Rare Spears SLR Steering Wheel and GTS mirrors?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hi Les

Had a look and feel of the new GTR/GTS/SLR/SS steering wheel at Rares Virginia yesterday, fantastic job, they are perfect.
I haven't as yet compared a NOS wheel against the new repro wheel but personally I reckon it will be hard to spot the difference.
The LC GTR and HK,T,G steering wheels are fantastic as well.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see the repro LC,HK,T,G indicator switch assy's (complete with new upper column bearing) hanging on the wall.

:spoton:
Cheers
Dave.

Edited by S pack, 26 February 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#27 _abtorana_

_abtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hello Les (help please)

i went to local holden parts place couple of weeks ago and ordered a set of GTS mirrors, they seemed to be taking a while so i was popping in once a week to check on order.

Went this morning and he rang Melb who tell him there is a "problem with the heads moving and you guys have, or are changing suppliers of these and could take up to 18mths before he sees any"

Can you please shed some light on this

Regards Adam

Edited by abtorana, 29 February 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#28 _BIGCAV_

_BIGCAV_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

les is away and its a sunday night so i cant shed alot of accurate light on the subject but from what i understand we are changing suppliers due to the manufacturers current abilities and not a quality issue, yes we beleive this may take a fair while, we are not currently sure on a time frame and we arnt advertising or pre selling any either

#29 _abtorana_

_abtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

thanks for the reply

i suppose i will just have to wait

regards adam

#30 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

G'day Les

congrats on the new steering wheels! Had a look at these at the Newcastle store and I am very inmpressed.

I do have a question for you..
Is there any chance of getting these made in other colours (Buckskin being my choice)?

I know that it would mean a minimum batch order of ??? but if people wanted these, and were willing to place a deposit, would it be possible?

At least if people paid a deposit (say 30%) you would know that you have firm orders once the batch number was reached.

I wonder how many others would be interested in this and I am thinking more so the HX/ HZ guys..

Once again, well done, they look great!

cheers
Mick

#31 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hi Les,

Is it possible to have our own steering wheels re covered, or does Rares out source the wheels.

#32 _abtorana_

_abtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

i bought a steering wheel for my lx
looks excellent and very happy with the quality and finish
just waiting on the gts/slr mirrors now

#33 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

As I just mentioned in the other thread - the GTS/SLR side mirrors are now in stock. I picked up a pair tonight. MINT!!

#34 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:scott
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

I'd like to add some feedback on the rares mirrors. I have several sets of originals. I put some rares on my panelvan. They look good and close enough for a mockup. Looks are not everything...

I lightly bumped one of my rares mirrors with my hip as I have done many times with original mirrors. The rares mirror broke to my surprise. The plastic shell is significantly weaker than on the originals.

I pulled the rares mirror to bits, glued and repainted the mirror and installed. First time out the mirror post broke in half and the mirror fell off. A look at the freshly broken cast revealed a grainy, weak casting - typical of poor quality imported castings that are so common.

No way I'd put these type of mirrors on my Torana.

#35 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

I lightly bumped one of my rares mirrors with my hip as I have done many times with original mirrors. The rares mirror broke to my surprise. The plastic shell is significantly weaker than on the originals.

Exactly what happened to me.  I complained to Rares about it, they replaced it no questions asked. It's been on the car a few years now, so far so good.

s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users