LPG + Oxy torch?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:07 AM

I was thinking, I have an old basic torch that hooks up to a Primus bottle (Tiny round LPG 2kg) which is brilliant for silver soldering. It's the same style of thing as the torches which screw into the top of those small gas bottles about the size of a 1 litre milk carton. Mines a little bigger than those. I can get stuff pretty hot but I wondered about using an oxy torch with LPG instead of acetylene. I have used this style of thing on jewellery repairs in the form of a mini torch (the body/handle is about the size of your average artline texta) and it worked brilliantly too.

Am I just looking for more uses of my BBQ or would this actually be a practical thing to do?

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

On bigger cylinders its quite a common thing...but they use flashback arrestors...not sure that using the small bottles is such a good idea.

#3 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

We use LPG with oxy as it a cheaper way of heating steel than acetylene however its not great for for cutting and does require a different gauges for the gas and cutting/heating tips so... if your not using great amounts of acetylene forget it

#4 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:40 AM

The small bottles wont flow enough gas.
You will risk flashbacks & blow backs, which is very dangerous.

#5 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

I was thinking, I have an old basic torch that hooks up to a Primus bottle (Tiny round LPG 2kg) which is brilliant for silver soldering. It's the same style of thing as the torches which screw into the top of those small gas bottles about the size of a 1 litre milk carton. Mines a little bigger than those. I can get stuff pretty hot but I wondered about using an oxy torch with LPG instead of acetylene. I have used this style of thing on jewellery repairs in the form of a mini torch (the body/handle is about the size of your average artline texta) and it worked brilliantly too.

Am I just looking for more uses of my BBQ or would this actually be a practical thing to do?

My brother was using LPG for years (full size bottle though) in his general engineering business but had to use different regs & tips, cheaper gas & no bottle rent. Don't remember what the cut quality was like. Have to ask him if he ever tried oxy welding with it?

#6 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

my dad used to use a turbo torch with oxy and lpg because he couldnt afford to pay rent on oxy bottles(well probably more didnt want to) he said it works but its got to be in a spot were nothing can be burnt because of the size of the flame which s why he uses acetelene now much more precise

#7 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

Loosely speaking , large engineering workshops use LPG for cutting steel in quantity or preheating steel for welding because it is significantly cheaper then Acetylene in quantity.

However , don't then confuse this with LPG being used for welding or burning etc by plumbers / painters and kind. They use LPG in this application because it is a softer heat.

BOC/Liquid Air will reccoment fuel gasses in the following heat ranges.

LPG / Air softest heat - paint scraping etc
LPG / Oxygen soft heat - lead wiping / soldering / pre heating but with specific cutting tips - steel
Acetylene / Oxygen - general brazing and silver soldering , cutting.
Hydrogen / Oxygen - Glass blowing and jewellry work used for maximum heat but also for cleanest fuel with least impurities.

Happy heating

#8 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

Have to ask him if he ever tried oxy welding with it?

It's no good for oxy welding.

#9 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I would use a 9kg bottle not the little one, I only use that with the torch I have at the moment.

This is my torch and tiny bottle.
Attached File  DSC00041.JPG   313.09K   6 downloads

And this is the biggest thing I've done with it. Some 1.5mm stainless and silver soldering on my RC boat.
Attached File  DSC00042.JPG   273.78K   7 downloads

Edited by Gunmetal LH, 10 January 2010 - 02:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users