police isued chassis numbers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _Jeremy_

_Jeremy_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

looking at buying a lh torana l31 the car overall is ok for its age and it would be ideal for a resto project but for one thing that concenes me it has a nsw police issue chassis / engine number . As i dont know about this particular suject is there anyone outthere that knows why thay where isued and what the numbers and letters meen please help

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Usually it is for stolen and recovered or if the original numbers were unable the be read.
Have you tried ringing the RTA and asking them?
RTA is who would have required the numbers.

#3 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

It is not uncommon to find LH-UC Toranas with replacement police numbers. The reason is generally numbers tampered with as a result of theft and, perhaps more commonly, smash in the front right corner. If the front skirt with the chassis number was replaced during repair a police number was generally issued. No big deal back in the day, more of an issue in todays collector car market.

#4 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

The other reason a police number is issued is when the car has been damaged (involved in an accident) and the chasis number has been lost/removed.

eg. the torana ran up the back of another car and the driver side front rail/inner guard has had to be replaced. You loose the original chasis number and the car needs to have a new number issued.

Certainly does affect the resale price. Hope that helps.

#5 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

Are you looking at this car?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-Torana-SLR-5000_W0QQitemZ250562264311QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cars?hash=item3a56acbcf7

Its been discussed on the forum and in my opinion based on the photographs appears to be genuine.

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=42750&hl=police%20number&st=0

#6 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

Back in the day, if the governing body feared that the car is a "bitza" or have any doubts of it's originality, any stamped number would be obliterated by them prior to stamping a new number.

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

Back in the day, if the governing body feared that the car is a "bitza" or have any doubts of it's originality, any stamped number would be butchered by them prior to stamping a new number.

#8 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

After my crash years ago (pics in my profile) my car ended up with 3 different VIN numbers, the original VIN is still on the compliance plate, then i have a different one stamped in the front gaurd (from the front end parts donor vehicle) then a QLD Police issue VIN on the chassis rail (the now legal registerd VIN)

If you have help from the current owner,it should not be that hard to get enough information to put your mind at ease with relation to a VIN change, i carry copies of the paperwork showing the Police issuing of the Surrogate VIN in my glovebox, i dont feel its a un-reasonable request to ask someone to explain/show the reasons behind the necessity to apply a Surrogate VIN to a car for sale.

MT

#9 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

^You mean chassis number, not VIN. VIN is what goes on the rego papers after VL. Prior to that the chassis number is recorded.

#10 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

True ,but my story could be confusing to swap from chassis to VIN etc, VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number, i belive most people would of accepted a Chassis number would still fit within the discription as a "Number" used to "Identify" the "Vehicle" ?

But yes for the record, my Surrogate number is classed as a VIN (17 digits long) and the factory number is a chassis number, sorry if i confused anyone.

MT

#11 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

My Hatchback had a Police Issue chassis number. but mine came with a police report from the 90's saying it had a sectional repair. Whoever tried to stamp the number onto the car tried in the original spot first and it wouldn't work so they did it up near the front suspension mounts. Which made it even more confusing as it had a half finsihed number in one spot and a complete one in the other.

#12 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:49 PM

My Hatchback had a Police Issue chassis number. but mine came with a police report from the 90's saying it had a sectional repair. Whoever tried to stamp the number onto the car tried in the original spot first and it wouldn't work so they did it up near the front suspension mounts. Which made it even more confusing as it had a half finsihed number in one spot and a complete one in the other.

the numbers were generally carried out buy a chosen mechanic at the nearest work shop,they arn,t to concerned how it looks either,really he should have butchered the attempted number then applied the new one.

i,ve seen them done, and they use a cold chisel and make the worst mess ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users