308 inlet manifold and water pump

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

Im connecting up to my inlet manifold and im stumped as to what outlet connection is what.....

Im new to the v8s so this has me confused..

There are 3 along the front - 1 on the drivers side and 2 on the passengers.

Are these all water? any air? which one is for the temp sensor and what do the others do??

Also - i have 2 outlets on the water pump and another 2 on the thermostate/top radiator hose outlet. I take it the ones on the water pump are the for the heater but what are the 2 on the thermostate/radiator hose outlet for?

If anyone can help that would be great!!

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

The connections on the thermostat housing supply hot water regardless of the thermostat being open or closed, these go to the heater and water heated manifold (if you have one). The connections on the top of the water pump are for the returns, i.e. the water comes back from the heater here.

The manifold holes at the front will go into the water jacket and are for the temp sensor (usually just this, extras can be blocked off). You will notice these are all on the same runner at the front which the thermostat housing is mounted on, this transfers water from one head to the other. If your manifold is water heated then you will see two more water connections, one either side of the carb. Any other small tapped holes are likely in the intake runners and will be for vacuum connections - brake booster etc.

#3 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

Great thanks.

I have a standard holden manifold. Are these water heated?

If it is water heated - correct me if Im wrong but I just plug up 2 of the manifold ones, use the other for the water temp sensor. Then I use 1 from the thermostat housing for the heater and plug up the other. Then the heater outlet goes to the water pump and then I plug up the the other.

Is that correct?

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

If its an early manifold it will be water heated (we're only talking about the bit under the carb here), later ones have an exhaust crossover. On the water heated ones, there is a flange with a small housing on the driver side and just a straight-upward tube on the passenger side. The driver side connects to the thermostat housing and the passenger side feeds the heater. They can be left entirely disconnected if you choose not to run the water heating, just go straight from the thermostat housing to the heater.

The water temp sensor goes into the runner at the front in (any) one of the threaded holes. Yes you can block off any other threaded holes not used, and your heater in/out description is correct.

If you have a thermostat housing with two smaller connections, you can run one of them directly to the other water pump return hole, this allows a small amount of coolant to bypass the thermostat and ensure circulation at all times.

This is an aftermarket manifold with just the heater and bypass connected:
Posted Image

This is a factory water heated manifold (water heater is disconnected but you get the idea):
Posted Image

#5 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like the previous owner has blocked off the water heating... See below pic.

I take it my 'number 2' is the inlet for the heated manifold and 3 for the outlet? what is the block off plate to number 1 stopping?

When you say connect the passenger side (number 3) to the heater did you mean the water pump?

Is the water heater just for the cold starts etc in winter? Im in QLD so I may not need this.

Edited by holdon, 18 March 2010 - 03:10 PM.

#6 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

Attached File  IMG_0248.JPG   222.52K   32 downloadsForgot the pic

#7 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

Attached File  IMG_0248.JPG   222.52K   32 downloadsForgot the pic

I don't think any of your numbers are water related.

1 is not blanked it's for the heat pipes to the automatic choke.

2 is blanked off but it's where the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve goes on models that require it.

3 is manifold vacuum (for brake booster)

Please feel free to correct me.

#8 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

^ All true.

You don't have a water heated manifold so forget all that (yours has the exhaust crossover).

The two fittings screwed in horizontally on the front edge of the manifold are in water, as are the thermostat housing connections. Everything else is manifold vacuum.

Run your hoses as per my first pic above with the short bypass and the longer hoses running to the heater and back. If you're not going to use the front brass fitting nearest the camera (probably not) then find a proper bung for it.

#9 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

Great - sounds like I have it all sussed now.

Thank you all for your help!!!!

Much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users