Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Name:Uwe
  • Car:LH V8 1974
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

Does someone know if there are Chevy engine parts fit to the holden 308 engine ?

Like roller rockers ,pushrods,conrods,roller lifters aso.

Uwe

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:19 PM

Standard lifters are small block Chev, rockers are different ratio though. A lot of 355 stroker cranks use Chev rods and journals

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:14 PM

Standard lifters are small block Chev, rockers are different ratio though. A lot of 355 stroker cranks use Chev rods and journals

The standard 350 Chev etc hydraulic lifter is not interchangeable with the Holden V8 as the oil holes do not line up 100% causing problems.
In fact there is no Chev part I know of that fits the Holden V8 without machine work.

Edited by TerrA LX, 26 December 2009 - 11:15 PM.

#4 The German

The German

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Name:Uwe
  • Car:LH V8 1974
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:52 AM

Thank You for the Info

Uwe

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:04 AM

The standard 350 Chev etc hydraulic lifter is not interchangeable with the Holden V8 as the oil holes do not line up 100% causing problems.

Oops, fair enough

#6 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

In fact there is no Chev part I know of that fits the Holden V8 without machine work.

This is news to me. The plunger height is different however as far as I am aware they are otherwise identical.

I have seen numerous Holden engines with Chev hydraulic lifters, Yella Terra even supply a shim to allow the use of Chev Hydraulic lifters with their non adjustable rockers.
There isn't even a Holden Solid lifter, you have to use Chev ones (the plunger height issue is overcome by the need to run adjustable rockers anyway).

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

This is news to me. The plunger height is different however as far as I am aware they are otherwise identical.

There isn't even a Holden Solid lifter, you have to use Chev ones (the plunger height issue is overcome by the need to run adjustable rockers anyway).

These things are irrelevant in a solid lifter, that is why I stipulated hydraulic.

#8 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:41 PM

These things are irrelevant in a solid lifter, that is why I stipulated hydraulic.

You said "The standard 350 Chev etc hydraulic lifter is not interchangeable with the Holden V8 as the oil holes do not line up 100% causing problems." If this was the case then surely the solid lfter would suffer the same oil problems ? Oil has to travel thru both sorts of lifters in order to get to the pushrod and upstairs. Have I missed something here ?

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

^ Well most people running solids tend to want to reduce oiling to the top, especially in the pre efi heads.
You are correct in that the installed height is different.
Must get some lifters side by side one day.

To the OP, my suggestion Uwe would be to have an engine built locally, here in Australia as there are some unique parts in a hot up motor and the know how is here too, then have it shipped to you.
Maybe some local guys can help arrange it for you.

#10 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

They fit Range Rover 3.5 V8 too.

#11 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:04 AM

I dont know a lot about standard chevy parts but I seem to remmeber heaps of people fitting hot up chevy parts to thier holdens.
I do not know if this is true but havxe been told that Chevy 6 fly wheel is same as 308 v8

#12 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,078 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:44 PM

I have seen 350 Chev cranks used to make 308's into 350 cubic inch engines, but this was before the Holden 350 stroker became commonplace especially after HSV introduced their 350 GMH engine in the mid 90's.
On the same note as 76lxhatch says, some 308-350 strokers use large journal SBC rods, and in this case I think they normally use a 350 Chev stroker piston (377-388ci dependant upon bore size).
I have also seen 327 pistons used in 308's, but again before good stuff became available.
Offset ground strokers (around 327-330ci) often use SJ SBC rods.
253/308 heads can take rocker studs and then use BBC (same as Cleveland I think?) roller rockers.
SBC bellhousings will bolt straight up to TH pattern 308's s well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users