New issue of Just Torana's out

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

So wondering why no has posted new mag out with the detailed story of Brock 79 winner, interviews with all concerned etc
I am about half way thru it and have enjoyed it so far, one comment was John Shepperd say car ran 2.78 ratio, I remmeber discussing on here with RedA9X say it was much shorter. Other stuff that is interesting to me was I had chatted to Harry Firth over dinner a few years back and he was very proud of the fact the cars were little changed from what he built in 77, and so far reading John Sheperds comments that seems to be true, John spent a lot of time and effort fiddling with things but didnt make any major brak thru in terms of performance, just lots of little adjustment that yeilded small gains here and there, 12 horse power from changing the sump design but mainly only 2 or 3 horse power

#2 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

Yeah I bought it the other day - not impressed at all. The journalism is crap. I got sick of rereading the exact same thing 5 or 6 times over in different articles. And was the 1979 race 161 or 163 laps - seems the journo's can't even get that right. They also said there was only 1 non-Torana in the top 10 yet the pic of the top ten showed 2. Very very ordinary and I certainly won't be buying another issue.

I also found the interviews a bit boring and almost unbelievable - especially John Sheppards one where he continually states that they didn't change this or that and they were all factory parts and that they were just lucky etc etc. Possible but highly unlikely - come on its been 30yrs surely they could let out there some of their little secrets by now ??

#3 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

Well, thats positive.

Im yet to read mine.

#4 _ronaldoredsox_

_ronaldoredsox_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

No need to stop at the newsagents on the way to work tomorrow now. Thanks R

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

So wondering why no has posted new mag out with the detailed story of Brock 79 winner, interviews with all concerned etc
I am about half way thru it and have enjoyed it so far, one comment was John Shepperd say car ran 2.78 ratio, I remmeber discussing on here with RedA9X say it was much shorter. Other stuff that is interesting to me was I had chatted to Harry Firth over dinner a few years back and he was very proud of the fact the cars were little changed from what he built in 77, and so far reading John Sheperds comments that seems to be true, John spent a lot of time and effort fiddling with things but didnt make any major brak thru in terms of performance, just lots of little adjustment that yeilded small gains here and there, 12 horse power from changing the sump design but mainly only 2 or 3 horse power

John doesn't actually say the cars ran 2.78 ratio diffs, he says he thinks it was something like that. The L34 ran 2.78, the A9X was released with the 2.60 to be used at Bathurst. The thing was the A9X allowed a much larger rear tyre to be fitted, which gave a larger rolling diameter. This made the 2.60 useless. I spoke to John about this years ago and he told me 3.08 as did Bob Morris. I guess this weekend the Group C boys will be able to get some idea of the correct ratio at Bathurst. If you look at it this way though, a V8 Supercar uses a 3.15 diff at Bathurst, the rear wheel rolling diameter is smaller than an A9X was , top gear is still 1:1, and they rev a little harder, so 3.08 sounds about right for an A9X, exactly the same as the VC-VK Commodores ran.

#6 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

I dont know what ratio was run at Bathurst, Red you are saying 3.08 and I am not arguing, my only comment have been that I thought (not knew definitly) it was taller, and John Sheperd seem to confrim this, as for what happens this weekend, I do not believe this really will give a valid answer as the chase wasnt there back in days when the A9X ran and now it limits what the cars rev, run out to. Back in the day pre chase they would want to hit max revs just before breaking for Murrays where as now the have a much shorter conrod striaght so will want shorter diff to hit max revs sooner. At least thats my take on it, I dont claim to be an expert, just my thoughts on the matter, and I am happy to be educated to the contury

#7 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

yeah i had a read of it at the newsagents the other day and wasnt really impressed either...which is strange coz i normally buy up anything torana related.
i agree the articles didnt grab me and unfortunately i just didnt get that urge to buy it. oh well.

#8 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

John Sheppard says "....maybe we used a 2.78 ratio at Bathurst, and that may be so, but going up the hill is just as important as coming down the hill. So as I said, I would have done it at the time and recorded it in the books; but I don't recall."

Yes they have the chase these days, but the cars now have at least 620 horsepower and rev to 7500 every lap, reach speeds of close to 300 and brake a lot later. They have 6 gears to get them up to speed quicker, the old A9X had 4, top gear was still 1:1. The A9X had 400hp on a good day, reved to 6000, maybe 7000rpm on a qualifying lap and reached 260 km/h and had to brake a lot earlier.

#9 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

John Sheppard says "....maybe we used a 2.78 ratio at Bathurst, and that may be so, but going up the hill is just as important as coming down the hill. So as I said, I would have done it at the time and recorded it in the books; but I don't recall."

Yes they have the chase these days, but the cars now have at least 620 horsepower and rev to 7500 every lap, reach speeds of close to 300 and brake a lot later. They have 6 gears to get them up to speed quicker, the old A9X had 4, top gear was still 1:1. The A9X had 400hp on a good day, reved to 6000, maybe 7000rpm on a qualifying lap and reached 260 km/h and had to brake a lot earlier.

I am aware of what the current cars have and do, I was making reference to your comment about the Group C boys racing this weekend, who may not have their cars set up the same as back in the 70s because the chase makes a differnce.

Again I am not claiming any inside knowlegde or anything only that with conrod straight now then the glory days of group C the Group C cars running this weekend will / may run a shorter diff then they did back in 77 / 78 / 79

#10 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:44 PM

I'm not trying to be a smartarse mate, I'm just pointing out some facts.
The Group C cars could and most likely will be set up differently as there are variables involved such as the tyres may not have the same rolling diameter as in 79, the straight is slightly shorter, the cars will only be doing a few laps etc....

#11 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

Bought it a couple of days ago with latest Street Machine, only flicked through it at the moment but looking at the replies don't think i'll be in a hurry to start reading it. Start work on Friday, might take it in and read it while getting loaded, it should last me through this cycle.

Mort

#12 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

LOL Redrida and niteA9x you are both making sence.

#13 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

Cruiza,

you wouldn't want to hit your top speed/rpm just before Murrays, you'd want to spend a fair and reasonable amount of time travelling downhill as fast as you could. �The boys would have been beginning to brake at about the distance of the pit entrance today, if not further back.

#14 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

Cruiza,

you wouldn't want to hit your top speed/rpm just before Murrays, you'd want to spend a fair and reasonable amount of time travelling downhill as fast as you could. The boys would have been beginning to brake at about the distance of the pit entrance today, if not further back.

From watching the racing all these years and seeing the interviews with drivers I have been under the impression that they dont want the cars sitting on the rev limiter, but rather hitting max revs just as they need to brake for the next corner, given that the last few km per hour are slow to achieve

#15 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

Cruiza,

you wouldn't want to hit your top speed/rpm just before Murrays, you'd want to spend a fair and reasonable amount of time travelling downhill as fast as you could. The boys would have been beginning to brake at about the distance of the pit entrance today, if not further back.

From watching the racing all these years and seeing the interviews with drivers I have been under the impression that they dont want the cars sitting on the rev limiter, but rather hitting max revs just as they need to brake for the next corner, given that the last few km per hour are slow to achieve

Thats true, but as grant said, they had to brake earlier as well. remember the brakes were a lot smaller and they didn't have pad changes back then. I remember Bob Morris telling me on a qualifying lap they braked just on the last hump and hoped the car would slow enough to get through the corner.

#16 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

OK this next post is going to put me in the 'what a sad barstard catagory' I emailed Dan Bowden who looks after several A9X race cars including Brocky's 78 and 79 bathurst winning cars. Now when I sent the email I said that some were suggesting 3.36 or something similar, my bad the suggestion was 3.08

"Hi Michael,

At Bathurst it certainly did not run a 3.36 or anything close.. I know this as we are running that ratio now in the 1979 car and it was a disaster at Bathurst in the speed comparison event. The A9X with Brock at the wheel was hitting 7000rpm on the first hump at conrod. How I wish we could have go back and change the rear end ratio for that event�

Sheppo would be on the money I think!

Cheers,
Dan"

The speed comparison event he is refering to was Skaife in a current V8 supercar, Mc Convile in a new HSV and Brock in the 79 bathurst winner, this was done in 2004 i think

#17 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

^ Correct, they did all the time trials on the Saturday afternoon in 2004. Not sure what the intent was, but I think they were hoping all 3 cars would cross the line at the same time. Didn't turn out that way though. I have the video of the two laps somewhere.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 29 March 2010 - 08:36 PM.

#18 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:59 AM

OK this next post is going to put me in the 'what a sad barstard catagory'

Yes. Yes it does. :tease:

#19 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

vote 2 for that one it's been said over and over now.
Next time you speak to Harry Firth ask why the diff failed in Harveys car in 77.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users