Front brakes holding on

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hi,

I have a 290mm twin piston hopper stoppers brake kit fitted to the front of my LX hatch back.

The kit was purchased in 2007 and the car has been on the road for about 6 months now 2000-3000 km.

Posted Image

The front right(driver side) brake is holding on and with the car jacked up it is hard to turn the wheel by hand, the left hand side is ok but not the best when comparing to my VZ V6 ute.

I have taken the calipers off and pushed the pistons all the way out and put some libricant under their rubber boots.

I have had my brake guy look at it and he says it should come good but Im not sure as the cars done a fair bit of driving now.

Im thinking it could be the geometry between the caliper holding braket (silver braket above) and the rotor.

Should the rotor be directly in the middle of the caliper bracket?

What actually forces the pistons back in when the brake is not on?

Any comments appreciated

Edited by youngy_11, 07 April 2010 - 01:40 PM.

#2 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

I'm pretty sure that the disc pushes the rotor back out.....that's how they automatically adjust....

Maybe the caliper piston needs a lube? Or it could be a master cylinder issue? Ie not releasing pressure when it should?

I'm no expert, but that's what I would check first.

I'd also wait for Datto or someone of similar experience to comment before you listen to me. Posted Image

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

LS1LX had the same problem.

See this thread for details.

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

That's a bit of a worry.

#5 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

Not wrong. I will be calling them today :(.

If not could I get the pads machined down a little to give me an extra bit of room.

#6 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:34 AM

They are brakes your talking about, why not fix the problem?

#7 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

Yes I to want to fix it.

I spoke to hoppers and they believe that they have never heard of problems with the PBR calipers :dontknow:

He suggested to crack the line at the different stages,i.e. bleed nipple then hose etc. and see if its retaining pressure and work out where the tight spot is.

Edited by youngy_11, 08 April 2010 - 11:42 AM.

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

You may not have the same problem as LS1LX. There are other things to check suggested in the thread.

It would be worth seeing if you can get your hands on a set of worn pads to try in the calipers.

If the problem is brake pressure related then you would expect both calipers to hold on the same.

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,536 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:13 AM

Yes I to want to fix it.

I spoke to hoppers and they believe that they have never heard of problems with the PBR calipers :dontknow:

He suggested to crack the line at the different stages,i.e. bleed nipple then hose etc. and see if its retaining pressure and work out where the tight spot is.

I found with our VS V6 (OEM calipers) when I fitted new DBS Gold front rotors and Bosch pads that there was very minimal clearance and the effort required to spin the road wheel by hand was unusually high. Was a bit worried about it but all came good after a while.

All disc rotors are made with a small amount of runout which kicks the pads back.
If you can push the pads back and the disc will spin relatively freely then machining the pads or the discs will probably not solve the problem.
You might have a blockage or restriction in the brake line to that caliper or in the caliper itself, one or both of the pistons may not be moving freely in their bores or the guide pins that hold the main body of the caliper to the bracket are dry, binding and need lubricating.
Visually check the brake piping to ensure it is not crushed or kinked anywhere along it's length.
I would first bleed the brakes and compare the pedal effort and flow of fluid from the bleeder nipples on both calipers (make sure you crack the bleeder nipples the same amount) to see if one flows easier than the other, this may indicate if there is an obstruction in the brake line or caliper.
Do LX models have a proportioning valve? Maybe there is a problem in it.

#10 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:38 AM

Discs don't have "factory" runout
If they did the car would have shudder from day one.... like BA falcons and VT commodores... lol
The seals actually pull the pistons back as the internal groove is cut on an approx 3 degree angle... so when you apply pressure the pistons actually roll the seals as they apply... when you release the seals roll back

Make sure everything sits square , the pads are flat and that the pistons move in the calipers easily and the slides move freely
Don't use anything petroleum based for lubrication as this makes the rubber seals and boots swell making the problem worse

#11 _luv the uc_

_luv the uc_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:58 AM

Just as a thought, was it drum brake before? Has the residual line pressure valve been removeed from the master cylinder? Not sure if these came out with drum front?

#12 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

No it was disc. I have fitted a VT commodore master cylinder.

I will check over the lines to make sure of no kinks etc. then Bleed each and see if there is any flow differences.

I have lubricated the piston seals and guide pins with silicon spray.

#13 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

You still have the adjustable rod between your new master and the booster I presume? Check that it isnt "too long" leading to minor activation of the master with the pedal released. I scored my hatch cheap due to its prior owner being unable to find this issue. He had incorrectly reassembled things after painting. When I looked at the car he had all the front brakes in bits and had given up!

#14 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,536 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

Discs don't have "factory" runout
If they did the car would have shudder from day one.... like BA falcons and VT commodores... lol
The seals actually pull the pistons back as the internal groove is cut on an approx 3 degree angle... so when you apply pressure the pistons actually roll the seals as they apply... when you release the seals roll back

Make sure everything sits square , the pads are flat and that the pistons move in the calipers easily and the slides move freely
Don't use anything petroleum based for lubrication as this makes the rubber seals and boots swell making the problem worse

Shudder occurs when there is excessive lateral runout in the rotor.
Disc rotors can have up to a maximum .004" lateral runout - source GMH LC & HQ shop manuals.
You are correct the seals grab the pistons and pull them back when the brake line pressure is released.
The runout in the rotor then knocks the pads away from the braking surface.

Rexy you could be onto something. As the master cylinder has been changed to one from a different model the master vac pushrod might not be adjusted correctly.
Also a swollen primary cup can block or partially block the compensation port causing residual line pressure.

#15 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

If the problem was related to residual brake pressure then you would expect both front calipers to hold on.

#16 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,536 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:43 PM

If the problem was related to residual brake pressure then you would expect both front calipers to hold on.

Theoretically correct but always expect the unexpected. Process of elimination will eventually find the true cause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users