355 engine build

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _77lx355_

_77lx355_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

hey guys im ready to start building a 355 stroker for my lx 4 door i was just wondering what the best block is to use.... ive heard that many stories about dramas had with blocks, should i be using an early model block or a late model commodore block????? and do these late model vn vp vr vs blocks bolt into the torana ??????? i have scored a complete set of vn heads and harrop high rise manifold of a mate so that will be included in the build.... any idvice on this will be great

#2 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

The VT (maybe even VS?) commodore blocks already have allowance for a stroker crank... if you use a earlier block you will have to pay for some extra machine work for crank/rod clearance...

I believe the later blocks are also slightly stronger with more webbing... plus the fact that there simply newer compared to say a Red block...

BUT be careful, depending on state.. if you use a late model block you have to use late model pollution gear so would be worth checking that first... But if its already licensed the average cop isnt gonna ping you for it on the side of the road.

And yea they bolt straight into Torana, just have to use the relevant mounts

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

The VT (maybe even VS?) commodore blocks already have allowance for a stroker crank... if you use a earlier block you will have to pay for some extra machine work for crank/rod clearance...

These blocks are also set up for roller cam so take that into consideration too.

#4 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

series 3 vs utes have the vt rollercam eng

#5 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

do the vs hsv enhanced utes have the rollercammed vt engine?

cheers

#6 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

Just remember that the late model commodore blocks are turbo pattern, what gearbox are you running/intending to run?

If you need aussie/trimatic pattern, you need to drill some additional bolt holes and enlarge the holes in the bell housing for the dowel pins.

#7 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Have you bought any bottom end stuff yet? If not why not spend a few hundred extra and go 383 cubes? You wont regret it.
Your engine number can be changed to suit that old dead red 308 block you have sitting in the backyard and no one will ever know. Takes all the worry away regarding pollution requirements.
R

#8 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

x2 on getting 383... I got 355... for umm... well donno why... shoulda went 383....

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

Your engine number can be changed to suit that old dead red 308 block you have sitting in the backyard and no one will ever know. Takes all the worry away regarding pollution requirements.
R

Please tell me more, how do I get this done?

#10 _77lx355_

_77lx355_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:35 PM

R

thanks guys for the info... well i havent bought a bottom end combo yet just waiting to see what block i get first but ill probably be getting a come racing stroker kit they are they best ive heard so far....id love to do the 383 or extr hp but ive heard a few bad points about them...is using a new commodore block ok with the 383 strokers???.... id really like to use a trimatic if i can i have a mate that builds a pretty wild one he owes me a favour so that will be it he has a lx hatch back with a 355 stroker 350hp that does 11.2 he also has a bit of fun on the burnout pad doing forward to reverse with the foot flat and has had the same gearbox for about 3 years now so they cant be to bad....

#11 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

do the vs hsv enhanced utes have the rollercammed vt engine?

cheers

as far as i know its only series 3 utes as they ran the series 1 vt motor. so if its a a series 3 hsv enhanced eng then yea series 1 or 2 no.

i dont know about series 3 engs but hsv enhanced dosen't mean much in early engs they ran a different memcal that uses a knock sensor and they use different headers and exhaust.

#12 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

R

thanks guys for the info... well i havent bought a bottom end combo yet just waiting to see what block i get first but ill probably be getting a come racing stroker kit they are they best ive heard so far....id love to do the 383 or extr hp but ive heard a few bad points about them...is using a new commodore block ok with the 383 strokers???.... id really like to use a trimatic if i can i have a mate that builds a pretty wild one he owes me a favour so that will be it he has a lx hatch back with a 355 stroker 350hp that does 11.2 he also has a bit of fun on the burnout pad doing forward to reverse with the foot flat and has had the same gearbox for about 3 years now so they cant be to bad....

Sounds M A D man, sure the tailshaft loves it.

Now where do I get my block stamped?

#13 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

ive got a come 355 in my clubby. if i had built the eng i woulda went 383 or i think they do 396 now.

theres no replacement for displacement

#14 _77lx355_

_77lx355_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

ive got a come 355 in my clubby. if i had built the eng i woulda went 383 or i think they do 396 now.

theres no replacement for displacement

yeah id love to do the 383 but the guy who is building it for me is even tryn to tell me 355...will the 383 stroker with stock vn aluminium heads and harrop highrise.750dp and either solid or roller cam be a decent combo?? wat kind of hp would that roughly get??

#15 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:44 AM

i wouldnt use a vt block on a budgetish engine.the lifter bores are all over the place and really need machining,and it has been known that alot of the blocks need to be tunnel bored because they are very average.

i bought a brand new vt block for my engine and the builder wouldnt use it and told me to sell it. i used a vn block.

dont worry about clearance on a stroker crank it takes 45 minutes if you have done it before and chances are that you'll still have to do it with a vt block if you use bigger rod bolts or H beams.

#16 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

When the block (VT) used for the 383 was decked the engine number was a casualty. So instead of restamping the VT number we used the number of the old red 308 that tossed a rod out the side many years ago. It saved changing eng numbers for rego. I regarded it as legit given it was essentially a replacement part and the old block was beyond resurrection. I am sure others will have differing opinions.

There is no problem with a 383. I too initially built a 355, as always I got used to the extra power and wanted more. Would never build a 355 again given the minuscule cost difference in a total build.
To give you some guide, the first time we put the 383 together we used the heads, manifold and exhaust headers from the old 355 with a very similar big solid camand comp ratio. We made an extra 60 ftlb of torque. The light throttle response, low down grunt as well as the big boot response are all much nicer.
Dont listen to the nervous naysayers.
R

#17 _Harris_

_Harris_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

yeah id love to do the 383 but the guy who is building it for me is even tryn to tell me 355...will the 383 stroker with stock vn aluminium heads and harrop highrise.750dp and either solid or roller cam be a decent combo?? wat kind of hp would that roughly get??
[/quote]

Hey mate i got a come 355 stroker vt block with mild street roller cam and come twin throttle body that makes 300hp behind a vt manual. hope that helps

#18 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

Results of the builds in the above response?
The 355 made 405hp and 410 ftlb. Peak torque was at about 3800rpm and the peak power was 5500. Didnt dyno above this rpm so unknown if had more to go.
The 383 made 475hp and 470 ftlb. Peaks were at roughly same points and again didnt dyno above 5500. Power curves of both motors suggested they probably would have made a few more hp higher up. It didnt matter to me so we were gentle.
Its just a street car after all!
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users