V6 into an LX

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _76_LX_

_76_LX_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

I'm considering putting a newer motor (V6 Ecotech from a VT Commodore with the auto g/box) into my LX Torana, instead of the 253 that's currently in there. Was just wondering if anyone has done this conversion already and if there was any modifications I need to do to bolt this motor in. Or if anyone could point me in the right direction, would be great. Cheers! :)

#2 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

www.v6conversions.com

#3 _freddy_

_freddy_
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

www.v6conversions.com

+1 for that

#4 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

As noted V6conversions do a kit, as does CRS (V6Conversions one is better AFAIK) and numerous members have done this job, notably V6Hatch who may be able to answer your questions. If you can't get him, try hatchblack (V6Hatch's dad).

Grant..

#5 _freddy_

_freddy_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

just received my wiring kit from v6 conversions today kit had gearbox x-member, speedo cable and wiring it looks like a very straight forward plug and play and it is very clean wires are wrapped up and plugs very happy so far and great price. mine is for a 5.0lt to a torana.

#6 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

As noted V6conversions do a kit, as does CRS (V6Conversions one is better AFAIK) and numerous members have done this job, notably V6Hatch who may be able to answer your questions. If you can't get him, try hatchblack (V6Hatch's dad).

Grant..

Or me lol. Sorry I was a bit lazy when I replied but tried to help by giving him a link to where he could get info he needed.

The ecotec conversion is a bit more of a pain in the bum, due to most things being electric etc. Thats why myself, V6Hatch, Youngy etc have all opted for the VN-VR buick motor. The V6 will offer a bit more power than the 253, not to mention reliability and ease. The conversion is pretty straight forward and V6conversions offer a package which will provide you with everything needed to make the conversion relatively simple. There are many things in the kit which you could fabricate yourself if you wanted to, but the conversion kit just makes everything easier lol.

If you need any info about it there are many of us here to help!

Good luck!

#7 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

I'm just not going to suggest you until you build me a Torailer, Mitch :P

That, and I spent alot of time in Simon's hatch (and Hatchblack's until he went GTR on us).

Grant..

#8 _76_LX_

_76_LX_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:08 AM

Cheers for the help guys! :)

Heh I was wondering why I've read about alot of VN/VP motors going in, and stuff all about the Ecotechs! Just even reading stuff about putting the Buick in, seems like it's all going to be a mission and a half..and an expensive one at that! Just so happens as I've got a spare Series 1 Buick sitting in the garage already (bought it as a spare for my ute (which is Series 2, so kinda glad it didn't get used in it) - cuz we thought the heads were a goner)...also have 4x 253's sitting in the garage too! I guess my only concern is how hard will it be for the 253 to pass emissions testing while going over the pits. :dontknow:

#9 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

Yeah I went for the Series 2 VP V6 due to a couple of things, It was very hard to find a manual Ecotec and as mitch said there is a few other issues such as the security system but there is ways around everything now days.

There is a fair bit involved in the conversion and some of the stuff from the conversion kit we had to modify which was quite frustrating.

As always its what you want out of the car/engine. Most buicks are nearly 20 years old and if your going to all the trouble doing the conversions etc, I would suggest getting the engine rebuilt which will cost no less than $3000.

If not you may be better to try and find an ecotec with not too many kays and spend the little bit extra on getting it fitted etc. but it wouldn't need rebuilding.

Heres mine

Posted Image

Edited by youngy_11, 09 April 2010 - 11:11 AM.

#10 _76_LX_

_76_LX_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

Nice and tidy engine bay you have there! :)

When I first started rebuilding my Torana, I figured I'd want it to last ME another 30 years. So, keeping that in mind - either way I go I figured I'll still be up for an engine rebuild of some sorts.

Personally, I wish the other half would let me strip my ute (VG Commodore) - use the motor in the Torana..and the rest of the ute can be turned into a new rock crawler (as that's another hobby of ours). But alas, he reckons NO! :P

Luckily, I know a few guys that race super sedans/stockies at the local speedway and are ALWAYS on the hunt for new cars (bodies atleast) and aren't interested in keeping the motors. Received a phone call this morning asking if I'm interested in a Series 2, VP for a carton of Jim Beam. I'm thinking, hell yes I'm interested!

#11 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

BTW, 4.2L stroker cranks are available for these V6s.

#12 _76_torana_

_76_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

Cheers for the help guys! Posted Image

Heh I was wondering why I've read about alot of VN/VP motors going in, and stuff all about the Ecotechs! Just even reading stuff about putting the Buick in, seems like it's all going to be a mission and a half..and an expensive one at that! Just so happens as I've got a spare Series 1 Buick sitting in the garage already (bought it as a spare for my ute (which is Series 2, so kinda glad it didn't get used in it) - cuz we thought the heads were a goner)...also have 4x 253's sitting in the garage too! I guess my only concern is how hard will it be for the 253 to pass emissions testing while going over the pits. Posted Image

well iv recently finished putting in a vs ecotec and t5 manual into my lx. and let me tell you i had fair bit of trouble. not because of the engine but mainly the gearbox. if id had just put an auto in it or a getrag box i wouldn't have had so much trouble.. but anyway. i know its a little harder to put the eco tec in but i love it!!!!! and its something completly different. if your interested i can put up some pics and give you a bit more detail in what i had to do and where i had troubles.? i cant say iv been in a vn or vr v6 powered torana but my god the vs motor and the 5 speed is awesome! it was so worth all the stuffing around. Posted Image

cheers.

#13 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

have you considered a injected 5.0L? if your going to the effort of doing a injected motor there wouldn't be alot more cost involved in going a v8 over v6. you can pick up vn/p 5.0L's cheap these days and they have so much more potential than v6's. not that there is anything wrong with a v6

#14 _76_torana_

_76_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

have you considered a injected 5.0L? if your going to the effort of doing a injected motor there wouldn't be alot more cost involved in going a v8 over v6. you can pick up vn/p 5.0L's cheap these days and they have so much more potential than v6's. not that there is anything wrong with a v6

i would have taken that road too if it weren't for stupid p plater laws. and yet my v6 goes better than the 253!! or i could just go jump in a 190kw commodore?? or a 210 kw ve?? id like to see a stock 253 or 308 run rings around them...

#15 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

what Vinny said mate the 5.0L's are so cheap to pick up these days its not funny Posted Image

#16 _yousea_

_yousea_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

well iv recently finished putting in a vs ecotec and t5 manual into my lx. and let me tell you i had fair bit of trouble. not because of the engine but mainly the gearbox. if id had just put an auto in it or a getrag box i wouldn't have had so much trouble.. but anyway. i know its a little harder to put the eco tec in but i love it!!!!! and its something completly different. if your interested i can put up some pics and give you a bit more detail in what i had to do and where i had troubles.? i cant say iv been in a vn or vr v6 powered torana but my god the vs motor and the 5 speed is awesome! it was so worth all the stuffing around. :spoton:

cheers.

Im doing the buick V6 out of a VP into my UC with the T5 5 speed what did you have to do to fit the T5 as im having trouble

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users