330 stroker NO OIL PRESSURE

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:01 AM

Ok guys

have just dropped in the 330 stroker into my UC, engine is fresh (done abt 500ks) but has been sitting for about 8 months, we put a new JP std oil pump in it. It fired first go today however we were unable to get oil pressure. We even ran a mech guage to make sure it wasnt the sender but no oil up the line.

Before we fitted the oil pump we put a very light coating of vas on the gears and then filled the oil filter and pump itself. I have heard that this is a common problem with holden V8s that sit for a while and i have heard of people packIing the oil pump with vaso. Is this a tried and tested way of priming the pump or am i asking for trouble. If i pack more vas i guess i would take the plugs out and turn it by hand and see if we can prime the pump.

Any help & suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

(ohh and heres some pics of how its looking for those curious)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 _Barman_

_Barman_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:15 AM

Yep, ive had no oil pressure on start up too,
take your pump off and pack it with vasoline fit it and start it,
and ill also ask (cause its the silly things that bite in the bum)
is there oil in the sump?
cheers Baz

#3 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:04 AM

Common v8 holden problem, I use diesel assy grease instead of vaso, that way you dont have to change the oil again straight away.
Or ideally have a pressure canister, and feed straight into the sender unit hole. Is that a old style guage you are using to just check the pressure ?

Edited by rocket, 27 January 2010 - 06:07 AM.

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:33 AM

Or make one of these and simply fill the pump and pickup with oil, means its primed before you start and no crap in the oil

Posted Image

#5 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:46 AM

Leave the coil lead out until you have oil pressure,the bottom end want last long if running with no lube.The bloke who does my machine work has had a number of JP pumps that would not prime,they were all sent back & replaced.

#6 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:52 AM

^ Holden V8s won't self prime if the pump and pickup are empty, don't crank it to get oil pressure you'll never get there!

#7 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:23 AM

ive always used vaso for this give it a crack brad

#8 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:29 AM

Yeah, common problem. I have heard of the vaso trick as well... might be worth trying that!

#9 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:39 AM

we had a 308 commodore towed in here a while ago with the same problem. we found the shaft from the cam gear to the oil pump had a broken the pin.just something to check while the oil pump is off. if you cant turn the shaft its ok.

#10 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

I have seen a brand new shaft the wrong length as well and it wont mesh with cam, but if all you have done is replace pump I would say you haven't used enough vaso

#11 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

Yep forgot to say yes there is oil in the sump. Yea pump and filter are full...going to give the vaso a go now, how much should i pack in? And im guessing its just around the gears? Will also check to make sure the shaft is meshing (if i cant turn it it is meshing?)

So after its packed and assembled im guessing the most harmless way is to pull the plugs and turn it over by hand? Its an old style mech guage which you can see oil going up the line when you have oil pressure, so i guess when i can see oil up the line we should get oil when we put the plugs back in and crank it? The oil light should go off when we crank it with the starter? (not start it) cos i remember the 202 you could get the oil light to come off just by cranking. If the light goes off i guess its safe to fire it up again.

will see how we go

#12 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:50 AM

The 253 in the ute wouldnt get oil pressure no matter what we tried (vaso, priming it with an oil can etc)

In the end it turned out that a little relief valve on the pump was seized and that was causing all the dramas.

Have you got a spare pump?

#13 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

i do but its a JP HV pump, after seeing what it did to the old cam gear i dont wanna use it....how do i check this releif valve?

#14 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

Im not sure if thats what it actually is, thats just what it looked like to me!

On the face of the pump, there should be a little "pop out" plug looking thing. (shittty description)

from memory it was on the right hand side of the bolt up face.

Maybe try the other pump to see if you can get some pressure, if it primes up, then your other pump has dramas, if it doesnt, then you know you have problems elsewhere.

#15 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

got the pump apart now, if i pack the pump with vas, i guess i fill the filter but then do i try and fill the pump through the sender with oil aswell?

#16 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

The relief valve is fine, you can depress it with your finger easily.

Heres my vaso job, i assume thats packed enough to take up the clearances?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:57 PM

Thats about what we did, just use an oil can and fill the pump via the sender hole.

Obviously fill the filter as you would when you do an oil change etc.

Id say you should be right then

#18 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:59 PM

Fl***k yeaaaaaaaaaa!! oil light went off! i have oil pressure!! MANY THANKS ALL!!

Now basically we couldnt get oil up the line just turning it by hand so to take the load off the cam as potentially it may have been dry we took off the rockers, disconnected the gas and spark plugs were out and let the engine crank, oil light went off after about 4 seconds.

Still treating this as an initial startup as it is a brand new cam so am tuning up all of the rockers now, put the spark plugs and leads back on and hopefully will fire it up tonight will keep you posted

#19 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

WOOOOHOOOO!!!

#20 _Barman_

_Barman_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

Well done.

#21 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

Try to avoid cranking it without running, not really any useful oil pressure at cranking revs

#22 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

^ I cant comment for the 308s, but my chev with a good quality oil pump gets well over 20Psi on cranking.

Infact my startup routine every time is to leave the fuel pump OFF, crank the engine till the guage reads >20psi and the warning light goes out, THEN fire the fuel pump and start it!

Glad to hear it got sorted!

#23 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

I wonder if the crank floats while cranking Tiny?
What i mean is oil pressure alone does not lube the crank, the supply oil pressure is to create boundary friction (oil wedge principal that builds the layer of oil around the crank) it is the bearing clearance that dictates how much oil is bleed off.
For example changing to a thicker oil will give you high pressure quicker but the oil is actually feeding the bearing slower.

#24 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

Or make one of these and simply fill the pump and pickup with oil, means its primed before you start and no crap in the oil

Posted Image

Tell us more about this - must be better than packing with grease or vaso ...

#25 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

Wind it on and attach a hand pump to the tube, makes it really easy to fill the oil pump and pickup to fully primed within a few secs. Swap it for a filter and you're ready to go. I reckon its better than packing the pump with Vasoline as its quicker and zero crap introduced into the oil.

My comment about not winding it over on the starter above is specific to Holden V8s. Firstly the pump is either primed or not and no amount of cranking changes that. Also pressure is usually crap at very low rpm - many factory engines wouldn't turn the idiot light off at 500rpm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users