Do I have an original SLR 5000?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 _Penik82_

_Penik82_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:47 AM

Good morning,

I have a 1974 SLR 5000 and have been told it is original. I have been trying to sell, however potential buyers have continued to state it is a fake.

All 3 compliance tags match each other and I have been directly to GM (Holden) how have verified it is an original. However the chassis number on the car does not match the compliance plate on the left. I have called GM about this and they have stated they up until a certain date the chassis numbers do not match and the car may have been assembled on different states.

Can any one help wth this I am really looking to sell and it would help to know what I am selling.

Cheers,

#2 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

The chassis number (vehicle serial number) near radiator on drivers side rail should match the number on the Safety Compliance Plate, which is the one riveted to the drivers side.
The number is on the same line as the build date above "Seating Cap" The chassis number does not match the number on the VIN or Body Identification Plate, although the VIN and body ID plate should match.
Post up some photos of the tags and chassis number for better confirmation of your SLR5000.

#3 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

As far as LH & LX, Holden can only really verify that the tags represent a vehicle they would have produced and decifer them. You need someone from a club or know what they are talking about to tell you.

#4 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

unfortunatly it sounds as if the tags don,t belong to that body

most likely done by previous owners,

best you post some I.D numbers and engine number and someone can verify if any of the car is SLR5000.

#5 _ronaldoredsox_

_ronaldoredsox_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

unfortunatly it sounds as if the tags don,t belong to that body

most likely done by previous owners,

best you post some I.D numbers and engine number and someone can verify if any of the car is SLR5000.

Does it have a HT engine number prefix?

#6 marcoslr

marcoslr

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Name:John Da Silva

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

According to the workshop manuals that i have on the LH Torana and i have about 3 of them the Chassis number stamped near the radiator should match the passenger side plate and the skiny one in the middle but not the drivers side plate and the reason is because one of the numbers applies to the number holden produced at a particular plant regardless of model and the other applies to the number torana produced by holden and in the old days Holden company workers were known to make mistakes but some one with an original slr 5000 should be able to clarify it for you because even the manuals are not that clear on this matter.

#7 racean69

racean69

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Name:Rod
  • Car:LH sedan

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Don't sound good mate..

who has said it is original?

is holden saying the car was assembled partly in one state then completed in another???

#8 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

Best just to post the numbers, you'll get a quick answer after that.

#9 _Penik82_

_Penik82_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

Hi All,

I am trying to attach the photos but am having trouble getting them online.

I have had a look for the chassis no near the radiator but can not locate it.

I will keep trying to attach photo's.

Cheers.

Nik 

#10 _RLH308_

_RLH308_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

Good morning,

I have a 1974 SLR 5000 and have been told it is original. I have been trying to sell, however potential buyers have continued to state it is a fake.

All 3 compliance tags match each other and I have been directly to GM (Holden) how have verified it is an original. However the chassis number on the car does not match the compliance plate on the left. I have called GM about this and they have stated they up until a certain date the chassis numbers do not match and the car may have been assembled on different states.

Can any one help wth this I am really looking to sell and it would help to know what I am selling.

Cheers,

Hi,

Just curious, how much do you want for the car and have you got some pics. I'm looking for an early ( I see you said it is a 74) LH for resto but would love to get a 5000.

I don't know what to think of the whole i.d plate thing as I rang Holden in regards to a so called genuine 5000 that I was set to buy. When the guy asked for the vin chassis number I started rattling off the BLH------ number that was stamped into the body, when he interrupted me and said that it was not the chassis number. As far as any other car i've had, the actual numbers stamped into the body (not on a plate) is the chassis number. Anyway after having an argument with him he said it's the 15 digits starting with 8 (small thin tag)!!!! How hard is it to swap that and the other 2 plates over?????? Not even, swap thin one and right hand one that way the number on the left plate and the body stamp still match up!!!!

It is getting too hard to find a real SL/R, A9X or L34 nowadays and this just makes it even harder for people, unless you are or know a guru that knows the ins and outs of these old girls. I love my Torana's but to get my hands on another one seems to be too hard. I almost forked out a fair bit of coin for a car that was supposedly genuine but ended up being a shonky made up one by someone who was handy with some letter punches.

Anyway enough about that, what else can you tell me about yours????? Cheers.

#11 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:44 AM

I don't know what to think of the whole i.d plate thing as I rang Holden in regards to a so called genuine 5000 that I was set to buy. When the guy asked for the vin chassis number I started rattling off the BLH------ number that was stamped into the body, when he interrupted me and said that it was not the chassis number. As far as any other car i've had, the actual numbers stamped into the body (not on a plate) is the chassis number. Anyway after having an argument with him he said it's the 15 digits starting with 8 (small thin tag)!!!! How hard is it to swap that and the other 2 plates over?????? Not even, swap thin one and right hand one that way the number on the left plate and the body stamp still match up!!!!

GMH identifies vehicles only by the VIN (the small thin tag) whilst registration authorities use the chassis number. The difficulty today is that GMH do not have any records linking the VIN and chassis numbers :dontknow:
Consequently a GMH confirmation letter can tell you no more than what the tags were attached to 30+ years ago. In Victoria the old Vicroads registration cards had the chassis number and engine number recorded and these details are now held by the Association of Motoring Clubs (AOMC) It is therefore possible to check if the chassis number originally had an HT prefix engine number.

The following links may also be helpful.

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=3669&st=0

http://www.holdentorana.com/lookup.html

Edited by V-SLR5000-P, 05 January 2010 - 06:46 AM.

#12 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

I could check on my 5000 if they match if you want? I never believed that they did match on the LH's. Mine is one of the first off the line, March 1974.

I found a new stamped number on my LX that I never knew existed, but it appears to relate to nothing whatsoever!!! It is under the car.

#13 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:37 PM

^ I was wrong. Both the LX and LH SL/R 5000 chassis numbers match what is on the driver's side compliance plate. Reminds me, I need to change the manifold on the 308 to get rid of those dual charchoal cannisters, makes it hard to look at the Chassis Number.

On the LX, behind the front right guard, there is the number 200 stamped, but don't know what that relates to? Doesn't match any part of the VIN or Chassis Number? Does anybody else have a number stamped in this location and/or know what it relates to?

Edited by Yella SLuR, 05 January 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#14 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

According to the workshop manuals that i have on the LH Torana and i have about 3 of them the Chassis number stamped near the radiator should match the passenger side plate and the skiny one in the middle but not the drivers side plate and the reason is because one of the numbers applies to the number holden produced at a particular plant regardless of model and the other applies to the number torana produced by holden and in the old days Holden company workers were known to make mistakes but some one with an original slr 5000 should be able to clarify it for you because even the manuals are not that clear on this matter.

I think your books either need to be re written or re read. The chassis number should match the COMPLIANCE plate which is on the drivers side firewall. The PSN (VIN or thin middle plate) matches the body option plate affixed to the passenger side firewall.

Back to the original question, if you cant post pics, post all the numbers from all 3 tags, chassis and engine including date code

#15 _Penik82_

_Penik82_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

Good morning,

Cheers,

Hi,

Just curious, how much do you want for the car and have you got some pics. I'm looking for an early ( I see you said it is a 74) LH for resto but would love to get a 5000.

It is getting too hard to find a real SL/R, A9X or L34 nowadays and this just makes it even harder for people, unless you are or know a guru that knows the ins and outs of these old girls. I love my Torana's but to get my hands on another one seems to be too hard. I almost forked out a fair bit of coin for a car that was supposedly genuine but ended up being a shonky made up one by someone who was handy with some letter punches.

Anyway enough about that, what else can you tell me about yours????? Cheers.

Hi, Thanks for your comments.

I am after 27000 at the moment, if it turns out the chassis is not original 17000 (neg). It does not have the original HT engine in it, but I can get my hands on a HT motor locally.

It's a regretful sale but one I had to make. I am trying to attached photos to my profile on this site but am having real issues getting them online. If you like I would be happy to send them via email so you can check her out.

Talk soon.

Nik

#16 _Penik82_

_Penik82_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hi All,

I have been trying to attach photos to this site for days now but still with no luck.

I have attached a link for the trading post where you can see some pics.

Cheers,

Nik

https://www.tradingp...SAAAAEkORMKs9K2

#17 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

So the Chassis number stamped near the radiator isn't BLH 044188 M.

What is it?

#18 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

as i pointed out earlier,the tags don,t belong to that body or car,so as for being an slr5000 that it isn,t,
maybe the tags are,but as we know they don,t belong to that car,
pop rivits are at your local hardware for these compliance plates.

#19 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

The tags dont appear to have been off the shell in my opinion. Judging by the pics.

#20 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:49 PM

The tags match up fine and the build date on the compliance plate is consistent with the
VIN.

So the Chassis number stamped near the radiator isn't BLH 044188 M

FastEH poses the relevant question, if its not BLH 044188 there's a problem. Otherwise there are a number of visual pointers to your car being an SLR, stainless trim around the windows, vinyl door tops, SLR door cards, SLR dash.
I'm not ready to condemn this car as a fake yet on what we can see and the information we have. More info required, specifically the chassis number.

#21 marcoslr

marcoslr

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Name:John Da Silva

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

Thank you, i stand corrected, i realized my mistake a few days ago but did not have time to post my apoligy and yes the chassis number should match the number on adr plate drivers side

I think your books either need to be re written or re read. The chassis number should match the COMPLIANCE plate which is on the drivers side firewall. The PSN (VIN or thin middle plate) matches the body option plate affixed to the passenger side firewall.

Back to the original question, if you cant post pics, post all the numbers from all 3 tags, chassis and engine including date code

#22 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

The tags dont appear to have been off the shell in my opinion. Judging by the pics.

the car is over 30 years old ,this could have been done up to that time ago and had gmh black touch ups in engine bay 10 times since,if the chassis number doesn,t match tags there is a problem with its identity,people on production line can make mistakes ,but when the chassis number is given the truth about this will be unveiled.

#23 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:02 AM

IT COULD HAVE EASILY HAD A CHASSIS RAIL REPLACED

#24 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

.... Otherwise there are a number of visual pointers to your car being an SLR, stainless trim around the windows, vinyl door tops, SLR door cards, SLR dash.

Let's not forget the factory/dealer option driving lights!!! Nice.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 08 January 2010 - 10:01 AM.

#25 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

IT COULD HAVE EASILY HAD A CHASSIS RAIL REPLACED

for sure,but should of been reregistered one way or another,a police number issued,you carn,t just use another cars i.d and not be detected, if it is done legitimatly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users