Banjo Torana stud convert to HQ stud

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _TRRANA_

_TRRANA_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

I have an LSD Banjo drum brake diff in my LH. It is in torana stud pattern. I would like to convert it to HQ stud pattern.

Has anyone done this whilst retaining the standard torana drum brake setup? Ive noticed it would seem dodgy to drill the flange because of lack of room and weakening of the steel.

If was to get some custom made Billet/Moser axles do you think the size of the axle face would foul behind the drum etc? (drum would have new stud holes drilled by engineer)

People may say replace the diff with a nine inch with hq stud etc, but this diff is fully fresh with new brakes, so i was just seeing if its just as easy as banging in a new set of axles, so i can remove them at anytime if i wanna go back to normal stud.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dorzy

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,119 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:15 PM

If you get new axles in 4.75" PCD (HQ-WB) stud pattern just use HQ-WB drums and backing plates with Torana handbrake cables. Will all bolt in. You can even do the conversion early if you like by putting the HQ-WB backing plates and shoes on with the Torana axles and simply use HK-HG drums. When you get new axles in, just put HQ-WB drums on it. Simple.

Before you get new axles made though, go and find some HZ or WB disc brake Salisbury axles and measure the flange diameter. I think you'll find they are awful close to Torana flange size as the disc has to go over them. These are a small flange with 4.75" PCD, so do the sums. Maybe a Torana sized flange can be OK with HQ stud pattern? Talk to a quality diff shop first though!

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:18 PM

Well obviously the drums would need to be replaced or modified as well as the axles so that the studs actually fit through.

Yes it can be done - an L34 runs a Banjo with HQ pattern, but I don't believe that the drums are Torana drums.

Is it feasible? Well not really. I can understand swapping the axles to go back to Torana pattern, but if you want to do that, the BEST way is to have a Borg Warner 78 series rear end with a pair of HQ axles & rotors and a pair of Torana axles & rotors.

Either way it costs a bit to get where you want to be. If you want to have some real fun with the car, you'll probably need a tougher diff anyway. If you're not into that kinda thing, well yeah it's still expensive for not a lot of gain!

#4 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

What about torana mounts on a HQ banjo diff?

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

I have an LSD Banjo drum brake diff in my LH. It is in torana stud pattern. I would like to convert it to HQ stud pattern.

Has anyone done this whilst retaining the standard torana drum brake setup?
Dorzy

No, the drums will not fit.
You will need to change the whole braking system on the rear to go to HQ pattern.

#6 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

There is a pair of axles on ebay atm that are Torana length that have been modified for HQ stud pattern

this is the answer on how it was done
Holes filled,From what I can see they have removed old studs, filled holes, welded a ring onto flange, turned in lathe to clean up and true, redrilled new stud pattern,new wheel studs fitted, larger supporting ring added to centre, new wheel bearings fitted. It was also explained to me as such when I had it done.

The other option is to find a pair of genuine L34 axles and use hq drum brakes as std Torana brakes will not fit

or get some Hq or 1 tonner axles shortened and resplined

I may have a pair to sell

tn

#7 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

redrill the torana drums? mmmm. bit dodgy

#8 _TRRANA_

_TRRANA_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems a bit of a head ache regarding effort/cost as mentioned. Having more of a think, I should do things properly, so I may just pull the whole diff out and keep spare, and spend the extra cash and try and find myself a big fat 9 inch that is all setup and ready to go...being my car is a worked 308 with a stall etc. Jeez this car is keeping me poor...but its all worth it

#9 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

R31 Skyline BW78 - go see the how to.

Cheaper, lighter, and you won't be needing anything stronger IMHO.

If you still want drums, go the HK-T-G 10" drums then just swap the drum over to an HQ-J-X-Z later when you change to HQ pattern/diff.

Grant..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users