Xu1 gearbox cross member

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

Was going through my box's of parts I got with my xu1 and noticed that I had 2 rubber end mounts that the ends of the gearbox cross member slots into then bolts to the chassis.Would they be for my car,been told the XU1s didn't have them???

#2 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

Was going through my box's of parts I got with my xu1 and noticed that I had 2 rubber end mounts that the ends of the gearbox cross member slots into then bolts to the chassis.Would they be for my car,been told the XU1s didn't have them???

The workshop manual indicates they were used to mount the auto gearboxes.

#3 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

better update the register dane ! Posted Image

#4 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

XU1 auto... rare as

Quick get it on ebay !!!!

#5 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

XU1 auto... rare as

Quick get it on ebay !!!!

There actually in quite good condition I wounder if I through them on ebay listed as (off an XU1) how many idiots would bid on them because it says off xu1.
Lucky I'm not a evil person to try and do them sorts of things. :sofa:

#6 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:15 PM

A couple of years ago i wrecked 2 1973 LJ 4 doors, one was a traumatic auto and the other was a 3 speed manual. The auto had the rubber while the manual never. Also i noted the holes in the auto crossmember were larger (Around the size of a 10 cent piece) while the manual hole sizes was around the size of a 1 cent piece...........

#7 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

A couple of years ago i wrecked 2 1973 LJ 4 doors, one was a traumatic auto and the other was a 3 speed manual. The auto had the rubber while the manual never. Also i noted the holes in the auto crossmember were larger (Around the size of a 10 cent piece) while the manual hole sizes was around the size of a 1 cent piece...........

Bruce was there spacer blocks that went between the cross member and chassi rail on the xu1s,I'm sure I seen them on Huddo's car but could be wrong.

#8 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

Bruce was there spacer blocks that went between the cross member and chassi rail on the xu1s,I'm sure I seen them on Huddo's car but could be wrong.

hi dane, and yes there are steel spacer blocks.

hey bruce whats a 1 cent peice,is that something like a penny.

cheers craig

#9 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

hi dane, and yes there are steel spacer blocks.

hey bruce whats a 1 cent peice,is that something like a penny.

cheers craig

cheers Craig
has anyone got a pic of one??

#10 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

Posted Image

^^^^^^^ The manual is on the left, the auto on the right. The 1973 cars used a much stronger gearbox crossmember compared to its 69, 70, 71 and 72 brothers. I feel alot of these extra strenghening bits on the 73 cars was learn,t while developing the V8 LJ in 1972..................

Posted Image

^^^^^^^ A 0ne cent piece Craig (LOL)........

Dane, I have,nt got any of the metal spacer blocks here as they are at Huddo,s, he may be able to help............

#11 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

[/quote]
has anyone got a pic of one??
[/quote]

#12 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

MORE RESEARCH !!!!!!!!!!

Was it only the 73 cars that used these metal spacer blocks or was it ALL XU-1,s ?????????

My memory certainly aint what it used to be................. :dontknow:

#13 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

This is a spacer kit for an Opel gearbox. As far as I know, the Aussie used the two rectangular spacers on the crossmember as well (but not the big ones in the centre).Attached File  2976_1.jpg   11.36K   41 downloads

#14 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

Hi all

Here is the setup for all 6 cylinders fitted with the Aussie 4 speed.

Cheers

Bazza

Attached Files

#15 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

Im presumming because the 73 crossmembers were wider the 2 holes either end would be wider also. I have,nt got a LC or 72 LJ crossmember hear to compare. Can someone measure a 73 one to a LC or 72 LJ one please ???? It would appear they all ran these metal spacers though the 73,s may of had to be made longer to accomodate the wider crossmember........

Thanks for the pics & info oz772 :spoton:

#16 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the input so far. :spoton:
I thought when I was looking at Huddo's cross member I saw 4 separate blocks for each bolt hole on the ends but again could be wrong and dreaming.I might give Huddo a ring tonight.
cheers Dane

Edited by sunburst73-xu1, 27 January 2010 - 05:24 PM.

#17 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

Hi Fly

I don't have a '73 parts catalogue, but for comparison purposes the one above from the '72 print is P/N 2813651

Cheers

Bazza

#18 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

Posted Image

^^^^^^^ The 1973,s are roughly 14.5cms or 145mm from centre to centre.

PS : Could,nt find an inch ruler only cms.............

Thanks Baz :spoton:

Edited by FLY_AGAIN_XU-1, 27 January 2010 - 05:44 PM.

#19 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the input so far. Posted Image
I thought when I was looking at Huddo's cross member I saw 4 separate blocks for each bolt hole on the ends but again could be wrong and dreaming.I might give Huddo a ring tonight.
cheers Dane

hi dane, mine look like what bazza has,and the 2 outter ones oz772 has input.
what our cars are a month apart?they should be easy to replicate,if huddo its too tied to let you measure his then i,ll pull out one of mine, by looking at bazza,s effort there you go.

thanks fly, did you ever use these 1 cent peices?
what could you buy for 1 cent?
nothing nowerdays.
cheers craig.

#20 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:53 PM

PS : Could,nt find an inch ruler only cms.............

Thanks Baz :spoton:

Hi Fly

5 3/4"

Cheers

Bazza

#21 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

[/quote]
thanks fly, did you ever use these 1 cent peices?
what could you buy for 1 cent?
nothing nowerdays.
cheers craig.
[/quote]

I certainly did Craig and when i was a youngen i could buy 4 cobbers for a cent, then they went up to 2 for a cent, then a cent each, then 2 cents each. I stopped buying them at 2 cents each. I cant recall learning inches though, only centimetres and millimetres etc...........

It appears the LC and 1972 LJ had a 2 1/2 inch gap centre to centre, while the 1973,s had a 5 3/4 inch gap centre to centre requiring the 1973 cars to have a different sized spacer to its earlier brothers..............

Thanks Baz.....

#22 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

Could it be possible that the 73 xu1 didn't have the spacers at all????
Its clear that from the introduction of the Aussie 4 speed that there was spacers from late 71 all the way through 72.But with the change of the cross member in 73 and no part number maybe they didn't have them?????
cheers Dane

#23 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

dane hi if your xu1 is a 7/73 no spacers are fitted providing u have the right cross member

a 73 cross member where the bolts are have the ends lowered simmilar to a step on a stair case

if u put up a photo of yours front and side shot ill tell u if its the one u need i would put a photo up if i knew how

i checked 2 of my unrestored xu1s 5/73 and 9/73 for u and both have bolts only im 100% possitive

hope this helps u

regards aldo

#24 _UFO XU1_

_UFO XU1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

Daneo
Mine are one piece the same as Bazza has shown
Looks as this could turn into another XU-1 Mistery????????
Mine when i bought it didn't have them but i was informed by Dave McLean (ex- Allan Grice Bathurst Mechanic)That these were on all XU-1's so we tracked down some 5/16" plate & made them as per original.
As for the parts manual for 73 cars i can't seem to find a part number so the mistery continues.........
Cheers Huddo.

#25 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Aldo and Huddo
After talking John(Gong) through the week and like you said Aldo he also told me that the 73 xu1s didn't have spacers I looked back over the this thread and it makes sence.Look at the pic the Bazza has supplied with the spacers that longest one is 3 and half inches long and that would= 72 cross member as there was a part number for them.Now look at the pic that Bruce has put up 145mm centre to centre so that would make the 73 cross member well over 6 inches wide so them spacers would not fit and with no part number for the 73 spacer you have to assume no part number no part.
So yes I agree that there was no spacer for the 73 xu1.
Aldo don't need to post a pic of my cross member because I have discovered that I have a 72 cross member and the holes centre to centre is about 65mm.
Looks like I will be on the hunt for a 73 manual cross member.
cheers Dane

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users