fuel pump set up 5ltr in LX

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _robrenjus_

_robrenjus_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

i need some advice and opinions on fuel pump set ups for my 5ltr into lx hatch project .i am designing the car to be mostly street driven and am Not trying to achieve 9 second quarters. i would like to take it out on the track on rare occasions but basically its a street car . At the moment i have a lower pressure carby type electric pump under the drivers side rear seat from the old engine ,do i
#1. remove the low pressure pump and put in a high pressure pump and run a return line back into the top of the tank??
#2.fit a surge tank into the false floor ,use the low pressure pump to supply fuel to the surge tank then feed an efi high pressure pump?? OR
#3. if possible ,use the low pressure pump to supply a surge tank mounted where the charcoal canister is in the engine bay (is this legal in NSW) then to a high pressure pump, the fuel rail, then from the regulator back to the surge tank and a return line to the main tank. Has anyone done anything similar to this??where is a good place to put the return line?? can the charcoal canister be moved to just behind the r/h headlight if i use the smaller commodore one??
any help or advice is much appreciated ,cheers...

#2 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

if you can, modify the original in tank sender to accomodate an in tank walbro type fuel pump, then mount an adjustable bypass style fuel reg(not a diaphragm bypass)next to fuel tank. the return line can come from the reg into the tank, so very short. this way only 1 fuel line runs to front of vehicle and it maintains constant pressure. hardest part is mounting the pump. system works well, dosent heat the fuel as much coz not circlating so much from engine to tank and very compact. done this alot with v8 efi conversions on 4wd`s.

#3 _robrenjus_

_robrenjus_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

thanks ozy, i'll definitely look into that set up although without baffles in the tank i am worried about fuel surge when i am cornering (hence swirl pot question ) . The stock Torry tank is also a bit small and i have even been considering trying to use the vp commodore donor cars tank ,has anyone ever tried to fit one ??is it even feesable??

#4 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

no prob, i have seen a few issues with conversions past 12 months with using return lines, they can cause the fuel to heat up, then causes vapourizing probs. has been especially evident with ls1 and ls2 engines.

IF you can go to the trouble of fitting a commodore tank it would make it easier, or fit the internal swirl pot to the torana tank.
another cheap solution, how legal it is not sure fir a box section at the bottom of tank to create a low spot, have the pick up sitting in the box.
if you want bigger tank which is not a bad thing with torana might be easier to pick up a alloy drop tank, or have one made. it can be done for a reasonable price if you hunt around.

#5 _robrenjus_

_robrenjus_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:47 PM

it looks like an alloy drop tank is the go , i was just after a cheaper way out .i pulled the tank out of the commodore and it looks like it is an impossible task to get it to fit the torana. I could make the commodore sender and pump fit the torry tank but fuel surge ,low capacity and i want to use the torry fuel guage prevent this. oh well back to the old drawing board .does anyone know anyone on the central coast who makes custom tanks (or has a drop tank for sale).

#6 _nunganunga_

_nunganunga_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

I fitted the internals of a commodore fuel tank to a lc fuel tank and ran an efi system. I drove this car around for years without any problems.
The plastic swirl pot inside the tank uses the return line and a venturi to scavenge any dregs of fuel to ensure constant pump immersion under most normal conditions and fuel levels.

Cheap, simple, and effective.

#7 _robrenjus_

_robrenjus_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

with much caution i am now in the process of fitting the commodore pump and internals to the torry tank. Everything seemed straight forward at first , i decided to fit the pump to the front r/h/s corner (thats the only place where there is enough room ), this does pose 2 problems, i found out. #1 the swirl pot needs to sit flat and it requires deepening of that area of the tank and flatening of the part of the tank where the strap goes.#2 there is a dome or baffle that has to be cut in that area of the tank but other than that , so far so good.

#8 _robrenjus_

_robrenjus_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:26 AM

this is wot i dun.(i hope it works)Posted Image

#9 _robrenjus_

_robrenjus_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:39 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

trial fitting the swirl potPosted Image

#10 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:36 PM

mmmmmmm any more progress....

#11 _robrenjus_

_robrenjus_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

mmmmmmm any more progress....

yep its all done pics to follow. 100 bucks and a six pack of beer and my radiator guy has done an awesome job of putting this all together again.

#12 _robrenjus_

_robrenjus_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users