Lc door hinge pins

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 _hkbathurst_

_hkbathurst_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:16 PM

I am unable to remove the pins on the passenger side of my gtr any hints on how to get them out as the drivers side was easy with a punch.The lh side just doesnt want to move at all so any help would be appreciatted. i am not too fussed if i scratch the paint as i am trying to strip it . cheers in advance Hkbathurst

#2 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:49 AM

The best tool to get a hold of is one that has been machined to slip around the head of pin. I machined up one years ago with a long bar welded to the end and a sliding weight to give it a yank. Guarentee never failed.

#3 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

hkbathurst, here's a scan of the page from the workshop manual showing the pin removing tool, its easy to make one from a metal bar, just grind the end down and mill or file a slot to fit over the end of the pin. One problem that happens is the pin wears where it swings on the hinge, if you place a jack under the end of the door and take the weight off the hinge it can make it easier to remove the pins.
grant
pin remover

#4 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:38 PM

I made up something like that tool. It pull 1/2 of the pin out. How do you get the other 1/2 out?

#5 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:00 PM

yep, i've had the same problem with a broken pin as well, the bottom bit came flying out with a couple of whacks of the tool and hammer i managed to tap the remaining bit up and out using a pin punch, i'd say it broke in service, the door had to be lifted so it would close, LC/LJ's you gotta love em!!! :D
grant

#6 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:58 PM

I tried to pull out the pin a week ago only to break the pin and it bloody broke inside the hinge, so i cut the top part of the hinge off with my new airsaw, just got to weld it back together again, after i drill out the pin inside the hinge.
Yep got to love them

#7 _208ci_

_208ci_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:43 AM

haha some of mine were broken in three peices so i heated them up with the oxy (car is going to be resprayed) and reefed em out with some cheap side cutters :lol: and knocked out the rest with a small punch... easier said then done though...

#8 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:03 PM

I tried to pull out the pin a week ago only to break the pin and it bloody broke inside the hinge, so i cut the top part of the hinge off with my new airsaw, just got to weld it back together again, after i drill out the pin inside the hinge.
Yep got to love them

Well done Bart lol

I was putting the pins in the other day and realised I should have not as i still had things to do and there stuck fast and not even fully in the hinge

Bugger

#9 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:24 PM

Bit of a tip here ... the Rare Spares ones are for some reason about 6 thou bigger than stock ones, when you bash them in the heads bend over.... be warned!!
R

#10 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:38 PM

i made up a tool out of an old crow bar
not only does it remove the pins it smashes things good :lol: :lol:
tension relief :rolleyes:

#11 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:35 PM

here's a tip with those lc/lj hinges. If you get desperate and have to cut the hinge, when rewelding it back on, use some never seize grease on the pins (its a copper based grease) , works a treat!

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:00 PM

i used a bit of heavy angle iron, grabbed the grinder and cut a slot in it to go over the head of the pin...peiceapissmate. then all ya need is a long steel bar and a bloody big hammer.

#13 _adamlcgtr383blownchev_

_adamlcgtr383blownchev_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:41 AM

I used an oxy to hit it out, but it still took ages. It didn't even budge, even with my old man and his friends givin it a crack.... Isn't that what dads are for?

I just heated it red hot and got them to hit it while I held the door (took about half a frickin hour for each pin).

Adam.

#14 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:29 PM

:furious: Far out the friggen door is not even on the car but the hinge is i cant get the friggen pin out :furious:

#15 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

I remember on the old forum someone was saying something about using commodore door pins for replacements. Which model was it, VN or something like that I think. Using them apparently make getting them out again easier.

#16 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:52 PM

HEAT " HEAT" HEAT" When there stuck fast heat the hinges! its the only
way i found thay would move ! although my ones came out with out any heat.
but the donor car i got one door off wouldent budge , so i heated it and out she came. useing a punch and hammer , the tools that pull them out from the head of the pin offen snap the the pin head off not good .......

dave.... :rolleyes:

#17 _torriechic_

_torriechic_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

I've been bashing at my pins for months now with all sorts of tools and have tried everything that has been suggested on this forum and others. One has broken and the end came out but is broken again. I'm so sick of these bloody door pins, does anyone know a panelbeater in melb that i can get to take out the pins for me? I'm in the north west.

Cheers :)

#18 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

must be really tight pins youve got there!!

if youve got one, an air hacksaw thing might be the best bet now youve snapped the heads off. just slice then through the middle and chase up new ones. havent come across any that wont come out with a good bashing myself.

#19 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

Mine came straight out with a tap with a pin punch :blink:

Tim

#20 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

One of the reasons I bought an LH and sold the LC! :spoton:
R

#21 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

I just sprayed WD40 on them left them 3days,got a pin punch and out they came.but when i went to put them back,i cleaned with a wire brush and applied grease to the pins,i did this job on them 6years ago,and i had to remove the drivers door earlier this year,I got the pin punch and the pins came straight out,cheers.

#22 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

The best tool to get a hold of is one that has been machined to slip around the head of pin. I machined up one years ago with a long bar welded to the end and a sliding weight to give it a yank. Guarentee never failed.

mine came out with the help of GTR161s
thanks kev :D :rolleyes:

#23 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

hey jono i made that tool when i was an apprentice, lost count how many pins it pulled out but i never had one that i couldnt remove.

I think the weight on end is about 5kg

http://s43.photobuck...oorpintool2.jpg

http://s43.photobuck...doorpintool.jpg

#24 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:07 PM

I had to use an air hacksaw, cut the hinge from the door not the pillar.
At least you can then drill the pin out if you have to, or you will have more room to swing a hammer to bash the pin out of the hinge.
The hinge you cut off the door can be welded on again.

#25 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

Taking pins out or installing them ,if your swinging a hammer , I found masking tape up both sides , avoids chipping paint .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users