alkie????

Edited by Placid HB, 23 January 2010 - 08:24 PM.

#66 _clubspClubsportr8ortr8_

_clubspClubsportr8ortr8_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

I would imagine the same as the MSD Dizzy's the V8 boys use with there blown alcohol combo's and i hope so as that's where my second one is being used in a blown nitrous setup.Send me an email and i will scan the destructions with the specs for you and you can decide if its what you want for your project.Have a chat to Hayden as he used his when he was trying alcohol.

Jeff

#67 _BlownOutlaw_

_BlownOutlaw_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

The guys in Gladstone are good friends of mine.
Their LJ Torana did crash at the last winternats, water under tyre, rolled 3 times.

Ran 9.14 @ 145 Mph

Holden 202 with a turbo.

#68 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:09 PM

The guys in Gladstone are good friends of mine.
Their LJ Torana did crash at the last winternats, water under tyre, rolled 3 times.

Ran 9.14 @ 145 Mph

Holden 202 with a turbo.

hi, do you know what head is on it?

#69 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:33 AM

it has just got an older type of 12 port open chamber yt aluminum head flows much the same as our 9 port as the same bloke ported them. i saw this car in his shed about a month ago.

#70 GTR600

GTR600

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Name:Brock
  • Car:72 LJ GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

So your old girl ran 10s now your looking at 9s in the hb,

do you think you've got the gear and the right combo to do it trent.

And how far away is this build???

Ya carnt let the cane toads win

#71 _V6 Chev_

_V6 Chev_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

So your old girl ran 10s now your looking at 9s in the hb,

do you think you've got the gear and the right combo to do it trent.

And how far away is this build???

Ya carnt let the cane toads win

the old combo was timed 12 degrees TOO much thats why she no longer exists. it was a quick bang together piece of shit

wrong cam (advanced +2), electronic ignition , fuel system was all (only open half way), wrong very tired blower, standard 9 port head.

now i have the real gear...

when are you racing next i might be able to get hold of some slicks for ya... and this is why i think i can run 8's let alone 9's.

Attached Files

#72 GTR600

GTR600

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Name:Brock
  • Car:72 LJ GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

"Cool" that looks the go,Posted Image

can ya get c16 20 litres would go nice.

Ill be there saturday night if you can get some juice

#73 _fossil_

_fossil_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:43 PM

Drag LC, you're right. there are better flowing heads out there but I don't see anyone going quicker. We use white 3 Bond on the solid copper head gasket.
Bomber , you're right as well. It is a very basic draw through setup. ACL pistons, starfire rods. This is the same engine we have been running since 1999.
You dont run fast by accident. It takes a lot of thought & understanding not to destroy an engine.

Most people who destroy their turbo engines blame faulty rods or pistons because they bend or break. The answer usually lies in the fuel delivery, timing or wrong spark plugs.
Thats why we ran 3 fuel systems. If your engine sees 30 deg timing & 22 lb of boost, chances are you will need new engine & maybe turbo. On the pass before Wal crashed, the
set up was 28deg & 26 lb of boost. The last 5 passes before accident were in the 9.1's after we fixed our ignition problem.
The car weighed 2407 lbs with driver. Don't know the hp, but some of you blokes should be able to work it out.

I'm hoping to trim the weight to under 2000 lbs. Any questions I will try to answer as I check this sight once a week. Des Pimm.

#74 hip6

hip6

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Drag LC, you're right. there are better flowing heads out there but I don't see anyone going quicker. We use white 3 Bond on the solid copper head gasket.
Bomber , you're right as well. It is a very basic draw through setup. ACL pistons, starfire rods. This is the same engine we have been running since 1999.
You dont run fast by accident. It takes a lot of thought & understanding not to destroy an engine.

Most people who destroy their turbo engines blame faulty rods or pistons because they bend or break. The answer usually lies in the fuel delivery, timing or wrong spark plugs.
Thats why we ran 3 fuel systems. If your engine sees 30 deg timing & 22 lb of boost, chances are you will need new engine & maybe turbo. On the pass before Wal crashed, the
set up was 28deg & 26 lb of boost. The last 5 passes before accident were in the 9.1's after we fixed our ignition problem.
The car weighed 2407 lbs with driver. Don't know the hp, but some of you blokes should be able to work it out.

I'm hoping to trim the weight to under 2000 lbs. Any questions I will try to answer as I check this sight once a week. Des Pimm.

#75 hip6

hip6

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

ran 11.55 @114.7mph naturally aspirated in LC 2 door back in 2005 with 9 port, 3 x 45mm webers,flat tappet cam, std crank,rods and cast pistons,trimatic and banjo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users