- - - - -

Hutch's LJ 2 door resto

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:28 AM

G'day all,finally got the camera to play the game again,so i can now post a few pics ( maybe),ok that worked i think
The first pic is the donor car, i drove to sydney to get a round trip of 2066 K's,this supplied me with a rebuilt engine,4 speed gearbox,peddle box,disc brake front end, power booster,dash and a few incidentals.
Pic # 2 is the car that i'm doing up,the interior is pretty good unfortunately the wrong colour so anyone wanting a good interior PM me.
Pic # 3 is the interior.
Pic # 4 is the spare/new parts division.
I have pretty well all i need to do the full resto sitting on the shelf
Shockers all round
balljoints all round
tie rod ends
steering coupling
nolathene front end enhancement kit
new console
air dam front
spoiler rear
gearshift knob
gaurd flutes
steering wheel
alarm and central locking (yeah i know lol)
steering rack boots (might put in a reco/new rack yet)
engine decal kit
trailing arm kits
rear wheel slave cylinders
rear brake shoes
front disc pads
front caliper kits
brake master cylinder (booster to be serviced)
new starter
and last but no least an extreme clutch kit
Attached File  100_3626.jpg   649.79K   70 downloadsAttached File  100_3647.jpg   722.23K   107 downloadsAttached File  100_3623.jpg   877.24K   104 downloadsAttached File  100_3625.jpg   758.44K   86 downloads

#2 _billywest_

_billywest_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:01 AM

G'day all,finally got the camera to play the game again,so i can now post a few pics ( maybe),ok that worked i think
The first pic is the donor car, i drove to sydney to get a round trip of 2066 K's,this supplied me with a rebuilt engine,4 speed gearbox,peddle box,disc brake front end, power booster,dash and a few incidentals.
Pic # 2 is the car that i'm doing up,the interior is pretty good unfortunately the wrong colour so anyone wanting a good interior PM me.
Pic # 3 is the interior.
Pic # 4 is the spare/new parts division.
I have pretty well all i need to do the full resto sitting on the shelf
Shockers all round
balljoints all round
tie rod ends
steering coupling
nolathene front end enhancement kit
new console
air dam front
spoiler rear
gearshift knob
gaurd flutes
steering wheel
alarm and central locking (yeah i know lol)
steering rack boots (might put in a reco/new rack yet)
engine decal kit
trailing arm kits
rear wheel slave cylinders
rear brake shoes
front disc pads
front caliper kits
brake master cylinder (booster to be serviced)
new starter
and last but no least an extreme clutch kit
Attached File  100_3626.jpg   649.79K   70 downloadsAttached File  100_3647.jpg   722.23K   107 downloadsAttached File  100_3623.jpg   877.24K   104 downloadsAttached File  100_3625.jpg   758.44K   86 downloads

hi hutch not another lj with flares you keeping the flares cheers billywest

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:06 AM

Looks like a solid start Hutch.
Did you get rid of the old shell yet?

#4 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

Not gunna put flares on it,dont like em and no i hav'nt sold the shell,got a couple of lookers.
Regards Phillip

just spotted something the pics didnt come through as i entered them,picture #3 should be pic #1

#5 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:21 PM

Ok got the engine and front end removed from the donor car,i will take the sump and head off to see just exactly was done with the "rebuild" it had before i got it,seeing as the guy could'nt tell me if it had a fibre or metal timing gear,and only 2 bolts in the bellhousing ?
So today i brought a new gasket set and a new harmonic balancer.

Attached Files

#6 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

Attached File  torana001.jpg   777.25K   21 downloadsAttached File  torana003.jpg   804.38K   30 downloadsAttached File  torana004.jpg   754.13K   32 downloadsAttached File  torana005.jpg   738.29K   28 downloads
Ok here are some piccies of the engine that was "recoed"................................
$2,000 later,obviously the previous owners idea of engine rebuilding differs to mine."kero rebuild"wack a set of rings and bearings in it,and dont clean it properly so the bearings get scored with crap
Ive had it bored,head rebuilt to run ULP,new cam,lifters and a rebuilt and regraphed electronic dizzy (to run on ulp).just went out to check the heater in the shed,damn paint has gone flat now.
Now all i need to do is get the engine bay cleaned up,painted and strip the body ready for painting

#7 _billywest_

_billywest_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

Attached File  torana001.jpg   777.25K   21 downloadsAttached File  torana003.jpg   804.38K   30 downloadsAttached File  torana004.jpg   754.13K   32 downloadsAttached File  torana005.jpg   738.29K   28 downloads
Ok here are some piccies of the engine that was "recoed"................................
$2,000 later,obviously the previous owners idea of engine rebuilding differs to mine."kero rebuild"wack a set of rings and bearings in it,and dont clean it properly so the bearings get scored with crap
Ive had it bored,head rebuilt to run ULP,new cam,lifters and a rebuilt and regraphed electronic dizzy (to run on ulp).just went out to check the heater in the shed,damn paint has gone flat now.
Now all i need to do is get the engine bay cleaned up,painted and strip the body ready for painting

welldone hutch that,s the spirit how much work you got to do on the preperation for paint and what,s happening with the doner shell cheers billywest

#8 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:10 PM

Ok here's a couple more pics of the finished engine, well all i gotta do is to fit the rocker cover and side plates when the stainless steel bolts turn up,and service the carby

Attached Files

#9 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Ok been a while between drinks,so time for an update,engines all back in and running,exhaust done, 5 speed commodore box is fitted tail shaft modified,clutch converted to cable and working finally,cable accelerator done but needs some work (RARE SPARES SHIT), diff rebuilt, body work done ,painting done see piccie,started on the wiring lume to incorporate the alarm and central locking out of site,steering column converted to floor shift type,.

Ordered a rubber kit last week supposed to be here early next week so i can start to reassemble it,next expence will be the interior and some new boots

Phillip

Attached Files

• Attached File  012.JPG   158.23K   1 downloads

#10 TOERUNNER

TOERUNNER

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Name:RODNEY
  • Car:73 lj gtr 73 lj 2 dr S

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

lookin good phil :clappin:

#11 stevemc32

stevemc32

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LJ 4 Door

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Looking really good hutch, just wondering if you could give us some info on the cable clutch conversion you've carried out.  As much detail as you can muster would be appreciated.

Can you tell me the lever distance you used on the clutch pedal cable mounting position and if you've got a photo of it that would be great.

Cheers, Steve.

#12 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Geeez Phillip, all that time and work done and you post up one pic.....c'mon, we want more.

Looks good but.....

#13 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

I never really took pictures of much other than the donk,cant explain why

LAZY ?

funny thing is i had full intentions of taking a lot of photos but never did

Edited by hutch, 17 March 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#14 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Ok Steve i will try to explain what i done

First i machined up a sleeve to go through the firewall where original rubber bush mounted for the new cable to ancor into, i have welded this into the firewall i think it will be ok. (piccie 1)

As far as the bell housing all you need is a commodore bell housing to suit a 4 speed,be careful to get a pull type lever not a push type,as far as the pedal goes i removed the old ancor pin from out of the top where the original pull rod connected (was almost worn right through) and made a longer one,be sure not to make it too long,i welded it in and drilled a hole for a split pin to hold the cable on (piccie 2),I had all sorts of trouble getting the bloody clutch to work due to a brand new you beaut clutch which turned out to have a dud pressure plate and 3 different throw out bearings, had the bloody gear box in and out 2,335,476,000 times..................... well it felt like it,so the clutch i ended up fitting was a heavy duty blue one tonner clutch that has 40% more squish well thats what i was told lol.

i modified and shortened the cable end by machining up a new end and crimped it on to suit the pedal pin,(piccie 3)

As I have a lathe and a milling machine in my workshop this type of work is easy enough for me to do,if you don't have access to these machines it would not be to expensive to get it done,i used a battery cable crimper to fit the new end to the cable (it crimps on 6 sides) .

Hope this all helps Phillip

Attached Files

#15 stevemc32

stevemc32

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Cheers Phillip,

That was exactly the info I was looking for, thanks for getting the photos up.  I've got the bellhousing and clutch sorted out and am considering just using a piece of 3/4 inch pipe as the collet to weld into the original clutch rod firewall hole.  Should do the trick nicely.

#16 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

No worries Steve,if ya get stuck pm me with some dimensions and I could machine the parts up for you,I should have taken measurements I spose
Phillip

#17 stevemc32

stevemc32

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

Cheers Phillip, that's a great offer.

We'll see how my 3/4 inch pipe goes first and hopefully it'll be sweet.

#18 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

Hmmmmm still waiting on bits for the rubber kit,went and booked the car in to get the interior done today,so I need to get a roll on now and get the lume/ loom back where it should be,and the door rubbers if I got them,I suppose I should get the windscreen ordered too,and the grill,head lights,indicators hmmmmm how does the saying go bite off to much and chew like hell

#19 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

getting there, car looks way better than it does in your photo.

need more photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users