Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Car:9/70 LC GTR

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting anything so here goes...

A while back I owned a 69 LC GTR that only had two tags and a sever amout of just, sills gone, fender sections of front guards, beaver banel, boot floor etc all were cheese greaters or not even that. By the tags it was Vedora Green Metalic and Antique Gold interior. Original motor had bee replaced by a 186. Car had beem painted white with rally stripes. Paint was all crows footed and no good. You could see the original Green under the wiper motor. Anyway a mate had a look at the car while having a couple of socal beers and tald me that this has been a cut and shut. I asked him how come and you could see the join right across the floor, basically dead cente of the door jam. On the Chassis rail underneith there were plates welded over the rail were the join was. I was shattered so the car had to go. Sold on ebay.

I have recenlty in the last month purchased aother LC GTR. By the tags it's mediterranean blue and Sandlewood Vynl. Car does have the usual rust and has been sand blasted and undercoated. Bought as a roller with no motor or box, plenty of spares and two other cars LC 4 door and LJ 4 door to cut out original panels from were needed.
I do have access to a correct date coded 161S and 4 speed as this LC doesn;t list the engine number on the VIN CD.

I want to build the car as close to original as possible but want it to go a bit more. I have got lined up a VK black motor 202, stroked, big cam etc and run tripple dellortos with an M21 and 336 LSD banjo.

Does anyone know how many mediterranean blue metalic / Sandlewood Vynl LC GTR's were built ???
How rare is this paint and trim combination ???

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

70LCGTR

#2 _Torrie_Man_

_Torrie_Man_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

Any pictures mate?

#3 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

Hi Sorry about the delay. Been way to bloody hot here and have been trying to get off these darn crutches but anyway here are some pics of the car as I have it at the moment.
Body external and internal has been sand blasted and undercoated to see were the cancer is hiding...

Attached File  Picture 001.jpg   122.54K   61 downloadsAttached File  Picture 002.jpg   129.36K   80 downloadsAttached File  Picture 003.jpg   131.29K   84 downloadsAttached File  Picture 004.jpg   97.28K   77 downloadsAttached File  Picture 005.jpg   133.38K   72 downloadsAttached File  Picture 006.jpg   148.05K   64 downloadsAttached File  Picture 007.jpg   76.59K   57 downloadsAttached File  Picture 008.jpg   97.08K   40 downloads

#4 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

Hi Everyone,

Finally have got the car back from the blasters. Underneith the car has been sand blasted and undercoated along with the front end in peices and the diff housing.
Can see all the cancer in it now. Only two surprises. Section on the top inner passanger side guard is a bit thin with quite a few pin holes. One small part of the passager side bottom of the firewall about the size of a twenty cent peice.

I have added some new pics.

Cheers.

Attached Files

#5 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:23 AM

good project you have there mate, is the car adelaide or brisbane built??? do you have a close up of the top wishbones the ones under the spring on the bench.
keep the pics commin.

cheers gong

#6 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the comment there mate, much appreeciated. The car was built in Brisbane. I have just added a couple of close ups of the wishbones for you.

Whats your opinion of using something like POR15 for painting the diff and or frontend components ???

Thanks,

Attached Files

#7 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:15 AM

mate you can use it if really glossy is the look you are chasing, your top wish bone are from a 73 car so if you are going original you will need to change them,, well keep the pics commin as you get into it.

cheers gong

#8 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:32 AM

Good to hear another GTR will be back on the road , the motor sounds like it will give you plenty of enjoyment .Have you any pictures of a mediterarrean Torana ,Ive never seen one .

#9 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

Hi Gong,

I am guessing the underneith / frontend would need to be in GMH Chassis black semi gloss ??? I would like to use the POR but am not really after that High gloss finish I don't think.
How do you know the upper wishbones are from a 73 car. I was lead to belleive the front end there was the original one...

Thanks,

70LCGTR

Hi threeblindmice

I have attached a picture of I think it is dpz's Mediteranean Blue GTR. I have never seen on either until this one. It's the same paint and trim combo as the one I have.

thanks,

70LCGTR

Attached Files

#10 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

lc and lj up till late 72 had the small hump only from 73 on had the wide hump like the one in your pics mate,

cheers gong

#11 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Cheers gong. Thanks for that.

Now you say it the front end was only bolted on by the four bolts through the chassis rail and none though the end of the K frame.

I do have a spare front end off an LC S 2 door. I have just checked it and can see the difference in them now you mention it.
Will need to pull them off, sandblast and paint them... awesome

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Woka

#12 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

Update on project..... I have had a rush of blood the past few nights have have been stuck into the LC

Cut out the floor pans that someone had previously welded in with and oxy with and overlap of about 2 - 3 cm and didn;t weld underneith and left the open to collect more dust and therefore rust. I have taken some before during and after shots. I have since cleaned out around the xcross member plates inside the chassis rail.

The fifth pic shows on the far right the floor pan that I am cutting out, underneith that you can see the rusted original floor pan that the new one has been put over top off and the inner sill.

It's now ready for the new pans to be installed. Looking forward to it. Hope to collect a couple of bargins @ the Castlemaine swap meet on Sunday.

Cheers,

Woka

Attached Files

#13 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't updated any info on my project for a while. We had a daughter who has just turned two and got married approx 2 months ago so it has been full on.

I have been to a few swp meets etc collecting some bits and peices. Front floor pans are in. Replaced reaer passenger floor pan from a doner car.

Left and Right side boot floor pans have been replaced. Inner reaer quarter replaced. Spare Wheel Well replaced with one from doner car.
Drivers side full sill to reaer wheel removed. Inner all painted ready for new one to be installed. Front and rear suspensions parts have been painted.

Trying to organise some engine components and what two use. I have a Black 202 with possibly a Yella Terra 12 port head on it and also tripple Dellortos

Was thinking of using a Wade 140 cam or something similar. 9 port or 12 port head and what rollers to use as everyone seems to have a different opinion.

Ill add in some pics and see what you think.

Cheers,

Woka

Attached Files

#14 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

More Pics

Attached Files

#15 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

Good to see you back into it. I also have an LC GTR with same color and trim combo. From what l can gather this was fairly rare. Dpz is only other one I know of. Got my motor in yesterday and starting to put back together next week. Can't wait. Will watch you build with interest.

#16 gazzas

gazzas

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for posting the pics of your resto.
I had a GTR the same colour in the late 70's which is still a car which holds fond memories.
Unfortunately it was stolen/stripped and burnt but one day i will get hold of another LC or LJ.
Hope your car gives you plenty of pleasure when you get to drive it.
cheers

#17 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:10 AM

good to see you have stuck with it daniel, i was starting to think you had sold the car and moved on, its commin along great, has said before keep the pics comming mate and good luck.
cheers gong

#18 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

Macka - Yeah I am excited about this one too. I think it was Dpz that told me there were approx 10 of this paint and trim combo built and maybe about 5 left.

Gazza - Sorry to hear about your GTR. I hate hearing things like that about these iconnic cars. i can't wait to get it back on it wheels.

Bathurst-32D - I have stuck with it yes... replaced both front floor pans, both rear boot floor pans. Inner reaer quarter on the passanger side. spare wheel well from doner car. rear passanger side floor pan from doner car.
Have drivers side rear quarter, drivers sill, passanger sill, both front fenders, front valance, nose panel, both reaer quarters to go..... maybe the rear beaver panel as well..

Does anyone know were to get a LC / LJ rear beaver panel from besides a rare spares one and if so how much ??

Hope to have more pics up soon...

Cheers,

Daniel

#19 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:52 AM

Daniel any further updates?

#20 dpz

dpz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

bump

#21 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been back here for a while.
Still going on it. Both rear quarters done.
Full length drivers sill done.
Passenger side sill done.
Drivers side fender done.
Nose come, valance and passenger fender to go.
Clean up rep fill some welds underneith and the paint it.
Then off the bloody rotisserie and onto a frame closer to the ground lol

Back in march got my sandalwood door trim kit from Winner Products, very impressed with.

Bought an lh one owner grandma car, 88,000 kms all books, owners manual, owners guide,
Accessories fold out brochure, 5 button am radio guide and warranty card.
Smiths there quarter under dash air con and cockie catcher on the front window.
Bought 3 weeks before Bright Rod Run. Repaired a couple bits if rust, painted, club plates on
The Wednesday and drive to Rutherglen on Friday. Car hadn't been registered since 2005.
Ran like a top. No mechanical issues, surprised how well drive for all round drums.
Did 1000 kms in 3 says lol

Hope to get some more pics up soon.

Cheers,

Daniel

#22 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

holly crap hes alive :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
good to see your still moving on this one have we got any pics mate, and how did you go with getting a rear beaver ???

cheers gong

#23 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Yes Gong. I am alive and well. Work and family have kept me busy.
I have kept going with it. I did cut off a hole rear section from a ta
Torana to use the beaver panel. Spoke to a couple mates and
beaters about it and have decided to pull the 2 dints and repair
the original one.
I'll add some pics here and see if they upload.

Cheers,

Dan

#24 70LCGTR

70LCGTR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

More Pics