LC front grill

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _micko 1980_

_micko 1980_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hi all,

Has anyone got any ideas on how to streighten and fix the little metal bars on an LCs grill?

Or is there somewhere that it can be sent to get fixed?

Also can they be recromed?

#2 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

there was a thread on this ages ago that had a heap of suggestions on how to fix them. they can be reattached by possibly using a solder or welding?? someone in the thread mentioned a jeweller being able to reattach them. try the search function (although it seems to return everything but what you actually want).
how damaged are you talking about coz you can very gently bend them back into alignment if they arent too bad.

#3 _micko 1980_

_micko 1980_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

Cheers lcgtr1970

Yeah have tryed the search fuction a few times with different things and it never brings up what
you want, or I'm useing it wrong.

It's mostley ok, just looks like someone has sat on the nose of the car and it has squashed
the middle. But sort of down diagnely to the left.

I will post some pics from home tonight if we have power back on.

What about the crome can it be redone?

#4 _quick6torana_

_quick6torana_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

Cheers lcgtr1970

Yeah have tryed the search fuction a few times with different things and it never brings up what
you want, or I'm useing it wrong.

It's mostley ok, just looks like someone has sat on the nose of the car and it has squashed
the middle. But sort of down diagnely to the left.

I will post some pics from home tonight if we have power back on.

What about the crome can it be redone?

They arn't actually chromed. Its just polished in some places and anodised. Being aluminium its very difficult to get chrome to stay on if you did electro plate it(tends to just peel and fall off.

#5 _micko 1980_

_micko 1980_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:46 PM

Yeah I was'nt sure if it was crome or not I had a feeling that it would'nt be.

What is the best way to polish it? Just a cloth and a tube of that auto polish?

Pics

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

yip i got one just like that, (and im sure every other lc owner can say the same)
got mine out a while ago and looked at it but it became abit daunting so i put it away again.
mine shows signs of repairs on the bars so i guess if we can determine the material its made from a delicate "weld"
could be made
As you know all those bars have a shape in them aswell so that makes is that much harder.
my conclusion was that it was going to take time and patience

#7 _micko 1980_

_micko 1980_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

There was one on ebay the other night in pretty good condition, I put in some bids
until we got the blackout from the storm.

The next day it had sold for only $320.00.

Spewing

Has anyone tryed cutting out a section from the right or left hand side on a spare grill.
Shaping it a bit, cutting out the broken section in the middle of the grill that you are
using and welding the new section into it's place.

I've got a good mate who is a jeweler. I assume they can weld the bars, or do you stick them
togeather with lead or something?

#8 VitcLJ

VitcLJ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

There is a solder called ALUSOL that has a flux in it that allows you to solder aluminium and other metals such as stainless steel and nichrome. Its available from Farnell Electronics. here is a link.
http://au.farnell.co...9443?Ntt=alusol
Its not cheap but does a good job on aluminium if you have a good iron fizzes a bit as you work.
Make sure when you use it that the metal is clean and you dont have to work it too much after soldering.
I would not recomend that it is used to fill large gaps better to get new aluminium as it wont polish up too well and is a slightly greyer colour.

#9 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name:Daz M
  • Car:1971 LC 4 door

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

See Prahran Platers in Malvern Rd Prahran. If they cant fix it then it cant be fixed. But be prepared to wait about 6 months as they dont rush.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users